Assault - and then then teams switch places!

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

spacebug
level1
level1

Assault - and then then teams switch places!

Postby spacebug » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:35 pm

I think assault mode would be far better if it worked as the manual says - one team defends until the attacker beats them and then the teams switch round and it goes the other way. Winner is the team who assaults fastest.

I suppose there would also have to be a time limit in case one attacker just continually failed, but I would suggest it to be a good long time.

My reasons for this suggestion are:

If you have two players who aren't that good at assault, it would still give them a chance to win. As it is, the time limit of ten minutes sets a skill level, and if you're attacking and aren't at that skill level then you will just fail. With more time to assault, there is still a chance for a poor player to win. (Maps like Dog Green Sector, I think a dreadful player defending against a poor player, the dreadful player can probably win just by sitting his guys behind the turrets. With a switching of teams, the dreadful player has to do some work too)

It's easier and more boring to defend. I always want to play as the attacker. I would like an incentive to play as the defender!

I have never seen a multiplayer assault game to join, and have only once found someone else who joined and played through a game of assault with me. I see assault as it stands as a mode I can only play single player.

I have seen the problem with my suggestion - there are two 3-player maps with two attackers and one defender. The solution to this would be to have everyone take a turn as the defender. Add the attack times of each person's two attack turns together and the person with the lowest wins. Of course then the 3 player games would be longer, but I think taking turns attacking with two different allies would make it interesting enough that this wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Also perhaps have the team switching as an option so people could still choose to play with the current rules if they prefer.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:08 am

Reminds me of Tribes 2 assault gameplay. That would be nice. Choose which side you want to start out first, then after a certain amount of time, switch over. Good idea.rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:05 pm

It's a good suggestion and would certainly make life interesting, but I'd argue the claim that it's easy to defend. Once the Attacker knows their stuff it's actually very hard to keep them out; turrets can be taken out or taken over with a little finesse (Armours and crates help of course), and the Attackers always have constant reinforcements while the Defenders often don't. I'm really enjoying Assault at the moment because it can go right to the wire and feel great when you win, and it rewards good attacker strategies and adaption.
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
spacebug
level1
level1

Postby spacebug » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:20 am

True. Of course I usually play against the AI, and they're really quite bad at attacking!
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:21 pm

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before.

I am completely in favor of this.

The only problem I see are the longer 3 player maps. Would get boring to have to do it three times, I think.

Return to “The Future”