Pitch your Power-up idea!

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Icepick
level5
level5

Pitch your Power-up idea!

Postby Icepick » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:59 pm

So, the game is out and by this point I imagine you've seen a good chunk (if not all) of the power-ups that can come out of a crate, both good and bad.
Now I'm interested in what ideas you guys come up with for power-ups! For example, I just had an idea for a bad crate which would cause the crate and all other crates currently on the map to explode in a suitably horrible fashion.

This is just for fun at the minute - we aren't actively looking for new things to add into crates. That said, if there are some really good ideas, it's certainly possible that some new crates might turn up in a patch!

So. Go!
Last edited by Icepick on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:05 am

Since there is a Defcon inspired crate, I think an Uplink inspired crate is in order.

I would suggest a "hacker" crate that, for a limited time, disrupts the commands given to DGs in a certain area. This would mean that the DGs would either ignore the command given, do something else (wander in a different direction, break formation, ignore officers, etc.), or even allow the player who used it to temporarily take control of the enemy units.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:46 am

Maybe water? To adverse the affect of fire, drown DW's or flood special forests.
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:25 am

Some of these may be impossible to do within the game as it is, but I think putting it out there doesn't hurt.

---------
Legend
---------
(b)= bad crate
(g)= good crate

Tornado (b) - Player has no control over it and it would sweep up in a Multiwinians and have them fall to their death. (not very likely to ever happen)

Earthquake (b) - Not much to describe here, but lots of shaking and cracking in the ground with Multiwinians falling down. (not very likely to ever happen as well)

Growth (g) - Creates one huge Multiwinian that crushes the other team while it marches on. (Mario mushroom esque)

Construction (g) - Gives player ability to place a small destructible barrier and/or several.

Extinguisher (g) - Puts out fire (referring to sfericz's idea)

Anti-Air Turret (g) - Destroys anything in the air such as nukes, meteors, etc.
Last edited by cheesemoo0 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:39 am

Temp spawn: A small automatic (don't need to put any MW on it before it works) spawn point that lasts for forty seconds and can not be captured by the enemy.

Fake crate: You can drop a crate any were you want and it has a 99% chance to be very bad (drop in enemys base they open it and then they get plagued etc.)

Gambler: much along the lines of fake crate but there are two-three and they all have a 25-75 percent chance of being very very bad and if they are good they can't give any thing very very good (like a nuke or a ant hill).

Paradrop: Drops down a random number (5-35) WM to any point on the map of your choseing.

If any of the above crate things are already used sorry about that I haven't played that much of the game (I really want to buy it but I'm haveing troubles with geting my parents to let me get it off steam but I played quit a bit of the demo) I just said all the things that came to my mind that sounded any good.
[insert outrageously funny/insightful comment here]
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:48 am

Defection: All the MWs that picked up the crate change to a different random (player?) team.

Freeze: Only the MWs that picked up the crate can act for the next 15 seconds.

Crate A/Crate B Firewall: The line drawn between where the two crates were picked up bursts into flames. (Cue the sync errors :P)

Vacuum Armour: Sucks up MWs around them and spits out souls. Constantly. Indiscriminately. Appears where the crate was picked up, and might be under your control.

Chain Lightning: Electricity jumps out from affected MWs into nearby MWs. Electricity jumps out from those MWs into nearby MWs. And so on. Apart from the ones Chain Lightning originally affected, they explode.

Quarantine: Sets up a barrier around a small area. (Not that we don't already have enough things to throw largely at spawn points)

Chaotic Spawn: All spawn points spawn the wrong MWs.

Shut down: Spawns stop working briefly. Possibly with the text "X has seen fit to suppress our reproductive cycle!"
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:09 am

GOOD:

Zombie Plan = Transforms a selectable certain amount of Darwinians into Evilwinians.

Transmutate = Transforms a selected amount of Darwinians into Virii.

Aperture contraption = Area select Multiniains to move them instantly from one destination to the next. The longer the distance, the more likely it is that they'll end up on fire/zombied/Futurewinians. This works on crates also, to steal them (but they may disappear / explode on arrival, the longer the distance. Works on statues, but they might break).

