> Tunnel digging(?)
> Barrier, bridge constructions(?)
> faster mouse selection
> increase winia's speed just a litle bit
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:42 pm

Team chat is available on Dedwinia servers.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Re: some ideas

Postby Major Cooke » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:59 pm

myr wrote: increase winia's speed just a litle bit

To increase their speeds, just modify the stats.txt by extracting it from the main.dat... just open it with winRAR used as the default program to open .dat files. Make sure its in your multiwinia/data folder in order for it to work.

NOTE: In order to play multiwinia, you will need to rename or delete your stats.txt, as this is for singleplayer ONLY. You cannot play multiplayer with modified stats, unless the other server hoster has them too!
Last edited by Major Cooke on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Re: some ideas

Postby xander » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:06 pm

Major Cooke wrote:
myr wrote: increase winia's speed just a litle bit

To increase their speeds, just modify the stats.txt by extracting it from the main.dat... just open it with winRAR used as the default program to open .dat files. Make sure its in your multiwinia/data folder in order for it to work.

You keep suggesting that to people, but what you don't seem to get is that it is a bad idea. If you modify your stats.txt, then you will no longer be able to play games against other people, as you will almost immediately fall out of sync. Your solution only works if a person wants to play single player games and nothing more. Stop advising people to alter stats.txt.

xander
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:21 pm

No need to scream here, I think it's quite obvious that it won't work online, because it would give either an unfair disadvantage or an unexpected change in gameplay.

So besides that, it's a neat thing to know if you want a quicker experience in single-player.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:36 am

Cyan. wrote:No need to scream here, I think it's quite obvious that it won't work online, because it would give either an unfair disadvantage or an unexpected change in gameplay.

So besides that, it's a neat thing to know if you want a quicker experience in single-player.

This is the third or fourth time that he has suggested the idea. And while it might be obvious to your or me that it won't work in online play, it it not necessarily going to be obvious to a newb.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:24 am

As long as they dont modify the original .dat files and keep them in the data folder, they can always override/delete the original to get back to normal gameplay.

Seriously, since I'm with Cyan, don't get your nickers in a twist xander... Chill. Drink a soda or a beer... whatever it does, chill...

Also, the reason why I posted that, was because he wanted to know how to speed his darwinians up. So I told him, to show him it's possible to change the speeds of his darwinians. Geez.

Don't blame me for trying to make someone happy for an SP game. :P
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:29 am

Major Cooke wrote:Don't blame me for trying to make someone happy for an SP game. :P
Then don't advertise the 'fix' without pointing out what it actually does. You're just getting people to break their games and it's irresponsible.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:11 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:
Major Cooke wrote:Don't blame me for trying to make someone happy for an SP game. :P
Then don't advertise the 'fix' without pointing out what it actually does. You're just getting people to break their games and it's irresponsible.

What Mas said. You are providing directions that a newb could follow, but are not explaining the problems it will cause, not describing how to solve the problem, nor explaining that multiplayer will be broken. You are making it sound like changing your stats.txt file will make your DGs faster, and that this effect will occur in multiplayer, as well. What is a newb supposed to think when they start syncing out? Stop advising people to break their clients without telling them how to put the pieces back together again.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:48 pm

What, to delete their stats.txt? It's pretty obvious that if something is stored in a .dat or a .pak or w/e the game uses, those who do tinker with it should know that all the originals are there, and they would just delete the modified external files...
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Personally I don't understand a thing about what Cooke is saying, but I think that anyone that knows how to do this, also knows how to change it back.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:49 pm

Anyone who can work out how to do it can work out how to change it back. Telling them how to do it skips this entirely.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:20 pm

Major Cooke wrote:What, to delete their stats.txt? It's pretty obvious that if something is stored in a .dat or a .pak or w/e the game uses, those who do tinker with it should know that all the originals are there, and they would just delete the modified external files...

Here is a scenario: I am a newb. I know nothing of .dat files. I read a comment on the boards that indicates that I can do something called "unraring" a .dat file, and pull out another file called "stats.txt." If I edit this file, and put it in the right place, my DGs will move faster. So, I follow the directions, and do this. I play a few single player games, and am enjoying the speed boost. A week or so later, I decide to play a multiplayer game, and I immediately fall out of sync. I try again, and it happens again. It keeps happening, so I post an angry message to the forums. Because I don't know that changing the file caused the problem (and I might not even remember that I changed the file), I neglect to post that information. Several days and posts later, we finally figure it out, and I delete the file.

In that scenario, you have caused frustration for the poor newb, as well as everyone trying to help that poor newb. All of this frustration could have been prevented if the instructions for changing stats.txt were either not posted at all, or posted with complete disclosure, i.e. "This will fuck up your multiplayer games." To not explain those details is irresponsible.

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Okay, first post edited.

Return to “The Future”