Adjustable sound levels and one other thing

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

RagingLion
level1
level1

Adjustable sound levels and one other thing

Postby RagingLion » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:45 pm

Something I would really love you to integrate into Mulitwinia and all of your games for that matter is a settings option allowing you to adjust the sound level. I wanted to listen to a podcast yesterday while giving the other part of my brain and my eyes and hands something fun and interesting to do by playing Multiwinia at the same time. But even with the podcast turned up to maximum with its own separate individual volume I couldn't hear over the game sounds. I've wanted to play Darwinia before while listening to my own music before and encountering the same frustration.

Most games have that feature and I would love for your games to as well to give me that flexibility and freedom. Hopefully that kind of thing shouldn't be too hard to program and patch?

The other thing I noticed was that when you earn a squad via a crate they have the same controls as in Darwinia but I suddenly found that counter-intuitive since you need to left-click to order them to move whereas for everything else you're using right-clicks for movement orders in Multiwinia. I think that's accurate. You might want to change that.

Thanks.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Re: Adjustable sound levels and one other thing

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:32 pm

The volume thing is already in the next patch or something I think?

"Just a heads up, since there have been a lot of requests for it, a volume control has been added to the game and will be in a coming patch." - Icepick in the planned future patches thread.

RagingLion wrote:The other thing I noticed was that when you earn a squad via a crate they have the same controls as in Darwinia but I suddenly found that counter-intuitive since you need to left-click to order them to move whereas for everything else you're using right-clicks for movement orders in Multiwinia. I think that's accurate. You might want to change that.

Secondly, wrt Squads, I agree on principal, however you seem to be missing a key fact; change it to what? That's always been the issue.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:20 pm

Hmm, how about;

Code: Select all

right click             -> move
right hold + left click -> grenades
left hold               -> lasers

Just my thoughts. I find the existing ones quite usable, though admittedly a bit counter-intuitive when starting out.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:13 pm

zanzer7 wrote:Hmm, how about;

right click             -> move
left hold + right click -> grenades
left hold               -> lasers

Just my thoughts. I find the existing ones quite usable, though admittedly a bit counter-intuitive when starting out.

Fixed that for you. ;)

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:18 pm

Well, does that mean you want to change the way turrets work too?
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:30 am

The GoldFish wrote:Well, does that mean you want to change the way turrets work too?

No. I see no reason to. Use the LMB to fire (both squads and turrets), and use RMB to move (squads, engineers, officers, DGs, &c.). Every unit in the game that can move, aside from the squad, uses the RMB to move. Squads are inconsistent. zanzer7's scheme makes sense -- just flip the buttons around.

xander
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:00 pm

#normal controls
#LeftButtonPressed                 = mouse left pressed
#LeftButtonDown                    = mouse left down
#UnitPrimaryFireTarget             = mouse right pressed
#UnitSecondaryFireTarget           = mouse left down && mouse right pressed

#CRAZY ASS INVERTO-CONTROLS
LeftButtonPressed                 = mouse right pressed
LeftButtonDown                    = mouse right down
UnitPrimaryFireTarget             = mouse left pressed
UnitSecondaryFireTarget           = mouse right down && mouse left pressed

Copy paste into a keyboards file, tada. I don't think there's any other issues with this since squads are the only units who use these controls. Also turns out turrets use both lmb and rmb to fire. This might break them to only use one button, I have no idea, but I don't actually want this. EXPLORE!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:43 pm

But that would flip around the way that all units function. Right now, squads are the only mobile unit that moves with a left-click. That seems unintuitive to me, no? Every other unit that can move moves with a right click. Why doesn't it make sense to have squads move with a right click, like every other unit, and fire with a left click? And what do turrets even have to do with it?

xander
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:03 pm

xander wrote:But that would flip around the way that all units function. Right now, squads are the only mobile unit that moves with a left-click. That seems unintuitive to me, no? Every other unit that can move moves with a right click. Why doesn't it make sense to have squads move with a right click, like every other unit, and fire with a left click? And what do turrets even have to do with it?

xander

I don't think there's any other issues with this since squads are the only units who use these controls.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Re: Adjustable sound levels and one other thing

Postby NeatNit » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:23 pm

RagingLion wrote:Something I would really love you to integrate into Mulitwinia and all of your games for that matter is a settings option allowing you to adjust the sound level. I wanted to listen to a podcast yesterday while giving the other part of my brain and my eyes and hands something fun and interesting to do by playing Multiwinia at the same time. But even with the podcast turned up to maximum with its own separate individual volume I couldn't hear over the game sounds. I've wanted to play Darwinia before while listening to my own music before and encountering the same frustration.
Icepick has already confirmed it for the next version.
Last edited by NeatNit on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:52 pm

Quick, edit that post to say "Icepick has already confirmed it for the next version."
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:55 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Quick, edit that post to say "Icepick has already confirmed it for the next version."
=)

Return to “The Future”