Multiwinia - The board game

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Xocrates
level5
level5

Multiwinia - The board game

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:32 pm

During the beta, I took upon myself to design a Multiwinia Board game (after shinygerbil's idea)

This is mostly untested, and it's still in a pretty "beta" stage, but feel free to have a go.

Feel free to use this (rough) board or make your own:

Rules:

You’ll need:

• 1 Board
• Green Multiwinian Tokens (~25)
• Red Multiwinian Tokens (~25)
• Green Officer Tokens (~5)
• Red Officer Tokens (~5)
• Green Markers
• Red Markers
• Squad Tokens (3-6 neutral coloured or up to 3 per colour)
• Engineer Tokens (3-6 neutral coloured or up to 3 per colour)
• 3 Gunturret Tokens (neutral colour)
• 3 Squad Powerup cards
• 3 Engineer Powerup Cards
• 3 Airstrike Powerup Cards
• 3 Reinforcement Powerup cards
• 3 Armour Powerup cards
• Dice (~5)

Setup:

Shuffle the Powerup Cards and place them in a pile, turned face down, next to the board.
Each player selects a colour and places a coloured Marker at their starting position (Spawn points marked Green and Red).
If the players want, they can each draw 1 to 3 Powerup cards. They can’t use these cards in the first turn. If a player gets a Reinforcement card, he should draw a new card and shuffle the Reinforcement card back into the pile.

The players then decide who starts the first move phase.

Turn order:

• Reinforcement Phase
• Move Phase
• Battle Phase
• Scoring Phase
• Crate collection Phase

Reinforcement Phase:

In the reinforcement phase, each player places two Multiwininians on top of each Spawn Point they control.
In case one player does haves not enough Multiwinians outside play, then he places the remaining Multiwinians as he sees fit, but not more than two per spawn point.

If a player controls half or less of the opposing Player Spawn points, he places 3 Multiwinians per Spawn point instead of 2.

Move phase:

In the move phase, each player takes a turn moving his pieces. It’s also during this phase that players can capture spawn points and promote officers. Squads, engineers, Gunturrets, and armours can also be placed during the Move Phase.

- Movement rules:
• Pieces can’t move over water (with the exception of armours)
• When moving on slopes (dark green on the board) pieces move 1 less space (to a minimum of 1)
• Pieces can’t move over enemy occupied Spaces
• You can’t at any point have more than 5 Multiwinians + Officers in the same space
• You can’t at any point have more than 1 Powerup Token in the same space

- Movements Chart:

• Multiwinians: 3 spaces
• Officers: 1 Space
• Engineers: 3 Spaces
• Squads: 2 Spaces
• Armours: 5 Spaces

- Capturing Spawn points:

To capture a Spawn Point, move at least a Multiwinian on top of it. At the end of the move phase remove the Multiwinian from Play and place a coloured marker on top of it (to indicate ownership).

- Promoting an Officer:

To promote an Officer, at any point during your move phase remove one of your Multiwinians from play and place an Officer Token in its position.

After the first Player has taken all of his Move Phase actions, the second Player can now take his Move Phase. Reverse in Player order in the following turn.

Battle Phase

If at the end of the Move Phase there are adjacent spaces containing enemy pieces, the Battle phase takes place.

For each Space with adjacent enemy pieces, roll a die per Multiwinian in it. For each roll of 4 or 5 you score a hit, and for each roll of 6 you launch a grenade, unless you have an officer in that space (see Officers)
For information on Powerup units behaviour during the Battle Phase, see the Powerups section.

- Officers:

However, if you have an officer in the space you’re rolling, you score a hit on a 3,4,5,6 (meaning no grenades on 6). Additionally if a space with an officer is hit with a grenade or airstrike, it takes one additional casualty.

- Grenades:

On a roll of 6, a Multiwinian throws a grenade (unless there is an officer on that space). Re-roll the die and score a number of hits equal to the number rolled. All casualties must be taken from the same space.
However, if you roll a 6, the grenade misses and you score one casualty that must be taken from that space instead.

- Casualties:

After both players have rolled for all conflicting positions, casualties are removed.

In case a grenade has successfully hit, the opposing player takes an amount of casualties equal to the number rolled (or all of his pieces if the amount of hits is equal or superior to the number of pieces on that place) from the most populated adjacent space. If several spaces are tied for the most populated, the opposing player picks one. If more than one grenade hits, these must be distributed equally between the most populated adjacent spaces

After casualties from grenades are removed, Players take casualties for each hit scored by one space, the opposing player removes one Multiwinian, Officer, or Squad from an adjacent space. These must be taken as evenly as possible, meaning that the difference in casualties between spaces taking casualties from the same space cannot be superior to 1.

In the case of a Grenade hit, casualties can be taken from Multiwinians, Officers, Engineers, Squads, Armours and Gunturrets.

If after casualties are taken, a player has Multiwinians or Squads in a position adjacent to an enemy spawn point with no pieces on it. The enemy Player removes a coloured marker from it and loses control of that Spawn point.

Scoring Phase:

After the Battle Phase, both Players check who has the most Multiwinians in each contiguous Hill area (grey areas on the board). That player gains control of the Hill in question and places a coloured marker on it.

Then, per each Hill a Player controls, that Player gets 10 points.

