Multiwinia/Darwinia Compatibility?

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

00Davo
level2
level2

Postby 00Davo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:42 pm

00Davo wrote:Perhaps if Protologic was released as the Winia Dev CD? It could, like Darwinia+, incorporate both Winias, but have them running on one, hopefully stable, engine.

There would be no more official games to snap in (unless IV change their minds and release a third Winia game), but unofficial expansions would certainly be possible, it being a Dev CD. It would sell, too, if only for the super-powered mod capabilities afforded by a Dev CD. I'd buy it several times, both for me and to gift to friends, even though I already bought both Winias.

Because IV games need a subtitle, it could be called "Protologic: Chronicles Of Darwinia". And then the mods would be further chronicles and stuff, and it'd be really good.

QTSYGTAFAGBOMT.

(Quoted To Stop You Guys Talking About Fiascos, And Get Back On My Topic)

What does everyone think? Winia needs a Dev CD - every other IV game gets one - and if the Dev CD was as totally awesome as Protologic would be, not only devs would buy it, particularly if it was required to play mods using Dev CD features.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:09 pm

00Davo wrote:Winia needs a Dev CD - every other IV game gets one

Errr... as far as I know only uplink got a dev CD
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:28 pm

On the Xfire chat today they said they only sold the uplink code because "we were selling everything else" to avoid bankruptcy, "so why not".

Also, what you suggest is a completely different thing, something that would have to be either developed that way from the start, or go through a lot of integration testing.
00Davo
level2
level2

Postby 00Davo » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:58 am

Phelanpt wrote:On the Xfire chat today they said they only sold the uplink code because "we were selling everything else" to avoid bankruptcy, "so why not".

Bankruptcy? Ouch.

Phelanpt wrote:Also, what you suggest is a completely different thing, something that would have to be either developed that way from the start, or go through a lot of integration testing.

It's also something that would sell.

Development from the start would be pretty unnecessary, given that most of the necessary code is already written, in the form of Winia. There also shouldn't be too much integration involved - just porting the Darwinia-specific stuff to run in the Multiwinia codebase shouldn't be incredibly impossible. (Not that I have any idea what the Winia code is like - perhaps it is, indeed, incredibly impossible?)

There's also the possibility of releasing Protologic as simply a Winia Dev CD, without the complex integration work. The clever people who can do things with the Uplink Dev CD could handle the integrating part, and then release that code as a Protologic "snapin", although snapins wouldn't be quite as useful without the actual Protologic engine concept.

(Wasn't there a Defcon Dev CD?)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:22 am

No. There's an API for the AI, though.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch

Return to “Mods and Maps”