Buy PC Now or Wait for XBox Live Arcade? Voice Chat, Etc.

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Keithustus
level1
level1

Buy PC Now or Wait for XBox Live Arcade? Voice Chat, Etc.

Postby Keithustus » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:57 am

I love Introversion's games but haven't yet bought Multiwinia. I'm very excited about being able to play Multiwinia over XBox Live Arcade, especially since, just by being on that service, it will have integrated voice chat. Why wasn't voice chat an integral feature in the PC release? Has it been added yet? Steam's friend-chat is too awkward to establish voice communication when I just want to jump into a game.

One person's account of missing features seemed thorough enough (http://forums.introversion.co.uk/multiwinia/viewtopic.php?t=1783&highlight=multiwinia+voice+chat): Multiplayer lobbies with appropriate communication and rule-informing tools, in-game chat channels, voice chat, and player stats & rankings. How has the game been updated since the initial reviews were published? Or should I continue to wait for the XBLA version to address these concerns?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:16 am

Lobby chat: Try the demo. It has lobby chat by now.

Seeing the game options: DEFCON had it, so it likely will come in a future patch here, as well. You can always ask the host, of course.

Player rankings: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/multiw ... php?t=1884

Team chat: available on Dedwinia servers via "/t <secret message>"

Voice chat: I hope not. Text chat is much easier to ignore.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:34 am

I'm not going for the Xbox version when 1. I get ~50 FPS with over 6000 multiwinians in a single level, all firing at one another, counted with ants nests, and 2. Mod systems coming out.

Also, voice chat is compensated for via Ventrilo or Teamspeak (whatever it's called).

I say stick with the PC version... but that's just my opinion. Feel free to ignore.
Keithustus
level1
level1

Postby Keithustus » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:05 am

It's hard to explain to someone how to install and connect to Roger Wilco, Teamspeak, or Ventrillo when you're in a game lobby.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:40 am

Someone who doesn't have it installed already is unlikely to be interested in voice chat.
PHREAK76
level4
level4

Postby PHREAK76 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:26 am

When does the Xbox version come out, will they be able to play with the pc users?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:54 am

The last time I saw anything approaching a date, it was "Spring 2009" (though I think this came from a Multiwinia review, so no saying how good the date is). Which, from IV, probably means Fall, 2009. On the other hand, they have a contract with Microsoft (one can assume), so maybe the deadline is a bit more hard and fast.

As to cross platform compatibility, IV has not said anything (that I know of). Though it would be a bit out of the ordinary for an XBox game to work with PC players. Probably not impossible, but I don't think that there are many such games out there.

xander
S2333
level1
level1

Postby S2333 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:31 pm

I found the PC version had easier controls when I plugged a 360 controller into my computer.
I don't think voice chat is really the make or break deal as you will just be all chatting on a main channel.

Return to “The Future”