The Official Unofficial Multiwinia Ladder

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

jelco
level5
level5

The Official Unofficial Multiwinia Ladder

Postby jelco » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:46 am

Launched! http://www.multiwinia-ladder.net

The rest of this post is from before the Ladder was launched, left in here purely for continuity reasons.

---

I've been trying to resist posting about this in the open until we can actually let people use it, but to be fair - however arrogant it may sound - this might very well overshadow other people's attempts and it's never fun to see people work hard on something that never gets used. I'm talking from experience here. ;)

There is a Multiwinia Ladder in the making, and it has been in development for about 2.5 months right now. Several beta testers are helping me with testing the system and pointing out all the things that need improvement - bugs of course, but also feature suggestions. It's current form is quite stable, however I'm afraid I can't present you with extremely good-looking screenshots right now. Don't worry, proper templates are being worked on. The ladder currently indexes loads of bogus test data to see how well it performs at realistic loads, nothing you see in these screenshots is accurate. ;)

How does this system get its match data? Not by user input, as you might expect. The big turn off with many Defcon ladders was the fact that all the data had to be entered manually and people didn't bother too much doing it. Instead, I'm collaborating with someone else (I'm not sure if he wants me to give his name just yet) who is attempting to create a dedicated server for Multiwinia. Our current setup needs people to register their dedicated servers to the ladder, after which the servers can upload the data of matches played on them, which the ladder subsequently indexes. The registration system identifies people by auth key (don't worry, our current setup doesn't require you to actually enter that anywhere) and it is possible to link multiple keys to your account - people owning both a Windows and Steam version for example will not have to create two separate accounts.

The following screenshots shows an implementation of the actual Metaserver in the ladder, and it will probably get some more implementations later on.

I can hear you think "when are we going to get to use this?" and I can already tell you that I'm not sure. The fact that it's going to get released to the public is certain, it's just not sure when, and as you might have guessed this relies heavily on the dedicated server software mentioned previously. Until then, I will keep you people posted about our progress.

Smart people might already have seen it in the screenshots, the URI is http://www.multiwinia-ladder.net. Have fun looking at the blank screen. :P

What do you want the ladder to have?

This is a community project, made by but most importantly for the people playing this game. Hence, it's more than reasonable to ask those same people what features they'd like to see the ladder to have. If you have any feature suggestions, please post them in this topic. :)

The list of current features:
  • Users
    • Stats with ranks, scores, played/won/lost/tied matches, amount of premature disconnects, streaks, best/worst game mode
    • Graphs depicting hour of day of played matches, game mode distribution (general and daily for past 14 days), game ranking distribution,matches per day (past 14 days)
    • Leaderboard with full searching and sorting functionality
    • Custom leaderboards for game modes and player 'environments'
    • Possibility to stamp users as pirates or cheaters, strip people of rights ranging from comment posting to match submission
    • Comments at user profiles
    • Mail notification when someone comments on your user profile (can be switched on/off in profile)
  • Matches
    • Map, players, game mode, score mode, player names, in-game team colours and scores, advanced settings
    • Match replays for Dedwinia (unavailable until Dedwinia release)
    • Match list with full searching and sorting functionality
    • 'Ranked' flag which allows matches to be submitted to the ladder without affecting scores and ranks
    • Comments at match details pages
    • Mail notification when a match is submitted in which you participated (can be switched on/off in profile)
    • Mail notification when someone comments on a match in which you participated (can be switched on/off in profile)
  • Servers
    • Users can register their own servers
    • Server details page with server name, owner username, match count and match details of all played matches on said server
    • Graphs depicting hour of day of played matches, game mode distribution (general and daily for past 14 days), game ranking distribution,matches per day (past 14 days),player type distribution (general and daily for past 14 days)
    • Server list with sorting functionality
  • Challenges
    • Up to three players can be challenged
    • Challenges are private discussions like the comment pages to fully allow discussion of game type, map and other details
    • Mail notification when you are challenged (can be switched on/off in profile)
    • Mail notification when someone leaves a message in one of your challenges (can be switched on/off in profile)
  • Comments
    • BBcode/smileys support
    • 'Report comment' buttons along with a set of moderators
  • Maps
    • Full custom map support (have to be added to the database first though)
  • Serials
    • Users can register serials to accounts without having to enter the serial anywhere (yay for technology ;))
    • Multiple serials can be registered to one account
  • Dedwinia integration
    • Users will be greeted with rank and score in registered Dedwinia servers
---

EDIT as of November 8th: Most of the above post is from before launch, so some comments are now redundant - however, for continuity reasons I refuse to edit those parts out of this post. The list with features has been updated to reflect the current Ladder status.