Resurrection = Transforms an area of souls back into Darwinians instantaneously.

Precision Nuclear weapon = 1 Defcon bomber flies overhead and drops a single nuke. Very fast, and if timed right it can hit flying objects (including the Futurewinian UFO)

Flaming arrows = Selected Darwinians now have a fire effect added to their lasers, making combat in forests very dangerous.

Null program = Cancels the effect on any group of Darwinians in the selected area.

BAD:

Napalm crate = Opens and incinerates anything in the immediate vicinity.

Weatherman = Weather effect, either place-able or happens then and there. This includes Tornadoes (Melting Pot) and a bolt of lightning (scorched earth)

Explosive = Crate explodes. Simple as that.

Fake crate = Drops something from the sky that turns out to be...nothing. Or explodes. Either way, there's a taunt inside the box for anyone opening it.

WMD = Effect is similar to the assault bomb: Makes enemy 'winians in an area simply vanish.

Anger of Sepulveda = Fires a bolt from the heavens that can destroy a statue, gun turret, anthill, or crate instantaneously with explosive effects. If landed in a forest, will set the trees on fire.

Anti-Deification = Obliterates all statues / emplacements in play.

Clowns in the box = Box opens and unleashes three soul destroyers.

Petrification = Anything in that area immediately freezes and can no longer move. Ever. It effects only those darwinians/armors/turrets, and they can be destroyed. Darwinians frozen in a capture point are still considered to be holding it, but cannot fire back or launch grenades. Frozen Darwinians are not affected by area-effect items like plauge, but can be eaten by dark trees / egg creatures.

Nature's revenge = Transmutates any Darwinians in the area into trees.

404 Error = Prevents all powerups from happening for a set amount of time.
Last edited by Kuth on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:42 am

Icepick: You chose two points. The first one you chose makes a large spike of ice (covered in smaller spikes) shoot up flining away or impaling MW or killing buildings. It keeps going and flys up into the sky. A random amount of time later it comes back down in the general area that you chose for the second point. Takes a while to melt.

Yes I know that it would be very very cheap seeing as it would only make sense if it deystroyed what ever it came up on or fell on so it would have to have a warning (like snow or some thing) happen on the point it is coming up and the point it is going to fall near and it would take a random amount of time so that there is time to evacuate.
[insert outrageously funny/insightful comment here]
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:11 am

Feud wrote:Since there is a Defcon inspired crate, I think an Uplink inspired crate is in order.

I would suggest a "hacker" crate that, for a limited time, disrupts the commands given to DGs in a certain area. This would mean that the DGs would either ignore the command given, do something else (wander in a different direction, break formation, ignore officers, etc.), or even allow the player who used it to temporarily take control of the enemy units.

that actually sounds good and we're on about uplink, we could name that crate/power-up "Revelation"
Eating without Tabasco® Sauce is like a computer without a OS.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:19 am

I reckon an uplink inspired crate should allow you take to control over enemy turrets for a short period of time. They wouldn't fire automatically but it would allow you to manually control a turret and wipe out the Multiwinians around it. And yes revelation is an awesome name.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:23 am

Feud wrote:Since there is a Defcon inspired crate, I think an Uplink inspired crate is in order.

I agree with Feud, a nod to uplink would be cool. :)
Maybe Faith? Those who know what it is, will know what it would do. Those who don't, go play Uplink! :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:33 am

I believe that I 'suggested' a nod to Uplink a while back, and put up a topic with a mocked up screenshot. In that shot, one could use file_deleter to destroy enemy units. :P

xander
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:47 am

xander wrote:use file_deleter to destroy enemy units. :P
This. It should be able to target turrets and anthills, SDs, etc

Kuth wrote:Explosive = Crate explodes. Simple as that.
And this would be great too.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:11 am

xander, don't remember it, and I can't find it with search. :?
It's a cool idea, though.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:13 am

Having a powerup to destroy statues or other installations would be really great. Hence "Anger of Supulveda" :)

I thought about a powerup that simply made Darwinians vanish without explanation (not even souls), but I figured it wasn't much different than an air/meteor strike.

Return to “The Future”