About the tank and Tankbattle Mode.....

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Krion112
level2
level2

About the tank and Tankbattle Mode.....

Postby Krion112 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:52 am

I was fiddling with the map "The Third Kind" and changed the armour to be the tank unit... It seems that it has only 1 downfall: the attack and move button are the same mouse button >.< making them rush towards the thing you just shot at , usually damaging the tank >.<. The good thing is, it can get a good range =D and seems to be resistant to the nades shock wave, so it only gets damaged when directly on top.... and of course resistent to laserfire.

Obviously there is no way to spawn them as a power up because it refuses to spawn when you left click in the placing zone....

also the mode Tankbattle seems to have from 2 to 4 players, each starting in a far enough distance apart....

such makes me wish they would be fixed in the next patch, but it is doubtful =|
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:09 am

The moral of the story: tanks don't work. That is probably why they were taken out of the game.

xander
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:10 am

yes, but they could be made to work if they actually wanted to .... which they probably dont, but as though I really give a darn
Last edited by Krion112 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:33 am

Tanks are also either way overpowered or tend to blow themselves up when their rockets hit small bumps, depending on the terrain. Which is not easy to fix.

And you capitalized xander wrong.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:52 am

The moral of the story redux: If IV took something out, it was because it didn't work, and they couldn't fix it.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:10 pm

But do they ever re-visit these dropped concepts to tweak and see if they can be made to work?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:21 pm

Kuth wrote:But do they ever re-visit these dropped concepts to tweak and see if they can be made to work?

You never know -- I mean, it seems that the revisited tanks in Multiwinia, and tossed them out a second time. However, I wouldn't hold my breath.

xander
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:33 pm

Well when you think about it- Multiwinia itself is a 'discarded concept' that came out of Multiplayer Darwinia.

From what I've seen of the discarded units/enemies, I hope some of them return as additional content later on.
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:49 pm

I'm not specifically asking in the next patch, but in any patch that might come out, but yeah, the tank is messed up to an extent, and isn't fixed easily and yeah that such and it's probably not good getting your hopes up but hey, it's the person choice to get the dissapointment =|
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:53 pm

Kuth wrote:Well when you think about it- Multiwinia itself is a 'discarded concept' that came out of Multiplayer Darwinia.

From what I've seen of the discarded units/enemies, I hope some of them return as additional content later on.

I wouldn't exactly say that Multiwinia is the resurrection of a discarded concept. Multiplayer Darwinia was never really killed off, only put on a shelf for while while IV worked on Defcon. My understanding, at the time of Darwinia's release, was that a multiplayer version was always the intended result, but had to be tabled for a while to make money.

xander
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:45 am

xander wrote:
Kuth wrote:Well when you think about it- Multiwinia itself is a 'discarded concept' that came out of Multiplayer Darwinia.

I wouldn't exactly say that Multiwinia is the resurrection of a discarded concept. Multiplayer Darwinia was never really killed off, only put on a shelf for while while IV worked on Defcon. My understanding, at the time of Darwinia's release, was that a multiplayer version was always the intended result, but had to be tabled for a while to make money.

xander

That's pretty much right. Multiwinia was shelved for time reasons, and probably for skill reasons as well (ie. shit guys, how do we actually do that?)
Unit13
level1
level1

Postby Unit13 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:18 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Tanks are also either way overpowered or tend to blow themselves up when their rockets hit small bumps, depending on the terrain. Which is not easy to fix.

And you capitalized xander wrong.

Design: tanks could be an armored transport mixed in with a turret.
If exploding near tanks is a problem then make it a flame thrower tank.
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:56 am

Nah, it was established a month ago that the tank has been put out for certain reasons, plus a flame tank doesn't make much sence, since it was only going to be in a battle tank to tank, and as stated, it would no longer be resisent to lasers to make the flames damage eachother....
dr_dizel
level0

Postby dr_dizel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:30 am

I would like to express the opinion concerning tanks.

It was a good strategy - Z. There could capture tanks by infantry. Feature was that the infantry can kill the tankman and grab a tank.

In Multiwinia position of tanks is not so bad as it might seem.

What can be done to revive the idea of tanks?

1. Each player should be given only one tank (a new game mode?).
2. Tank should be undestroyable (or very heavy).
3. Speed of the tank must be low.
4. Tank must be open, so you can destroy tankmans and capture tank.
5. Tank should shoot grenades canopy, rather than missiles because missiles terrible at heights.
6. Control can be officer alike (attack - rmouse or auto, move ctrl+rmouse)

How do you like the idea? :idea:
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:17 am

1: this Post is dead. Check the date.
2: tanks do not fit the story. In only 1 way does, and that it was in the beta.

Return to “Mods and Maps”