My suggestions

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Jabe
level1
level1

My suggestions

Postby Jabe » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:23 pm

These have mostly been covered else where but this is my vote.

(Talking of which it would be great to have a voting system on this site/forum whereby we each have 100 votes to distribute amongst a list of suggestions)

o Recorded games - I'd like to see how the pros do it and I'm sure they'd like to be able to show off! (The game would be replayed with me as an observer). Some great community stuff could be done around this idea with competitions etc.
    o Observer only in multiplayer games
    o CPU vs CPU with me as an observer.
    o Players matched with players of a similar ability (determined by single player game achievements)
    o LAN only games - preferably with a single key.
    o Greater control over the types of crates and the frequency of each type (with the ability to remember your settings between games).
    o Campaign
Nimbus
level2
level2

Re: My suggestions

Postby Nimbus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:55 pm

Jabe wrote:
    o Recorded games - I'd like to see how the pros do it and I'm sure they'd like to be able to show off! (The game would be replayed with me as an observer). Some great community stuff could be done around this idea with competitions etc.

This sounds like a great idea. A game replay-type thing would be great.

Jabe wrote:

I am not sure, but I think this was taken out due to sync errors.

Jabe wrote:

Sounds good, but I don't really see a point. I suppose a screensaver-type thing.....

Jabe wrote:
    o Players matched with players of a similar ability (determined by single player game achievements)

Why not match them up according to multiplayer status... On second though, maybe there sould be a ladder for rankings.

Jabe wrote:
    o LAN only games - preferably with a single key.

That really up to IV wheter they want to put it in or not; maybe they want everyone on a LAN to pay for the full thing?

Jabe wrote:
    o Greater control over the types of crates and the frequency of each type (with the ability to remember your settings between games).

This has been discussed and is not happening. (According to the "More customisable boxes" thread.) There might be a "crate-sets" type system implmented See http://forums.introversion.co.uk/multiwinia/viewtopic.php?t=1713

Jabe wrote:
    o Campaign

Darwinia?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:07 pm

Nimbus wrote:
Jabe wrote:o Recorded games - I'd like to see how the pros do it and I'm sure they'd like to be able to show off! (The game would be replayed with me as an observer). Some great community stuff could be done around this idea with competitions etc.

This sounds like a great idea. A game replay-type thing would be great.
I can think of something for this, but I suspect I can't say what. Defcon players could probably hazard a guess.

I am not sure, but I think this was taken out due to sync errors.
Yes.

Sounds good, but I don't really see a point. I suppose a screensaver-type thing.....
Map balance? Outside of assault of course (stupid, stupid attackers).

Why not match them up according to multiplayer status... On second though, maybe there sould be a ladder for rankings.
An unofficial ladder is almost inevitable. An official one *may* come up.
Also, matching by achievements means you're only playing the Steam players and maybe the Xbox 360 players. Maybe.
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:10 pm

Also, matching by achievements means you're only playing the Steam players and maybe the Xbox 360 players. Maybe.

They could add a clientside Win loss ratio monitor in a future patch, and an auto-matcher which places you in a game according to this ratio.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:13 pm

No thanks.

Win/Loss ratio isn't a good indication of skill anyway.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:38 pm

And trying to use something similar to what is done in chess organisations will likely fall apart with 3-4 player matches.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Not completely, you could treat it slighlty differently, by splitting the rating change weight according to the number of players and/or teams.
But I agree that ratings systems are never easy to do, and even when done, they're either mostly fair but hard to understand, or super easy to understand but not that fair.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:29 pm

And overall, completely pointless, since the best way to put your skills to the test is to compete in a ladder. :P
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:33 pm

RabidZombie wrote:And overall, completely pointless, since the best way to start lots of arguments about rules is to compete in a ladder. :P

Fixed :wink:

Return to “The Future”