The Official Unofficial Multiwinia Ladder

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:04 am

The Ladder is online?

My server will be up as soon as Jelco relinks my account and server.

Don't forget to register your keyIDs in any official server, peeps!
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:08 am

We have liftoff!

If something explodes tonight (which I for some reason think will happen ;)) I will let you know in-between the adrenaline rushes. :P

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:27 pm

Ok everyone, it is going rather well - there have been no errors since 1 AM GMT this morning, which is just one hour after launch so it was entirely expected. The server seems to cope well with the extended userbase, but if you experience some really slow loading of pages it would still be a good idea to mention it over here.

I'd just like to note that I'm seeing a lot of people registering their keys by entering the lobby on a server, issuing the /register command and subsequently leaving. While I understand the idea, this will usually not work since Dedwinias restart after a certain amount of inactivity, or when all people quit the server. If the server restarts, the 'game session' which is mentioned by Dedwinia upon issuing the /register command will end and a new log will be parsed. For technical reasons, these logs without actual game data will not get parsed. For this method to work, you will have to be really lucky to have other people start a game after you leave the server.

Since this seems to be a common misunderstanding I will try to see if I can get my parser to catch register commands from logfiles which aren't parsed, so that hopefully this can be cleared up. Until I say that it's been finished though, it's best to just issue the command when you're actually playing a game on a registered server - fail-safe and how it was originally intended to be used. ;)

EDIT: It's been fixed, you can now /register by popping into a server, issuing the command and leaving immediately after that. However, not all servers send incomplete logs to the Ladder - the only server of which I can guarantee this will work on are the official "Multiwinia-Ladder.Net" servers, since they are run by myself. ;)

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
n0rd
level0

Postby n0rd » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

Firstly great job on the ladder. It's a top addition to a great game. I have done a brief scan of the forum posts and was interested to know if there are any plans from introv to enhance the event generation. It would be great to see some more granular stats around power ups received , spawn points won or lost etc. There is a load of interesting stats that us number freaks could get off on. You could possibly derive a daily leaderboard from this info broken into categories such as seen in the CSS stats packs. Anyways just some ramblings its more than fine in its current state :D

n0rd
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:58 pm

Loving this stuff so far, congrats and thanks to all.

One question; how do you challenge? The FAQ seems to cover the concept but not the method.
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:24 pm

The limit of my knowledge on this:

Access opponent's profile.
Click on challenge user.

I *hope* that's all that needs to be known about it.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:34 pm

That's one method, the other would be to directly go to the challenge page, which you can do by...clicking on the link that isn't there. Good point, added to the left sidebar. ;)

In other news, the graphs went through the umpteenth revision today and I think I've finally got it to work correctly with time zones. Believe me, if you want to stay sane, don't ever try to create a system that has dynamic time-dependant features with user-configurable time zones. :P

Also, the Current Games list has been updated with new functionality - it now shows the time the server started. Yay for useless but funny-to-look-at data. :)

n0rd: It reminds me of how Xocrates suggested the idea of heat maps like TF2 has (i.e. showing where most DGs die) and also the immediate obvious reply to that: it is fuckloads of data. It wouldn't be impossible to log it, to store it and to show it, but it would be difficult to transfer all that data from the servers to the Ladder - the files are potentially enormous. It does sound like a nice idea and certainly I'd pursue it if I got the opportunity, but whether it is possible will probably depend on IV's decision whether to implement the necessary things or not, and if it's for efficiency I'd say the chance is minimal that it's going to happen. ;)

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:35 pm

jelco wrote:It reminds me of how Xocrates suggested the idea of heat maps like TF2 has

I did? When did I do that?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Quite some time ago in the IRC channel. Although that might be me messing up your and Xarlaxas' name again. ;)

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:46 pm

What's a heat map?
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:49 pm

What's a google? :p
Example.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Ok, so maybe it was me. :P

Scroll to the bottom
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Jelco: I don't think that if IV were to create crate pickup events it would be _that much_ data.
Maybe a suggestion worth asking for?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:23 pm

Jelco: I can't seem to find a "people who have challenged me" kind of page. I am sure that it exists -- I would really like it if you could put that in the set of links on the left. martin is currently trying to challenge me, but it is a pain in the ass to actually find the challenge to respond to him (unless I am missing some giant link somewhere).

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:48 pm

something like this link is what I imagine you'll want:

ImageImage

it's a little obscure :/
Last edited by martin on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Return to “Mods and Maps”