Linux version ?

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

If Introversion releases Multiwinia for GNU/Linux I will BUY it !

Poll ended at Mon May 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Yes
44%
No
33%
I bought DEFCON for Linux !
22%

Total votes: 18
desiv
level0

Postby desiv » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:04 am

bert_the_turtle wrote: There is no way to make anything built from the distributed sources compatible with the retail versions. Linux players will be on an island.

What kind of silliness (Note, I didn't say BS.. :^) is that..
They are packets on a wire that the developer has total control over.
If my Linux server can pretend to be a Windows Domain Controller, then a Linux client can participate with a Windows client..

Especially if they have the network game protocol documented...
And if they don't, it can be reverse engineered (but MUCH harder), but if they don't.. ?????
How could Introversion claim to be supporting Linux and not provide the source?? They can't..
My guess is that, if they are interested in a Linux port, the source was included. If the source is included, it is possible...

Now, if the developer chooses not to do that, so be it.. But it's silly to say there is "no way."

As for me, I have purchased the other Introversion games and run them on Linux.
Considering the time lag, and the fact that an online game has a "sweet spot" timewise where there are lots of players online, and as time goes on, there are fewer and fewer players...

Well, I think that even if a Linux native version were released at this stage, I doubt I'd buy it..

That's just me.. Single player, no problem.. Multiplayer.. nope..

And yes, it runs in WINE and I could have done that.. I could run a lot of things in WINE. I choose not to do so...

We were told 2 years ago to stop bugging and it would be out eventually..

Oh well.. I hope that when (if) it's release, there's still a good market for it..

Just won't be me..

Hoping this won't be the same for Subversion, but we'll see.

In the mean time, I have purchased and enjoyed World of Goo and Machinarium, Linux native versions. Pretty fun games..

Good luck..

desiv
:cry:
Riao
level0

Humble bundle

Postby Riao » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:19 am

Well it's been a long time waiting, but it was worth it! I don't even care about my Steam purchases, I just bought the Humble Introversion bundle and now I've got Multiwinia in native Linux! And Defcon for Linux got updated too! I am STOKED! Maybe I'll give away the Steam ones...

Thanks Introversion!

Return to “The Future”