Black screen when I try to play the tutorial

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:28 pm

I got this black screen with steam on one of the updates. The auth key hadn't been updated on steam for the new version. Acted just like you post. Black screen, hear audio hovering over unseen links.

The next day steam updated the auth database and all went well.

When opening the client, steam client says authorized or unknown in the lower right. When unknown, no games work and you get the black screen. When it auth's everything works fine.

Here is a work around for the tutorials. Go download the demo from IV. Plug your key that you XXXX'd out from your debug into the demo. It will give you the full version. Run the tutorials from that version and not steam.

Sounds like steam isn't auth'ing your key for whatever reason.
"Now, stop being a douche to the newbie, and run along."

xander
unit684
level1
level1

Postby unit684 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 am

jelco wrote:You do have a key, Steam just handles the entering for you. You might want to try this: Uninstall it, go to your Steam directory (I think that's where Steam places this file) and delete the authkey file. Then reinstall.
Jelco

I have searched for 'authkey' in my Steam directory and windows could not find it :?:
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:32 pm

jelco wrote:Did you include subdirectories? It should be in /Steam/steamapps/<username/common>/multiwinia/ as far as I know. If it isn't, it probably gets removed when Multiwinia is uninstalled, in which case I am clueless as to what you need to do.

Jelco
Actually, it's exactly in:
<Steam folder>/steamapps/common/multiwinia/authkey
Where authkey is not a folder but an extentionless file.
Also, make sure it's the correct installation of Steam - somtimes you install it once but forget, install it again somewhere else, and when you come to look you look in the first one which usually has no games in it.
unit684
level1
level1

Postby unit684 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:42 pm

The authkey thing didn't work. By the way, my game says Accepted in the bottom right corner so i don't think it is anything to do with my key.

Using the non steam version didn't work either.
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm

jelco wrote:Actually, uh...

Code: Select all

Requesting authentication of key XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXX
Received Authentication : XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXX : (keyID 674248) : Accepted

I think he does get authenticated. ;)

Jelco

Good deal, I didn't spend any time deciphering through the log. I just know that the steam version acts EXACTLY as he describes when it doesn't auth. But does it for ALL game modes, not just the tutorials. Guess it doesn't apply here though.
"Now, stop being a douche to the newbie, and run along."

xander
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:18 pm

Also Post your full system spec,

Dell? Toshiba? Model?
CPU? make model?
Amount of memory? Speed?
Windows? I assume Vista? is it Service Pack 1?
Graphics Card? Nvidia 8600 GT, is it SLI?
DirectX Version? do you have version 10? Check the microsoft website and redownload.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 pm

Killjoy wrote:DirectX Version? do you have version 10? Check the microsoft website and redownload.

Multiwinia uses OpenGL, not DirectX.

xander
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Well that rules Direct3D out.

What is your desktop resolution? and colour depth?

Could you post your preferences.txt file here?
Killjoy
level1
level1

Postby Killjoy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:32 am

Also What Monitor do you have? Make and Model, need to rule out your not getting a black screen due to trying to run MultiWinia in a Resolution / Colour Bit Rate / Refresh Rate that your vdu/monitor/display cannot handle.
multimania
level2
level2
Location: Perth, Western Australia · Mountain View, California

Postby multimania » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:51 am

The problem looks more network related to me -- the "CLIENT identity unknown" messages imply that there is difficulty working out the IP address.

Make sure multiwinia is not blocked in any firewalls (primarily local ones, like the Windows Firewall that's part of vista). If that doesn't work, try disabling network adaptors.

Of course, the client is sending data to the server correctly -- the problem seems more like the data not getting back.
unit684
level1
level1

Postby unit684 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:22 am

I have Zone Alarm, which I know can be very troublesome in some cases. It is thew free version. I had a look in program control and Multiwinia has full access with all four things ticked.

Windows Firewall is turned off.
multimania wrote:The problem looks more network related to me -- the "CLIENT identity unknown" messages imply that there is difficulty working out the IP address.

Make sure multiwinia is not blocked in any firewalls (primarily local ones, like the Windows Firewall that's part of vista). If that doesn't work, try disabling network adaptors.

Of course, the client is sending data to the server correctly -- the problem seems more like the data not getting back.

Also here is my system specs from dxdiag:

Code: Select all

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Basic (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: DIXONSXP
       System Model: Ei 206
               BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) D CPU 3.46GHz, ~3.5GHz
             Memory: 1534MB RAM
          Page File: 1201MB used, 2123MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

This is just the first bit of my dxdiag. I have the rest of it saved to my desktop and could upload it if needed.

Also I am running the game in 1280x1024 which is the normal resolution I have windows set to. I have tried running in different resolutions and running it windowed and it doesn't make a difference.

Removing the graphics card drivers and reinstalling them didn't make a difference either.

Does anyone think it is worth asking Introversion again or contacting steam?
Vladster
level0

Postby Vladster » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:12 am

Hi there. I have the same problem with Multiwinia. The issue happens with my new computer (the older ones works perfectly)
Weird thing is that Darwinia and Defcon work perfectly... ?

I was wondering if a solution ever came up for this ....

Thanks in advance

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”