Page 4 of 7

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 am
by Phelanpt
Cpt_Chaos wrote:
Vergerus wrote:Any hope for replay functionality? Ability to save a replay of a match and watch it back later/share it. Very important for any tournaments and the like.

QFT

Phelanpt wrote:I think this has been said before, but this functionality in Defcon was created externally by a fan and forum member. I expect the same will be true for Multiwinia.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:55 am
by Vergerus
Phelanpt wrote:I think this has been said before, but this functionality in Defcon was created externally by a fan and forum member. I expect the same will be true for Multiwinia.


While it's certainly nice that a fan took their time to come up with a solution, it's hardly ideal. I think we would all appreciated fully integrated Introversion-supported replay functionality and not have to rely on an appropriately tech-savvy forum member to spend his spare time adding a really vital feature.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:57 am
by The GoldFish
Vergerus wrote:really vital feature.


?????

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:19 am
by xander
Vergerus wrote:...really vital feature.

Please 'splain why this is a "really vital feature"?

xander

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:23 am
by Shwart!!
Because moer people want to watch replays of themselves owning than the people who want trivial things like 'lobby-chat'.
Seriously, who wants to be able to communicate before a game? I personally couldn't care less!

Shwart!!

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:26 am
by xyzyxx
Communication before a game is already possible. After all, the game doesn't begin until each player presses the Space bar.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:28 am
by xander
Shwart!! wrote:Because moer people want to watch replays of themselves owning than the people who want trivial things like 'lobby-chat'.
Seriously, who wants to be able to communicate before a game? I personally couldn't care less!

Shwart!!

What do you have against Russian nobility? Why do you keep tossing them into deep holes? And isn't your tsar chasm about full yet?

Also, <3.

In closing, I am incredibly tired, and going to go to bed now. And I bit my tongue really hard, and it hurts. G'night!

xander

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:31 am
by Shwart!!
Good night, and I hope your tongue feels better in the morning.

Back on topic, I kinda want to see support for using teamslots 5 and 6, as that would allow for some really sweet co-op mapping.
Hardly a priority though.

Shwart!!

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:45 am
by Kuth
Yeah, two more players would be awesome. If nothing else, perhaps support for Evilwinians/Futurewininas on the map already?

Support to scroll up/down on map lists would also be nice. Even nicer if there was a way to arrange a favorites list for quick play on some servers.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:12 pm
by Vergerus
The GoldFish wrote:?????


xander wrote:Please 'splain why this is a "really vital feature"?


It's quite possible that you have no interest in that feature at all, but from my point of view it is necessary to increase the lifespan of Multiwinia. If you just want a casual game where the results are essentially meaningless and the only reason to play is for a little quick fun, that's fine. The game certainly has that already and there's nothing wrong with that. You have to accept however that Multiwinia's potential isn't being fulfilled in that situation. It would definitely increase the lifespan and player numbers if we had tournaments and/or ladders, which heavily rely upon the ability to save and submit replays. Just look at gamereplays.org. It allows us to savour our own victories, learn from our losses and learn from others. You might think that this is the domain of "proper" RTSes, but then aren't we selling a great game short?

Shwart!! wrote:Because moer people want to watch replays of themselves owning than the people who want trivial things like 'lobby-chat'.
Seriously, who wants to be able to communicate before a game? I personally couldn't care less!


This is such a nasty little piece of fallacious flamebait it's barely worth dignifying it with a reply. Some people do want to watch their own victories but there's nothing wrong with that. It's also not the only reason for a replay feature. Of course lobby chat is more important. That's why it's written in the OP. That's why IV is already working on it.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:13 pm
by The GoldFish
I don't disagree, game replays would be swell. But, with some time context, no lobby chat and no passwords etc are going to turn people off today, lack of game replays is going to turn people off tomorrow.)

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:20 pm
by Vergerus
Vergerus wrote:Of course lobby chat is more important. That's why it's written in the OP. That's why IV is already working on it.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:52 pm
by The GoldFish
That's something you've said AFTER the "really vital feature" statement and the confusion regarding the language. I would have expected something considered "really vital" would be killing the game right now, I was just explaining why we were curious wrt the phrase "really vital" - to me, really vital demands immidiete attention.

Since that's pretty much cleared up, and you obviously aren't demanding that replays need attention right now and that, as I would agree, they're a helpful feature in promoting longievity and are useful for tournaments etc. So really, I support the idea of these as much as I do modding and the editor, which obviously, I support a lot.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:35 pm
by Vergerus
The GoldFish wrote:That's something you've said AFTER the "really vital feature" statement and the confusion regarding the language. I would have expected something considered "really vital" would be killing the game right now, I was just explaining why we were curious wrt the phrase "really vital" - to me, really vital demands immidiete attention.

Since that's pretty much cleared up, and you obviously aren't demanding that replays need attention right now and that, as I would agree, they're a helpful feature in promoting longievity and are useful for tournaments etc. So really, I support the idea of these as much as I do modding and the editor, which obviously, I support a lot.


I apologise if the language I used led you to believe that I thought replays were more important than lobby chat etc. Obviously they're not. Those things are not really "on my radar" as far as needed features go since we already know we're getting them. So when I say that I think replays are vital it's from the context of a Multiwinia which is already receiving everything that was outlined in the OP.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:40 pm
by xander
As TGF said, no one is disputing that replays would be nice -- I just didn't think that it was a "really vital feature." Nice? Yes. Important? Yes. Vital? No.

xander