HOW TO: Change your controls

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:08 am

I know.

But whenever I hit ENTER while playing the game, I get NO CHAT WINDOW.

I suspect it might have something to do with re-binding my keys to change the 'x' key to reversing the camera.

I wanted to know the CODE SPEAK for binding CHAT, so I can identify it in the code and have enter work again.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:32 pm

I've got no idea why it happens, all I know is that was what I experienced as a result of using a 1.05 input_prefs file in 1.1 and 1.2. There doesn't seem to be anything obvious in the files to explain why this happens.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:44 am

Has anyone worked out control changes for 1.3? Big fingers do not like using 's' to move the camera backwards, and following the tutorial yields no results.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:04 pm

Kuth wrote:Has anyone worked out control changes for 1.3? Big fingers do not like using 's' to move the camera backwards, and following the tutorial yields no results.

The only reason this hasn't been updated is there hasn't been any need to as far as I can see, my C:\Program Files (x86)\Multiwinia\data\input\keyboards\en_US.txt still works fine; are you sure it's all set up properly?
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:25 pm

My guess is he's lazy like be and hasn't tried yet because it would probably not work.

But I don't ask these questions unless I KNOW it won't work.

And also, I know that it probably would work.

Point is, he's lazy :P
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:38 pm

pretty sure... I followed all the directions in the first page of this thread and the camera backwards movement is still keyed to 's', where I want it keyed to 'x'

This is what's in en_UK now, located in Computer>C: drive > Program Files > Multiwinia > Data > Input > Keyboards

Code: Select all

CameraLeft                        = key q pressed
CameraRight                       = key e pressed
CameraUp                          = key w pressed
CameraDown                        = key s pressed
CameraForwards                    = key a pressed
CameraBackwards                   = key x pressed
UnitCycleLeft           = key control pressed && key tab down

Though this doesn't even make sense, since camera forward ingame isn't even 'a', it's 'w'.

And it can't be that the modified files themselves are ignored since I have custom icons that appear to work.
Last edited by Kuth on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:53 pm

According to what you're saying, apparently up/down and forwards/backwards are the other way around. so up is forwards and down is backwards etc.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:08 pm

Kuth wrote:This is what's in en_UK now, located in Computer>C: drive > Program Files > Multiwinia > Data > Input

The GoldFish wrote:somefolder/multiwinia.exe
somefolder/data/input/keyboards

So, not in the keyboards folder then?
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Yeah it is, I forgot that branch of the files and edited my post too late.

For kicks, I keyed everything to a, b, c, d and so on down the list. It was still keyed to the default settings.

Whatever it is, it seems to ignore the keyboards file. Are you sure it should be in the keyboards folder and en_UK.txt, and not something else? The custom icons work, and I can see the two custom levels that I loaded as well.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:18 am

Well, at the time I posted, I tested your layout specifically and it worked fine for me with 1.3, unless I'm doing something wrong with my versioning.

I don't suppose you could check you don't have multiple keyboards/keyboard layouts installed or anything? A small investigation on my part, since I've not played since I set up both UK and Dvorak layouts for my keyboard, has yielded the suggestion that even though it's set up as a US keyboard as default, and in almost every other detail, Multiwinia is actually using the en_UK.txt file and not en_US.txt. (I had 2 identical files because of moving the install from my PC to a laptop)

You can find the keyboard language settings on the language bar settings, or in Region and Language if you're on W7/Vista.

Failing this, could you try just editing the input_preferences.txt from your main.dat file and dropping that in data/input? If that doesn't yield results then I've no idea why it isn't working.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:52 am

All right... I found it.

The file in my case should be named en_US.txt.

I don't get it, since I was under the same assumption you were Fish, that a US keyboard would use UK settings as well (is there really a difference between US and UK keyboards?). I changed the text name, noticed it wasn't using the default layout, and that solved the issue. Though does this mean the teamspeak is still disabled? Are the only the commands that are changed and the keys re-bound the ones that don't work in their default settings?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:08 am

Kuth wrote:is there really a difference between US and UK keyboards?

UK

US
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:19 am

Wtf's Alt Gr and what's the point of the other E, A, U, I, O?
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:58 am

At a guess, the Alt Gr key works a lot like the function key on some laptops. It is used in conjuction with those other letters to quickly type accented letters (yes they are accented). Most useful if you have to compile a list of French names.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Thé pöint öf thè öthêr léttèrs is tö süppört whäcky ÉÙ Längûágês.

And yeah, Alt-GR works mostly like regular Alt, but accesses those secondary characters. I personally prefer getting them via dead keys, though.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”