Is it possible? (Trunkports)

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Cyberdyne
level1
level1

Is it possible? (Trunkports)

Postby Cyberdyne » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi, just recently bought Multiwinia. I once made some models and levels for Darwinia. And am now wanting to start playing around with Multiwinia before the editor is released.

A lot of features aren't present in Multiwinia, but does this mean also that they're not available at all for modders that might like to make a multi-level campaign?

I ask this because I'd like to develop what I did before with Darwinia into Multiwinia. And having trunkports work the same as they did with Darwinia.

i.e.
A multi-player game using trunkports to goto a different map either to run away from onslaught (although you may be followed), or jump into another map after defeating all the players to bring your army straight into play somewhere else.

Thanks.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:53 pm

I think maps are individual, and trunkports only serve as a possible periodic multiwinian spawn point, but there are some people using the darwinia editor to make maps for Multiwinia. Those can give you a definite answer.
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:22 am

Best to put it like this: Trunkports only act as special buildings, and are only gateways through the storyline. Really they just complete an objective to allow you to go to the next level. The only way to make it seem like things are going through is to connect an ai spawn point to a building that can be activated dynamically.(ie, blueprintconsoles, spawnpoints(sometimes gets errors) and I think even control towers).
I do see a way though this would work, but it'd lag a lot.
Cyberdyne
level1
level1

Postby Cyberdyne » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:43 am

So its impossible at the moment because the spawning of armour/dg's is set per map in the levels map/text file.

In Darwinia, trunkports became active when objectives were completed. When activated, this opened up another map(s) from the globalworld. Trunkports were the exits from the maps.

And no globalworld, so no way to link 2 or more maps together. Shame.

I guess the network code would have to be a lot more complex to deal with say 4 maps and upto 16 players at a time.
And trunkports to only become open when the map its linked to has an available slot for a human player. I guess my idea of a multi player darwinia is beyond multiwinia.

Nevermind. Silly idea anyway.

Silly Idea #2
Combine CTS gametype with RR.

Runs....
:lol:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:31 am

Cyberdyne wrote:In Darwinia, trunkports became active when objectives were completed. When activated, this opened up another map(s) from the globalworld. Trunkports were the exits from the maps.

That is not quite correct. A Trunkport is activated in Darwinia when the ControlTower linked to that Trunkport is brought online by an engineer. If that Trunkport is a mission objective (which, in Darwinia, it always will be, as activating Trunkports always become secondary objectives if they are not made primary objectives), then the objective is completed when the Trunkport comes online (NB: in Darwinia, all objectives are only completed when certain buildings are online, or, in a few cases, when certain research items are found).

Cyberdyne wrote:Nevermind. Silly idea anyway.

Not necessarily a silly idea, but not feasible with the current setup. What you are asking for is almost an MMO, to be honest.

Cyberdyne wrote:Combine CTS gametype with RR.

How would that work?

xander
Cyberdyne Systems
level1
level1

Postby Cyberdyne Systems » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:18 pm

I see that the new editor has lots of new entries in the language/english.txt.

Some of which imply that a single player campaign with a globalworld will be possible to make from scratch.

Is the new editor just hiding from us in 1.30?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:13 pm

Cyberdyne Systems wrote:I see that the new editor has lots of new entries in the language/english.txt.

Some of which imply that a single player campaign with a globalworld will be possible to make from scratch.

What "new editor" are you talking about? No level editor has yet been released for Multiwinia, unless, of course, you consider that the beta testers may have access to a beta version of the editor. Even if the latter were true, they couldn't talk about it, as it would likely be covered by IV's NDA.

If, on the other hand, you are talking about the items than can be found in the data files, I am pretty certain that everything from Darwinia is still in Multiwinia. This likely makes the task of working on Darwinia+ for the XBox much easier.

xander
Cyberdyne Systems
level1
level1

Postby Cyberdyne Systems » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:15 pm

I'm not asking anyone to talk about it (paranoia?), but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see what will be available to the editor when its released. As I said in my first sentence, all these strings are in data/language/english.txt. And they're definately not just strings left over from Darwinina. They are in the Multiwinia section of the language file.

