Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:09 pm

Cooper42 wrote:
Nova Cygni wrote:
Xocrates wrote:I got to be honest here: I understand and even agree with most of your points. However having been in the beta since it started I can truthfully tell you this: Multiwinia was not designed for the "harcore" demographic. It's an instant fun game that everyone can enjoy in a 10 minute break.

If I wanted a 10 minute break I would play Peggle. Considering that this game has taken considerable time to be created by what most of us here consider to be the best game makers around at the moment, it seems a crying shame that all it amounts to is "a 10 minute break" game. And, after playing for a few weeks, you can see quite clearly that there are no "soft core" gamers playing it, we are mostly experienced players who are looking for a challenging game (just look at Cyan's post above, though his comments are valid they aren't exactly the tactics of a newcomer).
Wrong. If I want a quick blast of arcade action which tickles both my tactical thinking brain cells and my funny bone, Multiwinia is the best option.

Multiwinia is a bit like worms, a quick game accessible enough that lots of people can play, full of insane power ups and often hilarious chaos, but where better players will usually win.

Multiwinia is just right in that way, harcore competitive types might not like it because of that. Good. I say. I don;t want that type of game, I want some quick action with a bit of unpredictability thrown in (the predictability of many RTSes is what bores me with them so much.)

I went back to Defcon recently, after a year of not playing (no proper net connection) and forgot just how immensely hardcore it is. I could remember the best tactics, and just how much micromanagement it takes, but against better players, I had not a chance. I could see exactly what I should be doing, but wasn't able to, or saw it too late, and could see just how screwed I was.

That's not fun. Multiwinia is fun.

I think you're being a little bias, since you lost.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:59 pm

No, the hardcore Defconners have taken it over. I was never all that great to begin with but could generally hold my own. A couple of months out and I'm useless.

Multiwinia will always (I hope) be able to have a nice 10-minute blast. I'm terrible at it, but eventually even a moron like me can win the odd game. It's not all about knowing the right placement of units to prevent your opponent doing anything. It's the fun element. :) I like it. :mrgreen: All the multiplayer fun and games of the old Worms and Mario Kart; the random element is kept large enough to make a difference, but small enough so that the cream (or other substances which do similarly) will generally rise to the top.

Multiwinia - the new Worms. All we need now is a crate with a sheep in. Or just a sheep statue.

Return to “The Future”