New Map: Facing Worlds!

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:40 pm

zanzer7 wrote:Hmm, for the sake of future maps, you might want to change the file names though.

I suggest something like "mp_koth_2p_facing_worlds.txt", or perhaps just "mp_koth_facing_worlds.txt" - and of course the same for the zip.

This is from a purely technical point of view, mind ^^
Perhaps some sort of standard naming should be agreed upon, such as "mp_<game mode>_<players>_<map name>_<version>" ?

I've updated the map, taking advice and fixing a few things I felt needed it: mp_koth_2p_facingworlds_1.1.zip
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:50 pm

There's little reason to keep the # of players in the map name, unless you intend to release the map with the same name with different # of players. I also don't see the need to keep the full gametype in either, but these both might be nice for managing the folder (since alphabetic sorting) - the only other reason to do this was for naming purposes in english.txt, which doesn't really apply to us, so it's up to us to decide if we want to use it.

I would somewhat expect to see the author's name/initials in the filename, as this is the most unique feature of the filename.
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:01 pm

Looks like I'm gonna end up using a different naming system each time I upload this :P

I think the gametype should be kept in there, though I suppose there isn't much point in having the number of players. As for the author's name I was going to put that in the original filename but decided on adding it as a comment to the map file instead. I think keeping things clear and simple would be the best option, including only the gametype and map name. Keeping the map version on the end was to prevent problems when people with different versions try to play against each other.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:03 pm

If it uses a hash of the map, there shouldn't be a problem to multiwinia if they had the same name, the hash would be different nonetheless.
However, the users might not know what's wrong.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:34 pm

The issue I'm thinking of is accidental filename collisions for maps with the same name by different authors - there's no reason why your version of facing wolds would be the definitive one.

I guess then I'd do;

mp_k2_FacingWorldsNL_2.txt

using b for blitz, k for koth, d for domination, r for rocket riot, a for assault and c for cts - keeps the gametype, # of players, Mapname, author and version in without being crazy padded.

This is just my suggestion, we should maybe come up with a fresh thread for this really - what I definately don't want is to stifle creativity and interest in modding with convoluted discussion on naming schemes :P
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:40 pm

Nukelord- your .Zip file seems to contain everything from the main folder. Is all of that necessary to upload the map? Which files specifically are needed to install the map but change nothing else?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:45 pm

Kuth wrote:Nukelord- your .Zip file seems to contain everything from the main folder. Is all of that necessary to upload the map? Which files specifically are needed to install the map but change nothing else?

Check again. The file contains a folder named data whose contents are basically the map and image thumbnail. All you need to do is copy the Data folder to your Multiwinia folder.
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Xocrates wrote:
Kuth wrote:Nukelord- your .Zip file seems to contain everything from the main folder. Is all of that necessary to upload the map? Which files specifically are needed to install the map but change nothing else?

Check again. The file contains a folder named data whose contents are basically the map and image thumbnail. All you need to do is copy the Data folder to your Multiwinia folder.
Umm, yeah. There are only three files in the zip: map txt, map bmp and the readme. The folders are the same as the main.dat because they need to be for the map to load properly.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:55 pm

*slaps forhead* D'oh! Must have been looking at what I just unzipped. :\

Here's a question: Does Multiwinia draw maps from across the whole computer?

After entering in NukeLord's map I made a copy of the .Data file for further modifications. After loading up Multiwinia to try something (re-mapping the keys, making backwards camera for 'x' instead), I noticed that all of the maps were duplicated once, except for FacingWorlds.

The only thing I can think of is that Multiwinia looks for specificly named files on the computer and implements them, which would explain why every map was duplicated except for Facing Worlds, as there was only one copy on my comptuer outside a .zip file.

--------------

Actually no, nevermind. I only made a copy for the graphics.

But what I'm thinking now is that Multiwinia takes from the Data file and incorporates anything else in the unzipped data folder. This would also explain why there are two copies of a few maps, but only one Facing Worlds.

Now I see. I guess to re-map the keys one would have to unpack Multiwinia, change the settings, then re-pack it as .Data to get it to work.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:33 am

No need to repack, just delete the files you don't want changed from the data dir. What's probably happening is that multiwinia is reading the maps inside main.dat, as well as the ones you extracted. Didn't know it did that.

When the new map system comes it will probably disappear, but perhaps you should report it as a bug, in case IV hasn't noticed yet.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:03 am

Playing with the system stuff now... yeah, you don't need to repack. Not sure what caused my problem, then...
deeCee.
level1
level1

Postby deeCee. » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:23 am

Nice map, just played it and the futurewinians turned up but got completely destroyed by a rocket turret lol.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm

The GoldFish wrote:I guess then I'd do;

mp_k2_FacingWorldsNL_2.txt

using b for blitz, k for koth, d for domination, r for rocket riot, a for assault and c for cts - keeps the gametype, # of players, Mapname, author and version in without being crazy padded.

I like this! Except what if new gamemodes please? become available?
Nevertheless, I'd suggest something slightly similar, but preferably all lowercase (perhaps with dashes for spaces?), and a bit more padding;

mp_<gametype><#players>_<mapname>_<author>_<version>.txt

And for the sake of consistency, version would always be <major>.<minor>
So NukeLord's new map would be either;

mp_k2_facingworlds_nukelord_1.1.txt
OR
mp_k2_facing-worlds_nukelord_1.1.txt

You know, I'll just create a thread for this in a bit. Better sort this out while it won't leave us with legacy problems.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Now with added flags and Multiwinians jumping off cliffs:

Get it here

Return to “Mods and Maps”