Invisibility, artillery and hardcore

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Cyan.
level3
level3

Invisibility, artillery and hardcore

Postby Cyan. » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:58 pm

As a power-up it might be fun to make your troops invicible, sort like hotfeet and rage. Enemy troops do shoot at them but the enemey player won't be able to see them.

In general it seems fun if a groop of multiwinia's can built an artillery place overtime, wich can give heavy, inaccurate, fire. I am aware that this require somewhat more static warfare, and maybe there should come a new mode for this or new maps.

As about the hardcore idea I suggest that all kind of multipliers will come in play. Like MWG can get tired and will shoot less, small groops get rage when overwhelemd by a larger grooup. Formations will be more powerfull, but weaker at the sides, in other words the difference between formations and individual will be greater, etc. etc. anything you can think of to make it more realisticin terms of human warfare.

Let me know what you think.

Cyan
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:24 pm

That doesn't seem like a good tactic to me. Most power ups last what 60 seconds? It would only be a matter of time before the power up ended and the enemy would see your MW's. And if the enemy can shoot at them then that gives a very big notice to your opponent because he can at least guess where you are.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by artillery. If you meant something like cannons or mortars it wouldn't be too bad of an idea. But meh...

your proposal of hardcore mode is a pretty useless idea. It doesn't fit this game at all. Sounds like something that would be in a RPG game. Even if small groups get Rage when encountered by a larger group they will still get decimated. And formations are already pretty weak at the sides. The fatigue that causes MWs to move slow and shoot less is also a bad idea. I could see balance issues with that..

I really don't like the hardcore idea at all.

edit: removed some negative comments and elaborated a little more on his hardcore mode idea.
Last edited by allen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:47 pm

haha :lol: ,well it doesn't sound like your best day but hey, happens.

first of all invicibility will be of great use, you can move close without notice with a large groiup and when attacking individual mwg the enemy might not notice.

Second artillery that's exactly what I mean.

Third with hardcore I mean that the game will be made realistic compraed to human warfare, so that you have to think about what you do and the affects it has.

Last, I don't mind to be flamed but an edit to your post to give me atleast one usefull comment would be nice, thanks :wink: .
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:08 pm

Cyan. wrote:Third with hardcore I mean that the game will be made realistic compraed to human warfare, so that you have to think about what you do and the affects it has.

Soooo.... you want warfare set inside a huge computer where the troops are digital stick men that shoot lasers out of their chest to realistically emulate human warfare?

That is so wrong is so many different ways :roll:

As a side note, please start to spell invisibility correctly, I can never understand if you mean invisible or invincible.
immortalnights
level1
level1

Postby immortalnights » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:15 pm

I like the idea of invisibility, would make fort interesting appearances of Multiwinians.

It would be nice if there where something to build in game. Like the Darwinia level that you have to make the Armours. Another game mode maybe for the more resource/builders of us, but not something that should be thrown into all game types. An artillery would suit Assault in some manner, but the others I don't think so.

The "hardcore" things you mention I tend to agree there wouldn't be too much point in them. Giving them stats, like tiredness and the like may enhance some aspects, but it would dilute the game play.

(As for Allen; there is much nicer ways to reflect your views on other peoples ideas, you reply was just uncalled for)
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:31 am

Invisibility isn't an awful idea, but I dislike that the enemy can detect the invisible Multiwinians. At first you saw the enemy wont notice the invisible MWs but then you say "might not" notice inyour recent post so I'm not sure what you mean. In all honestly armors do the job of sneaking up on your enemy pretty well anyways. It's all about timing really, sometimes your enemy doesn't even notice it, happened to me last night and it caused me to lose. It's easy to get distracted. But like I said, the artillery idea isn't bad, but I'm not sure if you want it destructible or not. Even if it was destructible artillery would be a little too overpowered in assault. Blitz or KOTH would be alright though.. I suppose.

I will stand by my words about your hardcore mode. It does not fit in Multiwinia and it's a waste of time to give Rage to a small group vs a large group. I've tried it long ago and it is a waste of Rage and it does not cause any significant damage. Get tired and shoot less? I just really don't get that at all...
immortalnights
level1
level1

Postby immortalnights » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:16 am

[quote="allen"][/quote]

See you can do it! :P
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:42 pm

well thanks allen. My idea about invisibilty is that at first when there are no enemy mwg, the opponent won't notice the group, only when his own mwg sart shoting at nothing he might notice, but he still doesn't know how big the group will be.

