Connection Problems

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Connection Problems

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:07 pm

Firstly, we're sorry to those people having trouble playing our game online.

If you are experiencing regular connection problems it is likely you have a restrictive NAT router, which basically means your router doesn't play well with our game. This will affect your ability to join games (it will only work if the host is behind a very permissive type of router) and you probably won't be able to get anyone to join your own hosted games. This affects about 5% of Internet Routers in existence.

The good news is you can fix it one of two ways. You can put your computer into a DMZ (usually by fiddling with the settings on your router) - which means you'll be directly connected to the Internet. Or our preferred way - setting up Port Forwarding. Again you do this by logging in to your router usually. You need to forward ports 4000 UDP and 4001 UDP to your game computer. Once that's done the game should play fine.

You should also disable Firewalls and Virus Checkers, and indeed any internet applications that might be interfering - ICQ, Skype, Bittorret, SugarSync etc. They have all been known to interfere.

And yes, there is a bug in the launch version that allows you to join a single player game :) We will obviously fix that asap.
Aegis Tyra
level1
level1

Postby Aegis Tyra » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:46 pm

Do you have to? I quite enjoy jumping into some guy's SP game
where he's owning hte AI, and reversing the tables on him horribly.
You know who you are, mr. NewPlayer on your demo.
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:13 am

You can't join people playing with the demo. I think. Although it would explain how those two easy computers managed to flank me at the same time while corodinateing airstrikes to make my WM ignore my orders......
[insert outrageously funny/insightful comment here]

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”