Pitch your Power-up idea!

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:11 pm

martin wrote:...about 50% of people loved it, the other 50% hated it with a passion...

Don't you think you are being a bit generous there? :P

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:59 pm

not really, some people really did like it. Anyway my point was that a large percentage hated it, if it was a bigger percentage then that just reinforces my point :P
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:28 am

martin wrote:not really, some people really did like it. Anyway my point was that a large percentage hated it, if it was a bigger percentage then that just reinforces my point :P

That was exactly my point. By assuming that as many as 50% of players enjoyed it, I think you were being a bit generous.

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:13 am

xander wrote:
martin wrote:not really, some people really did like it. Anyway my point was that a large percentage hated it, if it was a bigger percentage then that just reinforces my point :P

That was exactly my point. By assuming that as many as 50% of players enjoyed it, I think you were being a bit generous.

xander

I know exactly what your point was, and I was saying I disagreed. However whichever of us is correct enough people hate this that it's a bad idea.

As for the other idea, I don't really like it, I don't think there would be enough motivation to fight for crates if everyone got the powerup :P
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
moth
level1
level1

Postby moth » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 pm

martin wrote:As for the other idea, I don't really like it, I don't think there would be enough motivation to fight for crates if everyone got the powerup :P

The effect crates would probably help the person who opened them - while they have to suffer the effect, they also get to choose how or when best to use the effect as powerup. Also crates add some randomness - the powerup might be of more use to you than your opponent - and it is worth gambling if you are loosing.

Yes - people would hesitate to open crates, but this mode is intended mostly as a less boring alternative to 0 crates.

moth
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:44 am

Nuclear Airstrike
Self-explanatory really, but for those who are obvious-impaired, it takes the air strike aircrafts and equips them with the nuclear barrage missiles. Sounds pretty simple enough for me.

Just as rare as picking up a submarine nuke itself.
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:34 am

I saw a post talking about the strength of the power ups pretty much negates the "caution" concerning negative/bad crates. And I tend to agree. When playing I don't hesitate to fight over a crate and I don't even remotely think about the possible bad outcome. All because the power-ups available make you super strong unless your opponent has powerups to combat yours. So not going for crates is pretty much suicide.

I think the easiest way to combat this and make people actually pause on taking crates is to up the percentage chance of a bad crate. If the odds were say 70/30 or maybe 65/35 in favor of a bad crate. I think everyone would reconsider crates. Simply, then it's a true gamble for that uber power-up that will put you over the top of your competitors. I do know that if the general consensus was that more than likely you will get a bad crate.... It would totally change the dynamics of the game.

As it stands now, yeah you can get a bad crate or two, but it's not often enough to make one even slightly pause or reconsider grabbing that crate within reach.
"Now, stop being a douche to the newbie, and run along."

xander
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:38 am

I think the easiest way to combat this and make people actually pause on taking crates is to up the percentage chance of a bad crate. If the odds were say 70/30 or maybe 65/35 in favor of a bad crate. I think everyone would reconsider crates. Simply, then it's a true gamble for that uber power-up that will put you over the top of your competitors. I do know that if the general consensus was that more than likely you will get a bad crate.... It would totally change the dynamics of the game.
Crates would be mostly disabled, due to the chances of them landing somewhere that you just *can't* leave, and the spectrum of crates' power still comes into play as a lot of the time the average usefulness of the power up doesn't justify the time spent noticing the crate. Polarising the good and bad isn't much use either, unless you REALLY want to play like that (OK, I might once in a while, because it's clearly funny for a couple of one-off games).
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:34 am

TomCat39 wrote:I saw a post talking about the strength of the power ups pretty much negates the "caution" concerning negative/bad crates. And I tend to agree. When playing I don't hesitate to fight over a crate and I don't even remotely think about the possible bad outcome. All because the power-ups available make you super strong unless your opponent has powerups to combat yours. So not going for crates is pretty much suicide.

As it stands now, yeah you can get a bad crate or two, but it's not often enough to make one even slightly pause or reconsider grabbing that crate within reach.

Which reminds me...

Here is a really good crate idea:

Crate X-ray mode:
Allows the person who opened the crate to look at other crates for 60 seconds to view the content's icon (i.e. a normal crate would have it's image replaced with a gun turret's icon until the powerup expired).

Receiving this crate more than once per five minutes gives a different powerup instead, until five minutes since the crate with the X-ray have passed. The power-up will be a good one though.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Major Cooke wrote:Crate X-ray mode:
Allows the person who opened the crate to look at other crates for 60 seconds to view the content's icon (i.e. a normal crate would have it's image replaced with a gun turret's icon until the powerup expired).

That sounds... familier...

Oh yes, because it's already been suggested. :P
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:38 pm

New game option:

Happy Holidays: The game has the graphics of the Darwinia Christmas easter egg (Couldn't resist!)

Powerups:
Reinforcement spawn: Just like einforcements, but you can place them. (Maybe a bit unbalanced)

EM blast: Kills anyone manning anything. Spawn points, solar panels, whatever! Also kills a very small percentage of multiwinians on the battlefield (in case they have pacemakers :twisted: )
Cruise missile strike: Spawns rockets a la airstrike, and they fly towards an area on the map of your choice. (May be too similar to airstrike or meteor shower, I don't know)
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:
Crates would be mostly disabled, due to the chances of them landing somewhere that you just *can't* leave, and the spectrum of crates' power still comes into play as a lot of the time the average usefulness of the power up doesn't justify the time spent noticing the crate. Polarising the good and bad isn't much use either, unless you REALLY want to play like that (OK, I might once in a while, because it's clearly funny for a couple of one-off games).

I guess if this were done you'd have to change the multiwinian commands to effect even those that are working on opening the crate. A forced ignore as it were. "Get over here! Leave that box alone!" :)

xander
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:43 pm

RabidZombie wrote:
Major Cooke wrote:Crate X-ray mode:

That sounds... familier...

Oh yes, because it's already been suggested. :P

Well I'm not gonna bother going back through ten pages just to see if it's been suggested now, would I? XP
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:29 pm

Yeah a "Search" and select in posts, not just titles. and it woulda shown you the posts in the 10 pages of thread that has that term "xray"...

TomCat39 is "search"'s friend

xander
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:12 pm

hay, guyz! im 2 lazy 2 chek if sum1 alredy said dis, but i think there should b a xray crate! what do u think?

xander

Return to “The Future”