Vs Assault: Proof of concept

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Xocrates
level5
level5

Vs Assault: Proof of concept

Postby Xocrates » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:10 pm

So, after playing a bit with the map files, I found that that it was indeed quite possible to give a WMD to the attackers and make a Vs Assault mode.

That way, I modified the Facing Worlds map by Nukelord (which I apologise to by constantly stealing this map, but it's a great map to experiment with) and made the first Vs Assault map for Multiwinia

Get it here

Notes:
Due to some unknown reasons, I can not set the time for the map, so the map is stuck with the time limit of 15 minutes. (edit: Well, I just found out how to change the timer, so if necessary I can adjust it)
The AI behaves a bit oddly, though it should do the job given enough time.
Once a WMD is destroyed, it can take a while for the winner to be announced (and I can't guarantee it will be the right one)
Last edited by Xocrates on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:30 pm

And I assume you have toyed around more than a bit with the 'Playtime' variable?

Anyway, this looks swell, will have to try soon-ish. :D
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:41 pm

This interests me a significant amount.
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:54 pm

In that case, you should talk to me more often!
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:55 pm

Looks good, seems to work alright if the 'defender' wins. I think it takes some time to announce the winner after the WMD's been destroyed normally anyway, doesn't it?
*obviously doesn't play much Assault*

I don't mind you stealing the map, it's not like you're taking credit for it, just means I don't have to make all these extra modes myself :P

I'm currently trying to make a (non-FW) blitzkrieg map with specific flag capture order, proving to be a little fiddly.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:26 am

That's a very cool idea. If I get some time, I might be able to make a few changes so that it works properly.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:54 am

Technically, if you wanted to, you could have as many WMDs as there are teams + 1 (or 5), and have the psuedo victory condition be, victory to the person who blows up the evil WMD, which is protected via eg evilinians and extra nasties that needs to get the players to team up, while protecting their own WMD which will kill everyone but their team. But if your WMD gets destroyed, you get eliminated (eg it goes off and kills all your troops instead).

Or just have a game mode called arms race, and try to be responcible for destroying as many WMDs as possible.

Neither sound very fun to me but they're both just as /possible/.

There's lots of possibilities for conglomorate game modes to be had with assault. Most of them start turning into coop, rocket riot, blitzkrieg, or DEFCON.

Also, I'm not 100%, but if you don't mind the WHOLE THING BEING REALLY CONFUSING and everyone being green, you might like to try removing the attacking player line - just because a side is defending doesn't mean they're allied, after all - I think this might fix the winning process somewhat (it let me win against my "fellow" defender on face), you'll have to experiment further with a real person, since there's no assault AI or anything in place to really make the AI pick up the pace. Since there's no way to unlock unit colours though, this isn't really a fix, but, it might be the fastest way to securing one.

edit - to be clear about ^^, I'm saying, don't set any team up as attacking, have a free for all where everyone is a defender. Annoyingly this sets everyone up to be green, but may allow a player to validyl win. This probably only works for one team vs another though, so I guess the logic of, whenever a WMD is destroyed,

if attacker == exists
no WMDs == victory for attacking team
else
1 WMD == victory for WMD owner
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:52 am

At first I actually thought about not setting an attacker team, especially since this allowed me to give powerups as reinforcements so I could do virii fights and stuff (and idea I have not yet set aside), however, and ultimately, I thought that having recognizable different teams was a better idea at this point.

And I really need to test those WMD conditions, so far I always assumed the game ended the moment one WMD was taken out and never really experimented with other possibilities.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:44 pm

That was just the solution I was suggesting. I expect that as soon as a WMD is destroyed currently, all the teams (defenders) but the one who's WMD got destroyed would win. That's just an assumption, though.

Anyway yes, putting attackers in for aesthetic reasons is a good aspect for playability, but I was talking more about exploring the game logic functionality!
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!

Return to “Mods and Maps”