propose a new way of playing for demo players

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

THE_HOST_KILLER
level0

propose a new way of playing for demo players

Postby THE_HOST_KILLER » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:03 pm

Since Demo players can not play online game. I think it is not a good idea. How about we allow them to play for certain maps,(i.e. those allowed in single player mode in demo) and when comes to other maps, a 10 seconds control band is imposed at the beginning of the game to "incourage" demo players to pay.

anyone second my idea?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:16 pm

There have been several suggestions about how to change the demo, but the chance any of them are going to be taken into consideration are slim, let alone that you'll see a demo in this form one day. The demo gives a good idea of what the game offers, even if it's limited to certain game modes and maps. It's representative of the game. Ultimately, it does its job as a demo in that people who like the demo will like the game, and people who dislike the demo won't like the full game, and this gives people a good idea whether they should buy it or not.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:26 pm

Unfortunatley the fact that it's only single player means that you have to be motivated to get the demo in the first place, as opposed to the dozen friends who I convinced to play DEFCON at a get-together.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Pinky wrote:Unfortunatley the fact that it's only single player means that you have to be motivated to get the demo in the first place

I fail to see how the single-player-only part means you have to be 'motivated' to get it, whatever that means in this context. Single player is simply multiplayer versus CPU players, there is nothing whatsoever changed to the actual gameplay - no campaign, no limit on the types of powerups (or at least none I know of), just a limit on the maps and game modes you can play which (to my knowledge) is a fairly standard demo limitation.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:49 pm

At the event in question, we were looking for Multiplayer games to play. You can pass around the demo install, and play it at a LAN. Becuase of the social atmosphere, people are more likely to play it, enjoy it, and buy it.

The Multiwinia demo cannot be passed around a LAN, becuase it's single player. You actually have to have sufficient interest to download and play the demo by yourself.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Pinky wrote:At the event in question, we were looking for Multiplayer games to play. You can pass around the demo install, and play it at a LAN. Becuase of the social atmosphere, people are more likely to play it, enjoy it, and buy it.

The Multiwinia demo cannot be passed around a LAN, becuase it's single player. You actually have to have sufficient interest to download and play the demo by yourself.

This is how Defcon worked, more or less, and I get the impression that IV kind of got screwed by it. Some of the best Defcon players never actually bought the game, but play demo versions, because a demo version gives them everything they need and want. It seems logical to me that IV want to prevent that from happening again with Multiwinia.

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:34 pm

That was my impression, too. There are more restrictions on the Multiwinia demo because the Defcon demo proved to be good enough to be all some people could want.

Still, a mechanism of "guest keys" could be useful for spreading the love. Say, every owner of a key could generate a certain amount of guest keys, each valid for a finite amount of time (three keys valid for 24 hours after first use sounds about right), and give them to his friends so they could try the full game for a while. People could then have those LAN parties to show off the game. Not that I think anything like that would happen, but it is technically possible.
IronWill
level1
level1

Postby IronWill » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:06 pm

Demo is demo dude...

On Steam for 19,99$ you get Multiwinia + Darwinia ! I reviewed Darwinia tests and decided to buy the package.

Steam is a powerful business platform, and Multiwinia is worth the price you pay for it, I swear !

Asking about better demos is pointless at these prices...
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:10 pm

IronWill wrote:Demo is demo dude...

On Steam for 19,99$ you get Multiwinia + Darwinia ! I reviewed Darwinia tests and decided to buy the package.

Steam is a powerful business platform, and Multiwinia is worth the price you pay for it, I swear !

Asking about better demos is pointless at these prices...

Why does this sound like an ad to me?
IronWill
level1
level1

Postby IronWill » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:33 pm

Because I am paid by Introversion Lobby Ltd. to make you buy this game !!!!!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:01 pm

I don't believe you are trying hard enough. Perhaps you could be more like this guy?
tals
level1
level1

Postby tals » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:36 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:That was my impression, too. There are more restrictions on the Multiwinia demo because the Defcon demo proved to be good enough to be all some people could want.

Still, a mechanism of "guest keys" could be useful for spreading the love. Say, every owner of a key could generate a certain amount of guest keys, each valid for a finite amount of time (three keys valid for 24 hours after first use sounds about right), and give them to his friends so they could try the full game for a while. People could then have those LAN parties to show off the game. Not that I think anything like that would happen, but it is technically possible.

I like the guest key idea. Although i'd do it more on number of games played rather than actual time. I certainly think that now the game has been released the initial sales peak has probably been so a MP limited demo to a couple of maps (which full players can also join) would help on player numbers and also drag more people in :)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 am

It's harder for the metaserver to count the number of games a key has been used for than it is to just let it expire after some time :) And the way this is going to be handled already has been semi-announced: a future demo will have the capability to connect to LAN games hosted by an owner of the game, without other limits.
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:And the way this is going to be handled already has been semi-announced: a future demo will have the capability to connect to LAN games hosted by an owner of the game, without other limits.

Whatwhowherewhywhenwhat? 0_0
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Save Multiwinia wrote:To help you with this, we’re working on modifying the current Multiwinia demo so that demo users can join a LAN game, so long as the host owns the full game. The purpose behind this is to make it very easy for you to play against your friends who don’t yet own the game, without having to buy more copies. LAN parties in particular are great events for trying new games – take Multiwinia along and show it to people, fire up a game and invite other players to join as demo users. They’ll have a great experience, and they’ll thank you for showing them this game that they’ve either not heard of or ignored.

Return to “The Future”