Future idea for all IV games

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Bas
level2
level2

Future idea for all IV games

Postby Bas » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:57 am

Completely change the network code so that people with more restrictive ISP bound routers can play as well. Considering I can play and connect just fine to just about any server in every other game I've ever played, I can safely state it's IV's shitty network code that's causing problems.
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:15 am

How about telling us what router, what ISP and what error messages (if any) you have, and what country you are in, so that someone might be able to help you?

Sometimes networking requires a bit of configuration, which usually only needs to be done once.

Just because other games connect doesn't mean that it's IV's fault - after all you can only connect to "just about" all servers, and you don't play every single online game ever written. Maybe you have been lucky with your network setup so far?

Anyway, give us some details and we'll have a think. Call anything made by IV "shitty" and a lot of people here will get defensive before they get supportive (as with so many forums).
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:26 am

Have you tried forwarding ports or anything? IV's netcode attempts to punch holes in firewalls for the UDP ports, but doesn't always succeed... I highly doubt that there is no way to get the game working with your router.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:37 am

Knowing the workings of the network code a bit, I can say it's definitely not shitty. It's doing everything that is possible to connect two players that are both behind NAT routers. The reason you are experiencing problems is unlikely to be found in the code. It's rather that other games have real servers running on special hosting services designed to have people connect to them. Most games visible today in the Multiwinia server browser are running on personal machines in configurations designed NOT to let anyone connect. Furthermore, there is a filter at work that lets you see those games you cannot connect to: Those games that people can connect to disappear from the list quickly, because people connect to it :)

So yeah. Details, and we may be able to help (or at least pinpoint the problem).
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:01 pm

The fact I can't get TF2 hosting working on my connection but Multiwinia works a treat suggest they've done a bloody brilliant job, actually.

I'd learn to set up your network correctly before complaining that a game's code is at fault. The problem may be closer to 10.0.0.1.

Return to “The Future”