EDIT as of January 20th: Uh, right. When I linked to this post from the Sky release news post I figured it might be time to update, but to be honest I have kind of lost track of all the changes I've made. Don't take the above list to be an exhaustive list of features.

---

Jelco
Last edited by jelco on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:17 pm

Pretty goddamn awesome.

But then you knew that anyway...

FO REALS THIS TIME o_o
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:27 pm

This is pure w-- uhh, goodness! :D
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Re: The Official Unofficial Multiwinia Ladder

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:13 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Don't worry, proper templates are being worked on.

*chokes on food*

Uh, yes. Soon.
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Re: The Official Unofficial Multiwinia Ladder

Postby MaximusBrood » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:46 pm

RabidZombie wrote:*chokes on food*

Uh, yes. Soon.

I'm guilty here too :roll:
N3tRunn3r
level1
level1

Postby N3tRunn3r » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:51 pm

awesome!!
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:43 pm

I figure, since I have a topic in the open forums now I might as well use it to ask how people want it. :)

A recent feature suggestion has been that of a 'Ranked Match' flag. At the moment the ladder not only indexes every match sent to it by registered servers, but also changes ranks and scores of players accordingly. This flag would allow you to let the match be indexed without changing the scores. It would be a way to keep track of matches but if the results are bad for one or several sides (seeing as a tie is near-impossible this will usually be the case :P) it wouldn't affect scores and rankings. A reason I can think of for using this is for training matches in a tournament, or a tournament at all - you'll want to have evidence of the outcomes of played matches but have them be separate from the ladder (which in some way can be considered a tournament on its own I guess). In cases you don't want matches to be indexed and don't really need any hard evidence of the outcomes I can imagine it would suffice just not to play on one of these dedicated servers. ;)

So, what is the general consensus here? Do or don't?

A general question to everyone reading this by the way: any feature requests for the ladder? (See the opening post for a list of current features.)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:16 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:So, what is the general consensus here? Do or don't?
Apart from the work required, I don't see a reason not to do this. Of course, all players would need to agree to make a match not count for the ladder, right?

Do we have a plan what to do with Assault matches?
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:41 pm

I think getting people to agree and do ladder matches will be the hard part.. that and recording all of it. Makes me want to start a multiwinia steam group.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:58 pm

There already is a steam group. And don't worry about the recordings :)
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:02 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:There already is a steam group. And don't worry about the recordings :)

I shall have to check that out when I get home, but i meant more like a 'clan'.. actually more like just friends to play against.
streaky81
level0

Postby streaky81 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:50 pm

This looks great, if you need help testing the dedicated server I got plenty of bandwidth on a few servers doing pretty much absolutely nothing right now.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:48 am

Seperate ladders for different game modes?

Domination seems to be the most often played, but I don't really enjoy it.
Covak
level1
level1

Postby Covak » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:33 am

This sounds fantastic :)
Covak
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:50 am

Pinky wrote:Seperate ladders for different game modes?

Domination seems to be the most often played, but I don't really enjoy it.

Like this, I've also been requested a ladder for 2p, 3p and 4p matches several months ago. Back then, I didn't want to do it because it would be lots and lots of extra work, but I'm currently rewriting the score system in such a way that it's a piece of cake to add this feature. When I'm finished with the new scoring system I'm going to see if I can get it to work, and I'll keep you posted. ;)

EDIT: New scoring system implemented, full co-op support, team colours shown on match pages now. Implementation of the dedicated server software is close to being tested. :)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Mods and Maps”