Map Editor plans

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Map Editor plans

Postby Chris » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Hello,

Right now we don't officially support Mods and Maps in Multiwinia, but a few enterprising fans are already experimenting with the data files, creating their own new multiplayer maps. This forum is for discussion of your map and mod projects.

High on our priority list is releasing the Multiwinia Map Editor for everyone to use. It's the exact same map editor we used to make all the game maps. We are also planning a secure file exchange system, so if you join a server and they're running a custom map, the map will be automatically transfered to your computer and you'll be able to play without any manual setup. We wanted to have it ready for launch day but unfortunately we weren't ready to release a stable version, so we thought we'd save it for a patch.

In the mean time, let us know what you're working on!
rainingblood
level1
level1

Postby rainingblood » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 pm

Great stuff for those who aren't 1337 enough to create a map right now :lol:

Introversion ftw !
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:10 pm

Woot!

perhaps it's time to resurrect my Darwinia mod - it would have been better suited to Multiwinia in the first place ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Map Editor plans

Postby xander » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:08 pm

Chris wrote:We are also planning a secure file exchange system, so if you join a server and they're running a custom map, the map will be automatically transfered to your computer and you'll be able to play without any manual setup.

Nifty. Is there any chance that this will be backported to Defcon?

xander
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:40 pm

Auto-download of maps (and in the future, mods?) is pure win.

The expression 'win' isn't really win anymore though. Old word is old.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:24 am

'Win' aptly describes this feature though :)

Although I would like a way for easy access to add/delete maps outside of Multiwinia. Some maps are nice, but after playing them I might want to shorten the list of maps I have in the system. Unreal Tournament's way seems best- dropping maps into a map folder where they can be deleted if no longer desired. Most maps don't require other bits (usually custom meshes), but I wouldn't mind installing them in the appropriate folders if needed.

An alternative to this may be to create 'playlists' of favorite maps. Perhaps after the conclusion of each game, the next game is setup on the playlist (much like RTS games whenever they've finished a round on a map). This way it keeps desired maplists short.

Also, I hope IV provides a selection of place able buildings and props from Multiwinia. It would be nice to re-visit some of the older locations (Damaged/ruined by war, back in time, or something else), and maybe play around with some of the other objects (like those satellites from Pattern Buffer? I wondered about a map with some crashed on the ground). Already the 'tank traps' are in, but I'd like to see other structures as well (maybe statues for non-statue maps?)

I also seem to remember some uber-tank in the video of the early early Multiwinia. If it isn't a super-secret powerup that's coming in the next patch, how about as a ruined example of Darwinia's forgotten technological utopia?
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:35 am

Win.
Puzzlemaker
level2
level2

Postby Puzzlemaker » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:49 am

*dances a happy dance of happiness*
N3tRunn3r
level1
level1

Re: Map Editor plans

Postby N3tRunn3r » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:51 pm

Chris wrote:Hello,

High on our priority list is releasing the Multiwinia Map Editor for everyone to use. It's the exact same map editor we used to make all the game maps. We are also planning a secure file exchange system, so if you join a server and they're running a custom map, the map will be automatically transfered to your computer and you'll be able to play without any manual setup. We wanted to have it ready for launch day but unfortunately we weren't ready to release a stable version, so we thought we'd save it for a patch.

In the mean time, let us know what you're working on!

incredible great !!
i am looking forward to you all of Introversion...
nice job.. keep going!
Greendingbat
level1
level1

Postby Greendingbat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:22 pm

A map editor would be GREAT
Especially one that let you create new game types and modify variables such as
max MWG's, spawn point numbers, or set victory conditions
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
Puzzlemaker
level2
level2

Postby Puzzlemaker » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:55 pm

What exactly will you be allowed to do in the editor? How powerful will it be? Will we be able to mix and match game types? Will we be able to set down static powerups/respawning powerups, etc?
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:22 am

Puzzlemaker wrote:What exactly will you be allowed to do in the editor? How powerful will it be? Will we be able to mix and match game types? Will we be able to set down static powerups/respawning powerups, etc?

as for the mixing of game types, I sure hope not. Plus that would take more work I would guess.

static powerups would be incredibly annoying, and the host can change respawn powerups anyway. I don't like the idea of a map makin me choose when poweups respawn
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:29 am

I imagine the map editor won't be too different from most other map editors in other RTS. Probably terrain modification, object placement, 'hazard' placement (like evil trees), and gametype object placement (control zones, the rocket, et all).
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:49 pm

I'd guess that it's like the Darwinia map editor. In fact, I'd bet they based it on it.
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:07 pm

Any chance that for the multwinian map editor we can use the numberpad? I always found that rather irritating to punch in numbers in the darwinian editor, always seem to keep me away from it.

Return to “Mods and Maps”