Linux version ?

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

If Introversion releases Multiwinia for GNU/Linux I will BUY it !

Poll ended at Mon May 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Yes
44%
No
33%
I bought DEFCON for Linux !
22%

Total votes: 18
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:56 am

prophile wrote:GNU/Linux is a bullshit term. Calling it Linux is fine, or Debian or Gentoo or a distro is fine, but GNU/Linux is Stallman being a whiney little bitch and his zealots drinking his bullshit.

But, but, but it's a kernel! Not an OS! Netbooks are made by Psion! Many "o"s are followed by "u"s!
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:09 pm

Well, I thought the post was quite obviously sarcastic :?

This being the internets, I suppose that's not always clear. Anyway, Pox has found a new topic to argue about, quick!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:18 am

Right :) Linux would be nothing without the GNU stuff. Calling it GNU/Linux is just fair. Or maybe Linux/GNU. Or GNL (Gnu's Not Linux). Or Gnulix.

Eruaran: get over it already. I think we as a whole showed an allergic reaction to your appearance of a pushy penguin fanboy, which you may not be after all. Try talking about something else for a change, I'm sure it'll help.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:06 pm

The first paragraph was in response to Marvin, Pox and prophile. The second bit was for you. Let me elaborate: despite your constant claims otherwise, your appearance here pretty much is that of a Linux lunatic/zealot/fanboy. One that easily takes things personally. What we are attacking is not you, but this image, because fanboys of all colours are annoying. If that image does not really describe you, you have no reason to be offended, and instead of rotating around yourself and responding to each and every critique, you should just move on.
One
level0

Try wine

Postby One » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:11 am

I have been playing Multiwinia on Ubuntu 8.10 for a few days now and it works fine.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=15586
Riao
level0

Postby Riao » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:44 am

Okay, at the risk of a swam of "be paitient, it's coming", "why are you bothering to bump this thread", "don't be a Linux fanboy" etc...

Any news of a Linux port? Or is that just being swept under the rug now?

Incidentally, I bought this on Steam but would gladly pay the price again to buy it from here if I could get a Linux version. I'd give the Steam version to my brother. :D
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:50 am

Well good news kiddo, a famous turtle is going to make you a Linux version, can't tell you anymore then that.... nor really.. can't....;p

Other then that, wanna play a few games with me?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:21 am

Actually, someone else is working on Linux :) But there are limitations. There is no way to make anything built from the distributed sources compatible with the retail versions. Linux players will be on an island.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:23 pm

Why not? And how does the Mac version do it?
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:43 pm

prophile wrote:rage

What a tit. :D

(I was right, though!)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:59 pm

NeatNit wrote:Why not? And how does the Mac version do it?
Network code bits crucial for compatibility are missing from the sources we got. The Mac build is unaffected because it's done by someone who has those bits.
Riao
level0

Postby Riao » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
NeatNit wrote:Why not? And how does the Mac version do it?
Network code bits crucial for compatibility are missing from the sources we got. The Mac build is unaffected because it's done by someone who has those bits.

Forgive my ignorance.. new here.. :oops:

So, bert_the_turtle, you, or I gather people you know, are making the port.. but from what I'm getting you have nothing to do with Inroversion? I guess what I'm really asking is "how difficult is it to get 'those bits'"?

And, as I said I got this from Steam initially. By the sounds of things if I did actually want to play this on my linux PC I'd have to buy it again (which I already said I would do)?

And, uh, is there a time-frame here? Sorry for all the questions. :)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:32 pm

The bits that are missing are designed to be hard to figure out. I do have them, I think, for Dedwinia, and it's not outside the realm of possibility to somehow merge it all together in some way (for example, Dedwinia could be taught to be a bridge between the official Mac and Windows builds and a community provided Linux port), but the network protocol compatibility is only the very first obstacle for compatibility: you also have to make sure the simulations don't desync (more often than they already do). So no, definitely no timeframe on that.

And no, it's not me working on a Linux port. Like, not at all. At least, for now.

But you likely wouldn't have to buy it again. Steam keys could work on Linux as well, they also work on the regular retail Windows version (I think). Whether they will work is not a technical decision.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:16 pm

about dedwinia, any possibility you get your servers back-up, or those of Neo? Cause know it's all jelco's and I can't play those :( plus the fact that I got normal connection issues...
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:01 am

that's very generous of you, but really no need for such favors if you don't feel like it.

Return to “The Future”