HOW TO: Change your controls

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:58 pm

All I know is that when I change to hebrew and the program I'm in doesn't support hebrew, it shows this crap.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Kuth wrote:...I was under the same assumption you were Fish, that a US keyboard would use UK settings as...

Uh, I don't think I was under that impression at all. I have 3 set ups for my US keyboard;
US english, because it's an american keyboard.
UK english, so I can type in £ signs if I ever need to, or get at ¬ and ¦...
And US Dvorak, because Dvorak is a nightmare.

Before I set up these additional layouts, just having US english (because I have a US keyboard on this computer, and back when this was posted, I was using a laptop with a UK keyboard), multiwinia has since used en_US.txt, which is why I even have it. When starting it up now, I would have expected Multiwinia to detect which keyboard profile was in use at start up and use that keyboards locale file, but probably never check again. It apparently doesn't do this, and in my scenario, it currently seems to be using en_UK.txt even when it probably shouldn't be.

Basically US and UK keyboards are different in that UK keyboards have 1 extra key (due to a less wide left shift) and a different shaped return key. Beyond that, at least nowerdays, it's just the way the computer interprets the input from the keyboard; my US keyboard in UK layout can quite happily give ú and ó and í etc.

Kuth wrote:Though does this mean the teamspeak is still disabled? Are the only the commands that are changed and the keys re-bound the ones that don't work in their default settings?

As an aside, what's this about, I don't really understand what you mean.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:17 pm

Though does this mean the teamspeak is still disabled? Are the only the commands that are changed and the keys re-bound the ones that don't work in their default settings?

I mean I'm basically asking if the chat keys are disabled now since I've re-defined my key settings. Would I have to define them specifically in en_Us.txt or do they remain unchanged so long as the key binding is not changed in the .txt file?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Uhm, nothing gets disabled. The only time anything got disabled was if you didn't update a 1.0 input_preferences.txt when it got updated in 1.1, which I bang on about in the initial post of this topic. If you use the (generally cleaner) keyboard locales to bind anything to a key that was already bound, then I expect it probably only performs that action, so if you bound moveforwards to z you might not be able to zoom in. Teamspeak is a 3rd party app that I don't see how this has anything to do with... is there some keybind I don't know about? Regardless if there is, find what it would be in input_preferences.txt and rebind it in your keyboards file.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”