Dedwinia

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:25 am

Any word on if Dedwinia will be made public? Or if only a select number will have it?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:38 am

The plan (as agreed upon with IV) was to release it as soon as the map editor is out. The current version contains map editor related stuff (the map distribution part) and docs for that; strictly speaking, those fall under the beta NDA. So yeah, I'm basically waiting for the map editor release. Hmm. Perhaps I should bump this again to IV.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:02 am

Ah, thanks for the update. Sorry if it was mentioned somewhere before.

On a side note, is it still in the works to include a spectating system somewhere in the future?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:40 am

I know as much as you about that: Byron was supposed to work on that a while back (in the pre-release times). Three things prevent me from hacking useful spectator support in Dedwinia:
1. The clients refuse to connect to full servers. I could let them be advertised as non-full, but then players would join them and be surprised they are only spectators.
2. Spectating clients crash at the end of the game. There could potentially be a workaround (the spectator mode initiated by the /leave chat command doesn't crash at the end), but it looks like it would be way too hacky to implement that.
3. There's random sync errors with spectators. Luckily, they only affect the spectators, so kicking them solves the issue.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Well the idea sounded wild to me, being able to put such a system in. So if it becomes workable great! But if not we shouldn't be too upset, that does sound difficult.
tiro
level1
level1

dedwinia suggestions--multiple fish bowls

Postby tiro » Sat May 23, 2009 5:20 am

Hi,

I think it would be great to have one dedicated CTS fishbowl, one dedicated DOM fishbowl, and one dedicated KOTH fishbowl. All the 'serious' modes. Perhaps these can be ranked (and with basic crates and not extra many crates). This would help the problem of not having enough players around. If we can't fill a 4 player map, often we can get 3.

3/4 player CTS are really popular on the servers but sometimes there isn't a server available. Or there's a stupid map like Maze of Despair.

Also, it would be nice to enable the team mode option if all players agree. It seems like some servers allow it, some don't.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 23, 2009 4:31 pm

Honestly, there are already a lot of dedicated servers on the list. People have, in the past, complained that such a large number of empty servers looks bad. I don't think that adding more servers into the mix is going to make that any better.

xander
tiro
level1
level1

dedwinia suggestions--multiple fish bowls

Postby tiro » Sat May 23, 2009 5:55 pm

To clarify, my suggestion is to replace some of the current servers with these flex servers (that switch maps based on the number of users).
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat May 23, 2009 7:20 pm

It certainly wouldn't hurt if NeoThermic's mode specific servers would switch over to the flexible map system, or if some of them disappeared. There's really too many servers. It's vastly unsupported, however. Clients just don't like on the fly map changes.

Also, note that the defining property of Fish Bowl is not that, it's the extra many full crates :) That had me confused when you were asking for more of those without that.

About coop mode: it's turned on randomly. Player votes have been discussed before and are a difficult topic.
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:43 am

The topic of server reducing has been brought up several times and I don't think NeoThermic is willing limit the number of his servers.
MadMorgan
level1
level1

Postby MadMorgan » Sat May 30, 2009 5:10 am

I really like Tiro's suggestion. Though it's true that on the fly map changes can be a little confusing at first, it makes it significantly easier to find the maximum number of available players for a desired mode. Too many times I have joined a 4p CTS queue and sat with 2 other players, only to have them leave because they don't want to wait any longer and no one wants to play the CPU - being able to start a 3p CTS game on the spot would have been a far preferable option. (the same goes for 2 players waiting for a 3rd player)

I don't want to rehash the whole too many servers debate, but personally as soon as the number of dedicated servers starts declining I'm going to have very little inclination to play. The harder it is for me to find a ranked game in a mode and map that I enjoy, the less likely I am to play. :cry:

also: self-bump on the /rematch feature. passwords would be icing but totally unnecessary, just let us /rematch after a good game on a fun map, pleeease :D
brawlteen14
level0

darwina

Postby brawlteen14 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 am

hay burt im have trube with my map the gunturit dont work and task manager
help me plz sos :?:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:56 am

What language is that? I seem to recognize a few words, but most of the vocabulary is unfamiliar to me. Ditto the syntax. Maybe it is some kind of German?

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:08 am

I'd say his cat walked over his keyboard, but there's too many spaces.

teen: this is, by the sound of it, a darwinia modding related question. Ask it in the darwinia forum, not here. And ask it properly, giving all the info you have, and using PROPER WORDS. 'does not work' is not enough info.
Pezmc
level0

Postby Pezmc » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:56 pm

I have been sent to this thread to request information on dedicated servers by Tom.K

I'm interested in a dedicated client to set up on one of my servers (as head of my Uni's gaming society with 600+ members) I am interested in getting one set up at our uni and getting more people interested in the game and thus buying it?

Return to “Mods and Maps”