Aquapedia (also the CTP)

Working on new maps for Multiwinia? Discuss!

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:20 am

Thanks for clearing that up GoldFish :)

I just assumed the map editor came with a list of objects that could be placed on a level. This is where 'custom' buildings would have been placed, but it seems I'm incorrect in this thinking.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:27 am

Well, you can place generic buildings with static shapes, as basic ornaments. Maybe that's what you mean, as opposed to custom looks to eg spawn points and such like.

If that's the case, I'm afraid I kind of jumped the gun and misunderstood what you were saying, or at least partially.

Regardless, this still isn't something that I'd like to particularly touch, mainly because I have no skill for it (and few people do) nor a repository of quality content to get the ball rolling.
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:46 pm

Last edited by briceman2 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
briceman2
level2
level2

Postby briceman2 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:51 pm

Last edited by briceman2 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi Briceman, yeah, I know, you can use whatever size you like etc.

The main reason to use 64x64 textures is simply an assumption; I assume that elevation and slope are only determined out of 64 (maybe they aren't, even if they're not, would anyone ever notice) and there's not really any reason to use anything larger. Plus, since they're bitmaps (or more specifically, lossless and full of typically full of gradients), it helps cut down filesize to use smaller images. (So far the landscape pack alone is about half a meg once rarred)

So, it's not because the engine would go up in arms, it's just being sensible.

Also, re custom statues, I would have assumed this would be possible to do with a (graphics replacement) mod? I'm not sure what you're getting at really - if you want to rally support for an idea I'd suggest you post clearly what on earth it's about and how it works (read get the heeeell outta ma thread wid yo crazy ass ideas >:O) - I generally assume that you're suggesting that maps should be supplyable with a resources list, and the server-client map propogation also propogate any additional custom landscapes/shapes, and this function the same way a mod does (so people can supply custom over-ride shapes with their maps)

Also! I don't suppose you have any landscapes you'd like to throw our way? :P
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:42 am

I was making some progress to getting ready to start modding/experimenting, only to be stopped short when I couldn't find out how to get level editing set up in Multiwinia.

I don't have a 'preferences.txt' file anywhere in the Darwinia directory. I presume this only happens after you finished the game? I"ve already finished it long ago, but do I have to complete the game again in order to get to modding Multiwinia?

I'd also like to contribute some land gradients eventually, but I'd like to test them in Darwinia... not possible because of the above.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:13 am

First I suppose I should say that you should use 1.42, rather than 1.5.X, since there are minor differences in the renderer, and 1.42 shares renderer with multiwinia. If you use vista with 1.5.X it'll scurry your preferences.txt off somewhere, so maybe that's your problem?

Also you can get a copy of the basic mod I've been using for these shots off of my crapmods webpage (my www link)
Last edited by The GoldFish on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:16 am

yeah that's it. Running vista with the version of Darwinia via download in the store.

Well... I guess I can't do any modding until I get my mits back around my old Darwinia disc... which is miles away at my home in another city. Unless Darwinia comes with a downgrade feature?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:22 am

You paste the 1.42 patch over the top of it. Instant downgrade.

Failing that it doesn't REALLY matter, just find prefs in saved games/something something something...
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:23 am

I'll give it a look as soon as I get back to the apartment. Thanks again.
IronWill
level1
level1

Postby IronWill » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:40 pm

I am not concerned by mapmaking or modding on MWinia as there is nothing available to common players to do that in a simple maneer.

I would just suggest all developers and modmakers to change this dark background of Multiwinia by something more sexy, even if I don't know if community may have the hand on that kind of adjustments.

For exemple space backgrounds of Homeworld were certainly among the most beautiful backgrounds of space ever realized for video games : they made the ambiance. On the opposite we can conclude that dark/black is not the best choice for the background of a DWinia battlefield.

I think there is a real need to replace that black background by other psychedelic and nice-looking backgrounds.

(For those who do not know Homeworld, take a look at the backgrounds of these pics :)

Ok, these backgrounds are beautiful but may not be the best choiche for DWinia : but you got the point. Goal is to be able to set up various ambiances.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:10 am

Uhm... what?

I guess you mean the uh, well, infinate black area past the waves outline? And like up in the sky, too, I guess...

There's nothing available for generic modders to touch that (and to be honest this isn't really the place to be suggesting it) but, really, you DO have a point - the black is pretty boring. The only (and possibly best) thing I can think to do with it would be to maybe have an artifical circular wall around the location you're in (which also coincidently blocks camera movement), with the water waking up around it as it would normal landscape. Then past that, render the Darwinia world map, soul repository and all (maybe muchly simplified so as not to strain processing too much.

The only issue with that is that, since it's all I guess taking place in Darwinia, the only thing to change would be the where the map you're in is on Darwinia's surface, changing the view. It would be hard to relate any specific map theme unless additional effects were thought of - I guess the darker upper reaches of Darwinia could be smoggy or something, and full of horrible dark viral beasts.
IronWill
level1
level1

Postby IronWill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:48 am

Yeah that was my idea : changing this black empty void background in the games to something more 'Multiwinia' and also nice and different from a game to another.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:50 am

One of the things that I have always liked about Darwinia (and now Multiwinia) is that the entire graphical scheme is somewhat minimalistic. Honestly, I would hate to see that change, and I think that the idea of backgrounds as you suggest would be a drastic change. Sometimes it is not the notes that matter, but the silences between the notes.

xander
IronWill
level1
level1

Postby IronWill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:26 am

Minimalistic does not mean there should be no ambiance... We deserve more than an empty black background. Moreover I really wonder what 'minimalistic' means when a forest taking fire drops your fps down to 5 or 10 :wink:

Return to “Mods and Maps”