Page 2 of 3

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:28 pm
by jelco
unit684 wrote:I got a response from introversion. They said that if I reinstall and enter the key again it should work but I have tried reinstalling and as I downloaded it with steam it has no key.

You do have a key, Steam just handles the entering for you. You might want to try this: Uninstall it, go to your Steam directory (I think that's where Steam places this file) and delete the authkey file. Then reinstall.

Jelco

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:53 pm
by unit684
ok thanks, i'll give it a go when I get home

btw is the file called authkey.txt or something like that? or does it have a more complicated name?

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:58 pm
by jelco
Just plain authkey - no file extension. ;)

Jelco

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:28 pm
by TomCat39
I got this black screen with steam on one of the updates. The auth key hadn't been updated on steam for the new version. Acted just like you post. Black screen, hear audio hovering over unseen links.

The next day steam updated the auth database and all went well.

When opening the client, steam client says authorized or unknown in the lower right. When unknown, no games work and you get the black screen. When it auth's everything works fine.

Here is a work around for the tutorials. Go download the demo from IV. Plug your key that you XXXX'd out from your debug into the demo. It will give you the full version. Run the tutorials from that version and not steam.

Sounds like steam isn't auth'ing your key for whatever reason.

Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:44 pm
by jelco
Actually, uh...

Code: Select all

Requesting authentication of key XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXX
Received Authentication : XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXX : (keyID 674248) : Accepted

I think he does get authenticated. ;)

Jelco

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 am
by unit684
jelco wrote:You do have a key, Steam just handles the entering for you. You might want to try this: Uninstall it, go to your Steam directory (I think that's where Steam places this file) and delete the authkey file. Then reinstall.
Jelco


I have searched for 'authkey' in my Steam directory and windows could not find it :?:

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:05 pm
by jelco
Did you include subdirectories? It should be in /Steam/steamapps/<username/common>/multiwinia/ as far as I know. If it isn't, it probably gets removed when Multiwinia is uninstalled, in which case I am clueless as to what you need to do.

Jelco

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:32 pm
by NeatNit
jelco wrote:Did you include subdirectories? It should be in /Steam/steamapps/<username/common>/multiwinia/ as far as I know. If it isn't, it probably gets removed when Multiwinia is uninstalled, in which case I am clueless as to what you need to do.

Jelco
Actually, it's exactly in:
<Steam folder>/steamapps/common/multiwinia/authkey
Where authkey is not a folder but an extentionless file.
Also, make sure it's the correct installation of Steam - somtimes you install it once but forget, install it again somewhere else, and when you come to look you look in the first one which usually has no games in it.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm
by unit684
The authkey thing didn't work. By the way, my game says Accepted in the bottom right corner so i don't think it is anything to do with my key.

Using the non steam version didn't work either.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm
by TomCat39
jelco wrote:Actually, uh...

Code: Select all

Requesting authentication of key XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXX
Received Authentication : XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXX : (keyID 674248) : Accepted

I think he does get authenticated. ;)

Jelco

Good deal, I didn't spend any time deciphering through the log. I just know that the steam version acts EXACTLY as he describes when it doesn't auth. But does it for ALL game modes, not just the tutorials. Guess it doesn't apply here though.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:18 pm
by jelco
unit684 wrote:The authkey thing didn't work. By the way, my game says Accepted in the bottom right corner so i don't think it is anything to do with my key.

Using the non steam version didn't work either.

This means it's got to do with your machine, or at least the Multiwinia's (in)compatibility with its hardware. I would suggest checking up on your graphics drivers again - you said "it didn't work" previously, does that mean it failed or that you are up-to-date? Try removing the drivers and reinstalling them from scratch.

Jelco

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:18 pm
by Killjoy
Also Post your full system spec,

Dell? Toshiba? Model?
CPU? make model?
Amount of memory? Speed?
Windows? I assume Vista? is it Service Pack 1?
Graphics Card? Nvidia 8600 GT, is it SLI?
DirectX Version? do you have version 10? Check the microsoft website and redownload.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 pm
by xander
Killjoy wrote:DirectX Version? do you have version 10? Check the microsoft website and redownload.

Multiwinia uses OpenGL, not DirectX.

xander

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 pm
by Killjoy
Well that rules Direct3D out.

What is your desktop resolution? and colour depth?

Could you post your preferences.txt file here?

Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:32 am
by Killjoy
Also What Monitor do you have? Make and Model, need to rule out your not getting a black screen due to trying to run MultiWinia in a Resolution / Colour Bit Rate / Refresh Rate that your vdu/monitor/display cannot handle.