Is there a future at all?

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Mastix
level1
level1

Is there a future at all?

Postby Mastix » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:41 am

A little question for the IW staff, I know you are doing hard money-wise, and you might not care about Multiwinia now that much, but just wanted to ask, are you abandoning Multiwinia?
I mean, you did some Bug fix patches and tiny patches yea, but what about some new content? maps? gamemodes? more than 4 players? team-chat? power-ups? Are you going to do some patches with content or just leave it as it is?
And also is there any patch in plan currently?
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:06 am

I'm not IV staff, and I'm not sure what I can say without violating NDA, but here goes:
There is at least 1 big patch coming. It will include a map editor. This is common knowledge. It directly follows that new maps will come once this is released.
New gamemodes are unlikely, as 1) no decent gamemodes have been suggested, and 2) they would take a massive amount of work.
Adding additional players is also unlikely, as it would require completely changing large parts of the engine. It is technically possible currently, but has many issues as a direct result of it being a bug itself.
Team-chat will probably be included at some point. This being a minor change, it shouldn't be hard to implement.

As for if IV is abandoning Multiwinia, I would assume not. There are other projects with priority right now, but assuming Introversion survives long enough, they will probably come back to it.
Disclaimer: I am in no position of authority, so any of what I say may be partially or completely false. Neither I nor Introversion are liable for any mental anguish or other damages incurred as a result of acting on information given here.

Shwart!!
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:59 am

I asked about the release of the Map editor and was told that it'll probably come after Darwinia+ is released. The thinking I guess is that D+ will bring onboard new players, while a Multiwinia patch and the new Map editor will help keep those hooked to stay.

But like you I wonder sometimes if Introversion abandoned Multiwinia because of the lack of updates and the push for new games. MW, I feel, is too great and flexible of a gaming system to abandon. But then again, IV is in financial straits, so they have to do whatever they can to stay afloat. I'll wait.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:23 am

Shwart!! wrote:Team-chat will probably be included at some point. This being a minor change, it shouldn't be hard to implement.
Just a small note in case some of you have missed it, the dedwinias already have team chat via the /team or /t chat command.
Mastix
level1
level1

Postby Mastix » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Those replies are a bit disapointing, and since they also "abandoned" Defcon, I'm not sure if I will buy more of their games.
When you buy a Multiplayer focused games you should expect some offical support for a long time, especialy from indie devs.
DAMN, even FREE mods and indie games get more support than this :evil:
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:56 pm

FREE games are made by hobbyists. They usually have FREE TIME to support them after release. One can only hope that when D+ is finally out they get some of that to direct towards Multiwinia.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:10 pm

I suppose you could call continuing to have the metaserver may count as support (for defcon, that is)? I also think that as long as they're selling it, they're pretty much obliged to keep that running.

As for Multiwinia, as others have mentioned, something or other will most likely happen once D+ is out and the post-release firefighting is over.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:20 pm

Like what? Map editor and that'll be it.
Mastix
level1
level1

Postby Mastix » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Wow... so Introversion post-release support is worse than EA.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:51 pm

Mastix wrote:Wow... so Introversion post-release support is worse than EA.

Indeed, a ten person company developing new games while trying to support 4 others have worse support than a multi-million company with hundreds of employees.

Shocking!
Mastix
level1
level1

Postby Mastix » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Xocrates wrote:
Mastix wrote:Wow... so Introversion post-release support is worse than EA.

Indeed, a ten person company developing new games while trying to support 4 others have worse support than a multi-million company with hundreds of employees.

Shocking!

Also shocking that a free mods like PVK2, Project Reality and many other mods that are released free of charge, by developers that have a work, and sometimes even a family, and get not even a penny for their work, have patches released over years, with Tons of new content, maps, modes, total gameplay overhauls, EVERYTHING.
Don't try to justify lack of support to what you pay, indie or not.
Last edited by Mastix on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Indeed, MW had some minor patches, only bug fixes really, and ow yeah chat in lobby, wich is pretty standard for any game, also they planned to have map editor in release, because if they found it otherwise a little bit of a rape-off, but due to lack of time and money or something, always same story, they released it earlier and they kind of promised map editor to come later soon.
And well, it didn't come yet. Also they have sticky about power-ups wich you have undoubtly noticed, so far we had none, zero, no new power-ups at all, I'm not really intrested in power-ups anyway, but still, this whole fuckin topic is about the future of this game, but IV lacked the intrest from the get-go to really go further with it, if you ask me.

Besides, I don't know if you bought this game or not, but you shouldn't because almost no one plays it anymore, and in a year it'll be completely forgotten and I'll cry everyday.

HELL YEAH even EA does better job for keeping there games alive.
Mastix
level1
level1

Postby Mastix » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:02 pm

Jordy... wrote:Indeed, MW had some minor patches, only bug fixes really, and ow yeah chat in lobby, wich is pretty standard for any game, also they planned to have map editor in release, because if they found it otherwise a little bit of a rape-off, but due to lack of time and money or something, always same story, they released it earlier and they kind of promised map editor to come later soon.
And well, it didn't come yet. Also they have sticky about power-ups wich you have undoubtly noticed, so far we had none, zero, no new power-ups at all, I'm not really intrested in power-ups anyway, but still, this whole fuckin topic is about the future of this game, but IV lacked the intrest from the get-go to really go further with it, if you ask me.

Besides, I don't know if you bought this game or not, but you shouldn't because almost no one plays it anymore, and in a year it'll be completely forgotten and I'll cry everyday.

HELL YEAH even EA does better job for keeping there games alive.

I did buy the Multiwinia + Darwinia deal, and Defcon (total of 25$), I do enjoy them but I don't have the feeling that the devs give a flying crap about them, and some of you guyz try to justify them with stupid excuses.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:06 pm

indeed!
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:07 pm

If we're whining about neglected games, how about Uplink? Introversion's first game hasn't been updated in....how long?

All I could ask for is the map editor at this point, because that's all I can see in being a next step to 'completing' multiwinia. There might be additional powerups or a map or two, but I really can't see how Multiwinia could get much better than it is (with the Map editor). At least, in the sense of big changes like new units or new gametypes.

Return to “The Future”