The Official Unofficial Multiwinia Ladder

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Yes, what bert says is correct. The end-rp ratings are now unchangeable (for period 2) and the score differences you are seeing now will decide the amount of fluctuation a match against a certain opponent is allowed to bring forth (for period 3). Have fun challenging the top 10 players. ;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Imeanunoharm
level1
level1

Postby Imeanunoharm » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:11 am

So how was the ladder sorted/ranked originally if everyone started on 1500? First to play a game (and win)?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:16 am

It was unsorted, of course :) And empty.
Imeanunoharm
level1
level1

Postby Imeanunoharm » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:29 am

Nice one smarty pants. :P

What I mean is, how did some people that have much fewer wins than others early on get such high scores/ratings early in the peice (ie rating period 1&2)? I mean everyone was equal strength, so how do they rate high if they have few wins? *Me looks at Chewbacca. :?*
aldaris
level1
level1

Postby aldaris » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:18 pm

Why am I not getting my validation email?
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:28 pm

aldaris wrote:Why am I not getting my validation email?

I just checked the mail logs for you, and Gmail accepted the activation mail.
Jelco will shortly send it again, in case Google really lost it.

If it landed in your spam folder, please tell so here.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Imeanunoharm: Keep in mind that the amount of played matches isn't as important as the amount of opponents is. You can play lots of duels but you can easily lose out to people who keep winning 4p matches even if they played a whole lot less matches. This is just one of the many possible explanations for what you're seeing, but it seems the most important one. (Note too that people could've played a few matches in RP 1 and a few in RP 2 - the latter affect scores a lot more than the first since the scores were already frozen at the end of RP 1.) ;)

aldaris: I've shot you an e-mail with the info you need to activate your account, but please do inform us of the fate of the original e-mail even if that works flawlessly (as it should ;)). We might have to hunt down some people responsible for blacklisting the Ladder e-mails.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Lelouch
level1
level1

Postby Lelouch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 am

Sorry if this was already asked but how often does ingame rank gets updated? I mean the one that is showing when you join ladder supported server?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:06 am

Someone pointed out to me a while ago that those are not updated as well as they should, and I'm currently investigating the cause. Those messages are stored in a file (one which Dedwinia can read) which the Ladder generates with every score recalculation (hence they should always say exactly what the website says) however it seems that the file updating doesn't always work. When I run the script manually, it works fine - when it runs automatically in its daily form (a cron job) it for some reason just doesn't seem to work. I'll have to put some work into finding out what is causing the trouble, and I'll let you know when it is fixed.

EDIT: Oh, that was quick. I just tried something for fun and it seems to have done the trick. :)

EDIT2: (This is not worthy of a double post) I'm noticing a severe server slowdown when graphs are loading, and I'm currently investigating the problem. If you experience long loading times, know that it's being worked on.

EDIT3: I did find out the problem - I just don't know how to fix it, it seems to be that PHP isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing at a certain point in the script...

EDIT4: One of my earlier fixes which didn't seem functional suddenly jumped in to do its work so all should be fixed now. Especially if you're logged in some of the graphs should load a lot faster (don't ask :P).

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Fairly minor thing: would it be possible for the colours used to label each gametype (on the Game Modes and Game Modes per Day graphs) to be consistent between the two graphs? On the Game Modes per Day graph, everyone appears to have the same colours for each mode (Dom - blue, CTS - red, KotH - green, etc), but I can't see any pattern as to which mode gets which colour on the other graph - it appears to be different for everyone.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:07 pm

At the moment, all the pie charts use the same colour system - the first part gets coloured blue, the next one gets to be green, etc. I've noticed myself too that it is a little confusing, I'll change it this evening.

EDIT: Graphs changed, more graphs and stats added on profile, server and global pages.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:08 am

Does ladder calculate points when you have become second in a mulitplayer match?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:45 am

Yes. You won't get credited a win for the counts, but for the ranking, it'll almost be as if you beat all those below you in a duel.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:25 am

That's a reliev heh, haha
Imeanunoharm
level1
level1

Postby Imeanunoharm » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:55 am

http://math.bu.edu/people/mg/research/gdescrip.pdf

Just on the issue of ranking movement. In the last paragraph there is a practical problem outlined where RD's should not move below 30. Sorry it wouldn't copy and paste properly. Is this implemented in the ladder?

Return to “Mods and Maps”