About the hardcore mode I agree with all of you :wink: . So I thoughed about it twice and what I really. At first my comparison to human wafare is not because I want the mwg to have faces and all such, but because in human warfare you have to take a lot in consideration when managing your troops. But I agree that this would dilute the gameplay, so I thoughed of a mode that would fit this.
The idea is like this you and your opponent face each other in a massive battle about a territory, much like KOTH, but this time you have to completely control the zoneon the ground and there ay not be enemy mwg left in it.

_______________ = opponent

= Zone you have to control

_______________ = You

You get 2 or 3 loads of reinforcement and then you can either fight to the dead or get reinforcemets after a while. The main idea here is that every Multiwinia you use counts as one in winning the battle.
And mabe artillery would fit great in this mode too. It will gve you the oppertunity to "mold" your enemy in a certain way.

As last I think that this mode will bring variety, and I am aware of that this is not the way multiwinia meant to be, but I certainly think there would be a whole group of gamers that see a new reason t buy this game.
I hope IV will atleast think about it and abe try something

Let me know what you think.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:00 pm

Hardcore mode would change the gameplay too much, hence it wouldn't really be MW anymore. I'd suggest waiting until DoW2 comes out, and that'll probably float your boat for that aspect.

You're quite correct, Artillery would probably require static warfare, which once again isn't what Multiwinia is about. When all your units are identical, a system of static warfare degrades the game into Inevitable Meatgrinder 5.

Invisibility might work, but it doesn't seem right. By giving people the opportunity to sneak up on their enemies you're essentially adding something completely new to the gameplay. It'd unbalance the game, becuase it widens your options while reducing your opponents.

As for building things like turrets over time, all the current upgrades are too strong to give someone to guaranteed, so would require a new upgrade as well.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:09 pm

Make a blitzkrieg map without reinforcements, and you have your mode.
Jazz Ad
level1
level1

Postby Jazz Ad » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:23 pm

Invisibility would be a fantastic feature, such as to sneak troops near enemy spawn points and deliver surprise buttsecks.
Frankly, the rest of your ideas suck.
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:32 am

For his artillery, have it the player's able to spawn a Field Gun, which fires the bomber's napalm bombs, but only 1, but are highly inaccurate an can only shoot a small number of times, or you could load up multiwinians into it, which would fire a pod that when impacted with the ground, would release them..... Just brainstorming so dont get mad at me please :D

edit: your idea to build things over time is to overpowering and could create 1 invincible team in a manner of speak, but it would be could to get like a powerup that would allow you to place 3 wall sections, rotate them, and you could also get wall busters, but , of course, would be pretty hard to program :D (read above so you dont get mad at me right away)
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:17 am

haha well how the fuck did you find this topic anyway? But well now it's up again, I think we can all agree that some players do like to play this game macro- and micromanagaing everything and such, not to say that I don't enjoy how it's now. Sometimes I just like a chaotic relax 4 player, but I tend to use every possible trick there is and play it kind of like in a hardcore way, so I still say that I would like some more "hardcore features".

About invisibility well hopefully you all agree it can be usefull, otherwise let me use it against you to prove it :), maybe it's even overpowered, but still I think it's a nice idea to try.

Artillery well yeah it wouldn't really work I think, but in the form of a power-up it might be nice right? Like it has somewhat the same affect as a turret only more harmfull but it's easier to get too I think, atleast when you get close.
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:21 am

Kinda with my above ideas about the artillery? cause that'd be cool, or a power-up that made a selected multiwinian pull out a mortar and fire long range grenades, the ideas could be close to endless :D
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:22 am

Don't the subs and the airstrikes fill the role of artillary well enough? The idea is that the map is a battleground, and since artillary are built far from the frontlines, it makes no since to build them so close.

Hardcore mode is something I would try. But I think I would stick to vanilla Multiwinia. But I definatly think that such a mod is doable, and that it would be very fun to have such a mod.

Don't shields give you something close enough to invincibility?

Return to “The Future”