How to turn off sound? WINE?

Get community help for technical problems

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Slayerno1
level0

How to turn off sound? WINE?

Postby Slayerno1 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:36 am

I am trying to run multiwinia on Wine but get the error that directsound isnt supported. can you just play without sound? which file needs to be edited? anyone suceeded in running it on wine?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:00 am

There used to be a way to force Darwinia to use a very broken software sound lib, by changing SoundLibrary = dsound in preferences.txt to be basically anything else. I think there was also a way to disable it completely, but I don't remember what it was.

Trying to use the software lib made Multiwinia crash at the menu, I'm afriad, so no quick fix there. I'll dredge through the old windows support forum for Darwinia and see if I can see anything.

edit - blah, can't find anything...
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Slayerno1
level0

Postby Slayerno1 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:23 am

especially since there is no preferences.txt here (preload).. which file has to be changed to turn off sound? :)

thanks for the fast reply by the way
ewanm
level3
level3

Postby ewanm » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:26 am

This seems to be something with specific versions in specific versions of wine and specific versions of multiwinia, the betas ran fine until a couple weeks ago, there were a few of us that tested in wine.

I suddenly started hitting this error. Haven't found a fix yet...
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:37 am

Preferences.txt is now hidden away in a horrible directory somewhere, for XP at least it's documents and settings/username/local settings/application data/introversion/multiwinia - I'm not sure exactly what wine does with files being saved like this.

However, you have struck upon the problem that if Multiwinia fails to start, it won't even create the file, so you might have to open main.dat (it's actually just a rar), and get default_preferences.txt out of it, rename that and put it where multiwinia will be looking (I'm afraid I have no idea where this will be, although I imagine if you can run the auto patcher then it should have created autopatcher_debug in this directory perhaps) if you need a preferences file to edit. I'm not sure that this will actually be able to get you anywhere, though.
Slayerno1
level0

Postby Slayerno1 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:21 am

hmmm did not find a fix. anyone else luckier than me?
multimania
level2
level2
Location: Perth, Western Australia · Mountain View, California

Postby multimania » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:51 am

I've been playing multiwinia in wine since the early beta.

I've had no problems with DirectSound, but you can change "SoundLibrary" from "dsound" to "software" to use the software sound mixer or to "none" to disable sound completely.

Note also that multiwinia crashes when you try to quit in wine; this is punishment for trying to do something other than play multiwinia. :P

"preferences.txt" is found in ".wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/"<username>"/Local Settings/Application Data/Introversion/Multiwinia"

If Introversion keep to their track record, we can expect native mac and linux versions soon.
Slayerno1
level0

Postby Slayerno1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:10 am

I turned off the sound and dont get the dsound error anymore but after the introversion loga, the game crashes without an error message. can anyone help me?
aoanla
level1
level1

Postby aoanla » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:45 pm

I have exactly the same problem as Slayerno1 - I get a DSound error when trying to launch multiwinia from Steam in Wine, but fixing this by using software sound results in the game crashing anyway.

On the other hand, others seem to have had no problems getting Multiwinia to work in Wine - can we narrow down where the issue is?

I'm using wine-1.1.5, in Ubuntu 8.04 64bit.

My crash, by the way, has the following traceback:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\multiwinia\MultiwiniaSupport.exe
0000003b 0 <==
Backtrace:
=>1 0x00406023 in multiwiniasupport (+0x6023) (0x0033ff08)
2 0x7b8782c7 start_process+0xc7(arg=(nil)) [/home/aoanla/wine-1.1.5/dlls/kernel32/process.c:904] in kernel32 (0x0033ffe8)

which seems a little short to me.
aoanla
level1
level1

Postby aoanla » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:34 pm

Just to note that Sulix and I (with some help from Rkiver) have solved this.

In winecfg, setting Hardware Acceleration to "Full" stops the crashes, even if your sound is set to "none".
Jazz Ad
level1
level1

Postby Jazz Ad » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:03 pm

I have no idea what you're talking about. :?
Wine under Ubuntu Studio 64, works like a charm without editing anything.
I don't know what I have that you don't but here it's fine.
aoanla
level1
level1

Postby aoanla » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:51 pm

It's very very simple, Jazz Ad: for Multiwinia to work properly in Wine, the DirectSound Hardware Acceleration setting needs to be "Full".
It probably defaults to this, hence the fact that you've not had a problem. Indeed, you can stop reading right now, since you don't need to know what I'm talking about to enjoy Multiwinia in Wine. :wink:

However! People exist who have had a problem with running Multiwinia in Wine. These people would probably like to know how to get things working. Hence, this post, and the previous post. These people might want to continue reading here.

For these people, it is apparently the case that their setting for DirectSound Hardware Acceleration is not "Full", but is probably "Emulation". There are various reasons why these people might have these settings - in my case, it was because earlier versions of Wine (back around 0.9.40 or so, I think) had issues with Source engine games without using DirectSound emulation (this is no longer an issue, but I'd never bothered to change the setting back).

So, what I'm saying here is: if you don't have a problem running Multiwinia in Wine then clearly you don't need to do anything. If you do, then make the relevant change.

(Honestly, who would have thought people would complain about someone giving advice to people about a problem they don't have personally?)
Culex
level1
level1

Postby Culex » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm sorry, that didn't do the trick for me. I still get the aforementioned error.

My default sample rate is 44100 with 16 bits per sample per default. Do I need a special library override or something like that? The sound acceleration is set to full and the "driver emulation" checkbox isn't activated.
aoanla
level1
level1

Postby aoanla » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:03 am

Shouldn't do - I didn't.

Are you getting the same DirectSound crash as Slayerno1 and I were getting?
If so, can you tell us what sound driver and WaveOut you're set to in Wine as well? (ALSA is what I have, using dmix:0 which should be the default, I think.)
Culex
level1
level1

Postby Culex » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:24 am

If we're taling about the same it should be. However here's the error:
"DirectSound ERROR
..\..\code\sound\sound_library_3d_dsound.cpp line 348

Direct Sound couldn't create a sound device
Error Code : DSERR_ALLOCATED
The call failed because resources (such as a low priority level) were already being used by another caller"

Nothing else uses my soundcard. I checked with fuser /dev/dsp (This is correct, I'm using OSS instead of ALSA).

OSS Driver:
WaveOut: ICH AC97 Mixer (AD1981B) - using the standard OSS mixer.

Running multwinia with WINEDEBUG="+dsound": http://pastebin.com/f4991c9e8
Interesting lines:
warn:dsound:DSOUND_ReopenDevice waveOutOpen failed
warn:dsound:DirectSoundDevice_Initialize DSOUND_ReopenDevice failed: 8878000a

This error code SEEMS to mean "bad audio driver"...
Setting the drivers to emulation didn't help as well.

If I set SoundLibrary to none, the game crashes after the rotating darwinian. It seems opening the .dat files didn't work. The unpacker skips all the files for some reason, but unpacking them manually didn't help as well.
Last edited by Culex on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”