A new mode - Team Defence

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Would you play a Defence Co-Op Mode, if IV added it?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 23
Aegis Tyra
level1
level1

A new mode - Team Defence

Postby Aegis Tyra » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Basically, whilst playing an MP game last night, a shitload of Evilwinians spawned, took 3 spawn points in quick succession, and myself and the two living players and retributor were forced to band together and take a spawn point each, using everything we had, before we could return to the game at hand. And it got me thinking - how about a fully co-op mode, two to four players working together on the Assault maps (and new ones, natch) to hold off an un-ending horde of Evilwinians and Virii, with the same objective as in Assault - hold the fort until the WMD is prepped... but then I got thinking, that the WMD was kinda boring - it just flattens teh enemy with no real player input.
So instead, how about defending a Tank and/or a Tripod factory/spawner, that release a certain number of heavy vehicles after 10-15 minutes, enabling the player defenders to sweep onwards, and take the fight to the Evilwnians? That way, as well as teh frantic defence that all of us who've desperately held out at the line in the sand in Assault know and love, you get the glorious triumph of lines of MWGs marching into glorious battle, with tripods and tanks carving holes in the hordes, to glorious victory.
Thoughts?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:09 pm

I'm actually working on a map right now that pits 3 cooperative attackers vs a defence force of evilinians, just to see how well it works (or doesn't).

I do like quite a few of your ideas, though. I'm much more interested in coop gametypes than I have direct pvp.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
lorant
level1
level1

Postby lorant » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:34 pm

Agreed. I'd love to see more cooperative possibilities in multiwinia. Especially, maps were all players fight against evilinians would be awesome. I think almost everything is already in place for this, with a few exceptions (e.g. trunk ports, or scoring).

This would also fit well into the plot line: after years of war, the MG finally unite against a greater threat. (or the pessimist version: war against evilinians was just the beginning of dissension).

Also, your idea of a two phase defence/attack mode sounds really great.
mikkelet
level1
level1

Postby mikkelet » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:54 pm

Good idea:)
but maybe a little too much assault :/ What you've come up with is kind of 2 players vs 2 CPUs..
IGN: (MW)MeTTeR
Steam name: <[H.I.T]> MeTTeR
got steam? love multiwinia?
join The Winians!
a steam group for all who lovs MW.
search on steam for THE WINIANS !!
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:24 pm

The GoldFish wrote:I'm actually working on a map right now that pits 3 cooperative attackers vs a defence force of evilinians, just to see how well it works (or doesn't).

I do like quite a few of your ideas, though. I'm much more interested in coop gametypes than I have direct pvp.

Share with the rest of the class! :P I'm probly just going to wait till they release the map editor.

I'd love to make some map like "The day Darwinia stop Downloading" With a huge 4p map co-op vs a horde of futurewinians and a ship or two flying around.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:26 pm

Well, the story line I'm working with is "Revenge is a dish best served flat" - team red vs team evil, paying them back for being viral bastards.

Here's a screenshot of how things are coming, which SEEM to be ok so far... remember that this is still a work in progress.

Bear in mind that it may all go horribly wrong. Vets of Darwinia should realise that this is biosphere, so really it's a case of, I'll let everyone know how this goes...
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:29 pm

I see a WMD in there... Tis' bad if the virus got their hands on that.
lorant
level1
level1

Postby lorant » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:39 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Here's a screenshot of how things are coming, which SEEM to be ok so far... remember that this is still a work in progress.

I see there's a TrunkPort in the evilians team... Does it work? I tried to convert an existing assault map into a "defence against evil", but the trunk ports refused to spawn any evilinians (only instant unit evilinians appeared). Is there something I missed?
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:42 pm

How do you get your land so flat... whenever i use the Darwinia editor every seed i find is so jaged and not many of the nose changes i make seem to get it to go flatter.

Ahh right, biosphere. I'll just load that up and look at the settings.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Trunkport reinforcements only work for evilinians if they're treated as a playable side, rather than world spawn. So as such, for my level, no, the trunk port doesn't work seem to work for reinforcements. Fortunately I plan to use some of the spawn points as well as triffids to suppliment the evilinian defence force.
PegasusJF
level1
level1

Postby PegasusJF » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:14 pm

I give this idea my full support.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:25 pm

The GoldFish wrote:...triffids...

TGF? Triffids? Oh, G-d, no!

/me has flashbacks to Stricken Souls.

xander
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:49 pm

Yes... that was bad.

But it looks like the map is coming along nicely. I look forward to playing it upon completion. :)

Shwart!!
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:02 pm

TGF's map looks awesome
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:03 pm

rotating stop motion foamwinian? Your not going to start stop-motion fights between your foamwinian tribes are you?

Return to “The Future”