Notes and Notices (for other aspiring modders)

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Kuth
level4
level4

Notes and Notices (for other aspiring modders)

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:04 pm

Just started poking around Multiwina as an amateur modder today. Though I'm not as technically experienced as everyone else (especially in mapmaking). I just thought a place for notes and things for other amateur moders would be helpful.

The first one I have is to all map modders out there: Until IV adds support for it? There doesn't seem to be a scrolling function for map selection. After a little error that ended up with most of my maps duplicated, the map selections spread out from top to bottom and flowed under the 'back' button, also going outside the UI. Presumably IV will handle this in their mod-supporting patch (Thanks IV!), but just keep this in mind when adding maps.

It's also my theory that file duplicates of things in the .Data folder are not overriden (like in DEFCON presently). My assumption is that you'd have to unpack .Data, change the files there, then re-pack it for the effects to be changed. Tried remapping 'backwards camera' to 'x' in this fashion to no effect.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:41 pm

Hmm... so apparently it IS possible to overwrite UI things.

Tried it with the banner... looks like it worked. Though something to keep in mind: the game treats the red gradient in the background as a transparency. I'm thinking this has something to do with contrasting "Banner None" and "Banner Formation".
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 am

I've never had any problem changing controls. Also the folder name is actually data, not Data, if your OS had a case sensitive file system you would probably get in trouble.

Note positive feedback from people other than myself in this thread, where me and Jelco helped some people get over an oversight in the automatic keyboard detection system to be able to change their controls (there's also some other suggestions in there that may, in fact, be a lot better). That might help you change x to back, if you want to do that still.

Return to “Mods and Maps”