Aquapedia (also the CTP)

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:01 am

IronWill wrote:Minimalistic does not mean there should be no ambiance... We deserve more than an empty black background. Moreover I really wonder what 'minimalistic' means when a forest taking fire drops your fps down to 5 or 10 :wink:

You clearly have no idea what I meant by minimalistic. First off, the black background is a minimalistic background. It makes a statement about the isolation of the various regions of Darwinia. It sets the little islands of civilization/warfare apart from each other, and gives each location and each battle significance. This is a kind of ambiance. I am sorry that you have become so used to photo-realistic graphics to realize this.

Second, minimalistic and technically non-strenuous are not the same thing. The aesthetic is minimalistic, even if it requires a modern video card to render it.

Finally, I don't understand what you mean by "we deserve more than an empty black background." Did those that purchased Pollack's art deserve more than paint splatters on a canvas? Do fans of Kandinsky deserve more than apparently random splotches of shape and color? Do viewers of 2001 deserve more dialog in the first act? These things are works of art, driven by the vision of the artists. Darwinia/Multiwinia is much the same -- they are games given birth by the creative talent of Chris Delay. Perhaps you would have done it differently. Perhaps Chris might make the changes you suggest at some point. But to claim that you "deserve" something else is just arrogant.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:03 pm

xander wrote:Do viewers of 2001 deserve more dialog in the first act?

No, but I think we damn well deserved some in the final act! ;)

NeoThermic
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:06 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
No, but I think we damn well deserved some in the final act! ;)

NeoThermic

Can it technically be called an act if nothing happened.
IronWill
level1
level1

Postby IronWill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:24 pm

I have to apologize if you felt I was arrogant because in fact I am just trying to use the words I know as I am neither english nor american.

So I will say that we expect more than a black background. Something living in the behind could be more fun. For example a background that could react on what happens during the battle. Or just a background that changes color depending of who is leading the battle, I don't know. But why set up a sky and not a background ?

I am not saying it MUST be like this or this, but that COULD be like this or this and this is what is expected from us on that part of the forum. You may be a bit too much conservative however.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:41 pm

vanarbulax wrote:Can it technically be called an act if nothing happened.

... Say what?

It's not like there was just a still image on the screen. How can you say nothing happened?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:04 pm

NeoThermic wrote:No, but I think we damn well deserved some in the final act! ;)

vanarbulax wrote:Can it technically be called an act if nothing happened.

Heathens.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:21 pm

RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:43 pm

That's such an awesome picture.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:05 am

RabidZombie wrote:That's such an awesome picture.

Absolutely, a good laugh.
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:13 pm

Very nice TGF.
mr_shoe_uk
level1
level1

Postby mr_shoe_uk » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:54 pm

Hm, I'm going on holiday for a couple of weeks soon, but if this stuff is still ongoing when I'm back I definitely want to try!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:09 pm

OK THEN!

I'm on the train back home after my impromptu 3 week or so holiday... so I'm going to try and kick this thing back into life! No one's yet the wiser about when the mod stuffs are going to come along or what form they're going to take exactly, so, by that virtue there's still plenty of time to put more textures together, or at least come to some sort of conclusion that we're happy with the pack as it stands at the moment. I'd love to see a few more textures get put in, but who knows! I'll hopefully have some more time to contrib some more myself, too.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:37 am

The GoldFish wrote:Image

<3
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:28 am

Ooooooooooooookay! I'm pretty much at the stage of wrapping this all up, and sending it off to IV. I've moved basically everything over (and in fact, redone everything from scratch, some 332 screenshots, taking up 1.8 GB on my hard drive (stupid bmp)) and created the Aquapedia (including neat banner).

If anyone can see any problems with anything, or thinks something could be changed or whatever, I definately still want to hear from you. Also if you want to submit any textures (I think this is pretty unlikely now, but, if you DO) I'm still completely open to adding them into the CTP - you have pretty much until the end of Sunday in GMT (or basically until Ice gets up on Monday, I guess, and even then there's probably some wiggle room). The first post explains what that is all about, pretty much.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:32 am

I'm replying to my own topic with myself the post before! Yay bump!

Anyway I've added credits on a perfile basis onto the listing. I may however have made a mistake here and there but I think it's mostly right. Only people who need to check are xander, LLamaBoy and Jelco, apparently o_o. Or anyone else who submitted textures and I forgot about them...

As an aside... if my authorguessing is correct, I think the count works out something like this

TGF(+Wolf) - 128
xander - 112
Official - 40
LLamaBoy - 39
Jelco - 13
Everyone else - 0

To be fair, many (many) of mine are rehues of other textures or small modifications (eg defrot). The same applies to xander's mammoth 72 waves colours. I also hue cycled several people's textures (and attributed them authorship), but interestingly none of Jelco's, which is why he looks quite sorry at the bottom of the pile with a meer 13 files. 13 actual original files though is quite a hefty amount. Anyway ALL THOSE PEOPLE ARE AWESOME HOORAY LET US CLAP AND APPLAUD THEIR EFFORTS.

Also if xander wants to contribute any more files he may. But only... uhhhm... 15 more of them. I do have to be at least semi reasonable you know... *cough cough*

*awaits submit submit submittity submit submit...*

Return to “Mods and Maps”