Crate collection Phase:

At the end of the turn, each Player rolls a die. On a roll of 6, that Player draws a Powerups card.

At no point can a Player hold more than 6 Powerup cards. If he has 6 cards in his hand he skips this phase.

If there are no Powerup cards remaining on the pile, shuffle the discard pile.

If a Player is losing by over 50 points, he may roll two dice.

Powerups:

Powerup cards can be the following:

Squads: You can play a Squad card at any time during your Move Phase. Discard the card from your hand and place a squad token on a Spawn point or Hill you control.
During the Battle Phase, you can select an adjacent space to the one the Squad is in and throw a grenade there.
After 3 turns, remove the Squad token from the Board

Engineers: You can play an Engineer card at any time during your Move Phase. Discard the card from your hand and place an Engineer token on a Spawn point or Hill you control.
At the end of the Battle Phase you can set aside up to 3 Multiwinians (including enemy Multiwinians) that were taken as casualties from the space or adjacent spaces the Engineer.
If during your Move Phase you move an Engineer to a Spawn Point you control, you can place a number of Multiwinians in Play on that space equal to the amount you had set aside. If you do, remove the ones previously set aside.

Armour: You can play an Armour card at any time during your Move Phase. Discard the card from your hand and place an Armour token on a Spawn point or Hill you control.
During your Move Phase, you can take up to 5 Multiwinians that you haven’t moved and are in the same space that a Armour token and set them aside. At the end of the Move Phase you may place those Multiwinians in the same space as the armour, these Multiwinians won’t be able to move until the next Move Phase.

Gunturret: You can play a Gunturret card at any time during your Move Phase. Discard the card from your hand and place a Gunturret token anywhere on the board.
At the start of the Battle Phase, and as long as you have Multiwinians in the same space as a Gunturret, you can select an adjacent space to the one the Gunturret is in and roll a die. The opposing player takes casualties from that space equal to the number rolled. These casualties are taken before the player rolls for that space.
Should a Player move to a space containing an enemy placed Gunturret, he gains control of it.

Airstrike: You can play an Airstrike card during the Battle Phase. Discard the card from your hand and select a Space on the Board, roll a die. The opposing player takes casualties from that space equal to the number rolled.
Additionally, any Gunturret in that position will be destroyed.

Reinforcements: Should you draw this card, discard it immediately and place 5 Multiwinians in one space or adjacent space to any space you already have Multiwinians in.

Winning the game

The first Player to reach 250 points or eliminate the opposing player (i.e. he no longer controls any Spawn Points oandMultiwinians) wins.
Last edited by Xocrates on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Mind if I make a digital version of this?

Some of us might not have access to friends in real life :P
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:54 pm

zanzer7 wrote:Mind if I make a digital version of this?

Not only would I not mind, as I would be thankful :D

I have few real life friends who would be willing to play the game too.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:09 pm

zanzer7 wrote:Mind if I make a digital version of this?

If you need help let me know. I've been wanting to program a board game for a while. :)
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:20 pm

I was thinking of suggesting an AJAX version :P

It sounds a little like a cross between Risk and Diplomacy with Darwinia stuff. I wonder if a Diplomacy style 'everyone write down their planned moves, then do them all at once' system would even out possible unfairness with who moves first. But I've not played, so don't know which would be better.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Digital version must be made. :D
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:55 pm

MrBunsy wrote:I wonder if a Diplomacy style 'everyone write down their planned moves, then do them all at once' system would even out possible unfairness with who moves first. But I've not played, so don't know which would be better.

I suggested a Dungeon & Dragons miniatures move model: One player moves X units, then the other moves X units, until both have moved all they want.
That removes a bit of the advantage of moving first, and makes it seem more simultaneous.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:17 pm

I believe that "the players switch order each turn" is missing, which is probably questionable too. First guy blocks second guy, and second guy chooses how to shoot up first guy.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:54 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:I believe that "the players switch order each turn" is missing, which is probably questionable too. First guy blocks second guy, and second guy chooses how to shoot up first guy.

No it isn't, just a bit easy to miss. Look immediatly above Battle Phase
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:58 am

I have taken it upon me to digitise this game, then :D

With about two years of additional experience since Defcon 1980 (I was two weeks into OpenGL back then), this should be more than - well, that :P. Admittedly, I have v.0.7 of that on disk, though.

Anyway, I'll try to stick as close to these specifications as possible. And also, it might be about a week before I can get any coding done, whatwith the m**list and upcoming exams.

Also, should this thread really be in here?
Orange Soda
level2
level2

Postby Orange Soda » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:41 am

I think there is already a digital version...
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:20 am

MrBunsy wrote:I was thinking of suggesting an AJAX version :P

I'd think that would work out best too.
Something liek this: http://kdice.com (but I can imagine that's quite hard to do/requires a lot of work to get it right)
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:14 am

I've already got a javascript hexagon system thing, so I might see what I can knock up very quickly. Not that I'm trying to take this away from zanzer, but I rather fancy a new javascript project.

I've also already got an AJAX game system (if only google apps engine supported PHP...), so that's two steps of the way :P
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:42 pm

Well, do what you want, I won't get started till next week anyway, so if you're further than nowhere, I might just leave you to it :P
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:48 pm

Ta-da. No game yet though, just an editor :P

Return to “Mods and Maps”