Dedwinia

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:11 am

While on the subject of multiple servers, NeoThermic has set up 9 servers: one for every game mode and 3 special Demo servers. On top of that, there's bert's server and I hope to get mine working in the afternoon (it had the bug where you couldn't select your winians directly yesterday). I don't think anyone's entitled to complain about lack of servers now! :D

Also, to prevent me from triple posting the correct topic, I'll post it here: all these servers are sending data to the Ladder, which is happily indexing all of it. The more games you play on these servers, the more test data we get, and (I hope) the quicker we'll be able to get rid of all the bugs in the Ladder. In other words, play more games on the servers, and the Ladder will go live quicker. ;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:38 am

Ooh that's shiny indeed. Neothermic's new servers are great and I seem to be able to jump straight into a game, also thanks to the new demo version and steam discount methinks. *Jumps back into playing against newbies to add more wins to the ladder*
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:39 pm

[SNIPPED Oct 26, 2008]

It appears to only be on one dedicated server that this is an issue for some reason, Happens to be a dedicated server for DEMO maps. So I've removed the original post being it's not the server software just on fluked server so far.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:48 pm

For those with access, a new build (svn829) is up, fixing the connection errors people with large pings are getting.

(I'll just post the updates here. Saves me work. I'll say something extra when there also is a Mac build; doing one requires that I snatch the Powerbook from my wife. That said, no Mac build this time, only Linux and Windows.)
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:35 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:For those with access...

How does one gain access? :P
Although there seems to be plenty Dedwinia servers already.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:55 pm

You try to make the impression that you'd be a useful tester :)
Plus, I'm afraid that at this time being a Multiwinia beta tester is a requirement, too.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:33 am

Ahh, becoming a Multwinia beta tester seems unreachable for me, giving I'm so new.

So I will just wait patiently and return any bugs I might come across.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:45 am

sfericz wrote:Ahh, becoming a Multwinia beta tester seems unreachable for me, giving I'm so new.

So I will just wait patiently and return any bugs I might come across.

I'm waiting patiently for the beta of either Subversion or Chronometer myself.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:19 am

New build (svn838) is up for Mac, Windows and Linux. Fixes this bug and allows you to IP-range-ban DEMO users while keeping authenticated players unaffected (the system is a bit bugged and doesn't recognize beta versions as Windows versions currently and you can't IP-range-ban authenticated users like the documentation claims.)
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:47 pm

I got a sync error.
I know I was playing with Tricky, and a demo player who never set his name. It was a rocket riot game on the Second Beginning. The sync error occurred at 16:27 (4:27, EDT)

Its right here

EDIT: I forgot the server name, sorry. The game resumed after tricky left, but I left anyhow.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:41 pm

What's your KeyID (to be found in every debug.txt) so we can search for the game?
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:31 am

May I ask what purpose the sync info does?

Or maybe I should ask for an explaination of what desyncing is in Multiwinia and it's causes.......

I was under the impression that it was caused by packet jumble aka out of order packets and such. So kind of ignored the whole issue.
"Now, stop being a douche to the newbie, and run along."

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:54 am

Out of order packets are reordered by the clients, they're handled just fine, and for any given time, all clients are guaranteed to have received the correct game history. No, sync errors happen when clients disagree on the game state at a given time. To conserve bandwidth, this check is done via a one byte checksum over the gamestate the clients send to the server in every ack packet. The server then compares these checksums, and on disagreement, triggers the sync error message. The sync logs that are produced then contain the full game state, and if all are collected, the reason for the sync error may be found.

New build is up for Non-Macs, svn858. It adds a LogPing command logging connection stats to the event log and fixes the event log CLIENT_QUIT message reasons. The included python scripts got some love, too, they now use a general purpose event log parser.
Mini
level1
level1

Postby Mini » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:20 am

did you take off the link or what here because I cant find it.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:31 am

Read back a bit. There never was a link, it's only for the few testers. I'm logging the changes for everyone because a) I'm too lazy to mail them or start a topic on the private forums and b) the players on the servers may be interested in the changes, too.

Return to “Mods and Maps”