Example of some;

Code: Select all

multiwinia_menu_campaign            Darwinia Campaign

multiwinia_help_campaign            Save all of Darwinia from an evil attacking virus in this single player story

multiwinia_editor_mapfilename       Map Filename
multiwinia_editor_create            Create New Map
multiwinia_editor_edit              Edit Existing Map
multiwinia_editor_change            Change Map
multiwinia_editor_nomapselected     No Map Selected
multiwinia_editor_current           Current Map:
multiwinia_editor_selectmap         Select Map
multiwinia_editor_mapexists         A map with this filename already exists.
multiwinia_editor_mapcreated        Map *F has been successfully created
multiwinia_editor_success           Success

# === new editor strings ==========================

editor_leveloption_0                   NoHandicap
editor_leveloption_1                   InstantSpawnCapture
editor_leveloption_2                   Trunkport Reinforcements
editor_leveloption_3                   Trunkport Armour
editor_leveloption_4                   No GunTurrets
editor_leveloption_5                   Attacker Reinforcements
editor_leveloption_6                   Defender Reinforcements
editor_leveloption_7                   Def. Reinforcement Type
editor_leveloption_8                   Att. Reinforcement Type
editor_leveloption_9                   Force Radar Team Match
editor_leveloption_10                  No Radar Control
editor_leveloption_11                  Num Zones for Airstrike (BK)
editor_leveloption_12                  Futurewinian Team
editor_leveloption_13                  Att. Reinforcement Mode
editor_leveloption_14                  Def. Reinforcement Mode

editor_checkcliffs                     Check Cliffs

editor_flattentype                     Flatten Type
editor_flatten_absolute                Absolute
editor_flatten_add                     Add
editor_flatten_subtract                Subtract
editor_flatten_subtract2               Subtract 2
editor_flatten_smooth                  Smooth
editor_threshold                       Threshold
editor_armourtarget                    Armour Target
editor_blockpowerups                   Block Powerups

editor_pickuponly                      Pickup Only
editor_maxheight                       Max Height

editor_forcecoop                       Force Co-op
editor_coop                            Co-op
editor_defenderpopcap                  Defender Pop. Cap
editor_coopgroup1                      Co-op Group 1
editor_coopgroup2                      Co-op Group 2
editor_attackingteams                  Attacking Teams

editor_basic                           Basic Options
editor_coop_options                    Co-op Options
editor_assault_options                 Assault Options
editor_map_options                     Map Options

editor_effects                         Effects
editor_effects_snow                    Snow
editor_effects_lightning               Lightning
editor_effects_dustwind                Dust Storm
editor_effects_soulrain                Soul Rain
editor_effects_speciallights           Special Lighting

editor_selectterrain                   Select Terrain Colour
editor_selectwaves                     Select Wave Colour
editor_selectwater                     Select Water Colour

editor_publish                         Publish
editor_description                     Description
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:35 pm

Huh. That's probably leftovers from when Multiwinia was still supposed to have Darwinia co-op in it. It was eventually found to not be fun, or something like that, IIRC.

xander knows.
Cyberdyne Systems
level1
level1

Postby Cyberdyne Systems » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:05 am

I hope they don't trim too much out that wasn't deemed 'fun' by a few people. Like the tank battle game type being dropped because of it being buggy on bumpy terrain. I still would like to have a go on a flat map with walls for cover. Tried editing it back in but its not selectable. Probably because the tankbattle type mission files need something specific that I haven't found yet.

I could've made an Atari Combat clone. But without bouncing grenades (ala pong).
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:25 am

It also does not take a brain surgeon to realize that when the editor is released, it will have to contain functionality specific to Multiwinia, so I don't see why you should be surprised that the language files contain strings that reference Multiwinia-specific functionality. I would also note that I did not say that everything in the language files that didn't make sense came specifically from Darwinia, only that there are still a lot of strings in there from Darwinia. Your post was very vague, and I couldn't really figure out what your point was, so I replied in the best way that I could.

Let me try again, hopefully this time I will answer the question that you were asking:
I see that the new editor has lots of new entries in the language/english.txt.

No dur. Of course there are going to be new entries for the level editor. It is not the same editor as was used by Darwinia. New functionality will have to be added to support Multiwinia-specific functionality, and it should come as no surprise that supporting strings are found in the language files.

I don't see how you get that impression. The strings in the Multiwinia language files are (a) from Darwinia, (b) specific to Multiwinia, and (c) specific to Darwinia+. What you are seeing as strings that imply the possibility of creating single player campaigns for Multiwinia are more likely strings related either Darwinia+, or editing single mult-player levels for Multiwinia. You have, thus far, not provided me with any specific strings that convince me otherwise.

IV have repeatedly stated that they will, eventually, release a level editor for Multiwinia. That editor has not yet been released, and no one but IV can say when it will be released, or what the version number of Multiwinia will be when it is released.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:35 pm

As far as I'm aware, scripting is entirely disabled in Multiwinia. If it isn't, chances are script trigger buildings are culled on map load. Without these there's not much you can do...
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:10 am

xander wrote:no one but IV can say when it will be released, or what the version number of Multiwinia will be when it is released.

In the future and x.y.z where x = 1, y => 3. ;)

NeoThermic
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:29 am

jelco wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:In the future and x.y.z where x = 1, y => 3. ;)

I can just picture this coming back and biting you in the ass when the time comes. :P

Jelco

Who's to say that I might be the person releasing that build? ;)

NeoThermic

Return to “Mods and Maps”