Several more nutty ideas...

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Major Cooke
level4
level4

Several more nutty ideas...

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:43 pm

These ideas have been nicking and picking at my brain a bit, and I think it would be kinda cool to put these in. Here goes:

We all know how ants can pick up souls and stuff, and take them to their nests/put them into eggs. What if they could put them into spawn points as well? Because sometimes they just sit there running around in circles (whether their on your team or someone elses) with souls on their backs, they might as well be able to drop them into the spawn point like an Engineer can.

Another thing, I've been trying to find a way to make default-made trees in the map text documents to start off magical... I know you can do it with dark trees, so is there ways to spawn them as auto-magical trees that drop souls?

Edit: Also, what about an engineer upgrade crate that allows all future and current engineers to hold 50 souls instead of just 25? Like when Multiwinians become Rocketwinians.

Edit 2: One more thing, and it's a bug I noticed, after a while, harvesters will tend to forget that they are full on souls and simply won't move... Unlike engineers, they'll also stop depositing souls if there's too many multiwinians around. But they just sit there, and not deposit anymore into the spawn points instead of going to collect more or float around for a bit.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Several more nutty ideas...

Postby xander » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Major Cooke wrote:We all know how ants can pick up souls and stuff, and take them to their nests/put them into eggs. What if they could put them into spawn points as well? Because sometimes they just sit there running around in circles (whether their on your team or someone elses) with souls on their backs, they might as well be able to drop them into the spawn point like an Engineer can.

I have several objections to this idea. First off, what spawn points would ants take souls to? Most ants are on the evilinian team, so it would not make sense for them to deposit souls in a player's spawn point, and evilinian controlled spawn points are a rarer event than ants. Thus, I can't see it having any real impact in that regard. Occasionally, ants on a player team will pop out of eggs. We would probably assume that those ants would take those souls to the spawn points of that player team. However, this has the potential to be really unbalancing. They might be more vulnerable than engineers individually, but there can be a lot of them, and they can very quickly grab souls and get them to a spawn point (without having to fill up with 25 souls). Furthermore, player-team ants are a relatively rare event.

I also object on aesthetic grounds. Ants collect souls so that they can take them to their nest and create more ants. They are bugs, acting on instinct. Why would they give up a perfectly good soul and make a DG out of it? DGs are food!

Major Cooke wrote:Another thing, I've been trying to find a way to make default-made trees in the map text documents to start off magical... I know you can do it with dark trees, so is there ways to spawn them as auto-magical trees that drop souls?

This is probably something that will be addressed in the map editor that IV keeps promising.

Major Cooke wrote:Edit: Also, what about an engineer upgrade crate that allows all future and current engineers to hold 50 souls instead of just 25? Like when Multiwinians become Rocketwinians.

Honestly, I think that would be more of a downgrade than an upgrade. An engineer collects souls for a while, then returns them. While they are collecting souls, they are either out on the battlefield, vulnerable to attack, or in a magic forest. If they are out on the battlefield, I want them returning as often as possible, so that they can drop off their souls, so that when/if they die, I only lose 25 potential DGs, rather than 50. Also, I don't think that upgrades to items that can only come from crates are a good idea -- it requires that a player get the right mix of things, otherwise it is just a wasted crate. It is akin to a magical forest without an engineer or harvester, except that even magical forests burn well.

Major Cooke wrote:Edit 2: One more thing, and it's a bug I noticed, after a while, harvesters will tend to forget that they are full on souls and simply won't move... Unlike engineers, they'll also stop depositing souls if there's too many multiwinians around. But they just sit there, and not deposit anymore into the spawn points instead of going to collect more or float around for a bit.

I have not noticed that behaviour, but I will keep an eye out for it.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:05 pm

Eh well, just a few ideas anyway. I figured that team-colored ants would be nice incase if that team doesnt have any engineers around, though the ants would be limited to delivering the souls to the area where their born, i.e. they can't travel all the way to the spawn point, just like they can't traverse half the map to drop off to an egg.

But if anything, another nice idea would be the ability to "combine" the engineers instead, with a powerup so that not all of them will be 50, and all future ones will still be 25. It would be a nice idea if souls could linger a bit longer, as they go up way too fast at times.

And another thing, I think Multiwinians should be allowed to run through the trunks of the trees, because at times the multiwinians can get tangled up so deeply in magical forests, they can't get to a crate or around a specific object...

Another bug: On some maps, if you terminate unspawned/spawned powerups, sometimes it either reaches over and destroyed the current online powerup in the task bar to it's left, or kills an officer.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:31 pm

Major Cooke wrote:Another bug: On some maps, if you terminate unspawned/spawned powerups, sometimes it either reaches over and destroyed the current online powerup in the task bar to it's left, or kills an officer.

Is that an idea, or a bug that's happened to you? I don't think I've had that happen to me.
If it's a bug, post it in the troubleshooting forum.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:24 pm

I doubt it's happened to anyone else... But I don't know for sure. :roll:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Major Cooke wrote:EAnother bug: On some maps, if you terminate unspawned/spawned powerups, sometimes it either reaches over and destroyed the current online powerup in the task bar to it's left, or kills an officer.

1. Bug reports belong in the troubleshooting section.
  2. I have never seen this happen. I have seen things like this happen. For instance, I might have three power-ups, and intend to destroy the second one. So, I will hit [2], then [c]. Then the third power-up is destroyed. Oops -- I hit [3], not [2]. My own damn fault. The same thing could happen if you were using [TAB], and don't hit it enough times, or if you hit it too many times.

xander
tnosrac
level0

Postby tnosrac » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 am

Major Cooke wrote:Another bug: On some maps, if you terminate unspawned/spawned powerups, sometimes it either reaches over and destroyed the current online powerup in the task bar to it's left, or kills an officer.

I've seen this many times. Like when I go to get rid of an unwanted something, and end up terminating a very much wanted armor or harvester. It can be stopped, by selecting some normal multiwinians first, before you delete something.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:33 pm

tnosrac wrote:

I've seen this many times. Like when I go to get rid of an unwanted something, and end up terminating a very much wanted armor or harvester. It can be stopped, by selecting some normal multiwinians first, before you delete something.

Mmm, good idea. I'll give it a shot.

Return to “The Future”