Planned Future Patches

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Cpt_Chaos
level0

Postby Cpt_Chaos » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:38 pm

KingAl wrote:Cpt_Chaos: Well, the way I interpret it, "full" indicates more the high developer support of it rather than an ability to overhaul the game significantly. I don't expect anything remarkably more powerful than the Darwinia editor. But this wouldn't be the first time I've been horribly wrong ;)

Jelco: I didn't doubt that that's what you meant, I just thought explaining it in that fashion was preferable to "What a stupid question." :P

Okay hmm I don't understand exactly. What then do you mean with "high-developer" support? Can you clarify this?
Also I never used the darwinia editor... what could you do with it?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:53 pm

By high developer support, I mean it's not tacked-on, it's stable, there are systems in place for distribution, ...that it's supported highly by the developers :P Darwinia allowed you to create maps, to change the appearance of creatures by editing resource files, and to design campaigns and levels via scripting. I'm not sure to what extent Multiwinia supports this last point, but you'll certainly be able to create new maps, and you should be able to make cosmetic unit changes. Enemy and crate behaviour etc. is all hard-coded, however, so it seems exceedingly unlikely that you'll be able to add/alter these.

Which is to say, mods should hopefully have a big impact on Multiwinia since they'll be easy to share, good maps will become popular and float to the top etc. However, I'm not sure how much actual flexibility modders will be afforded. The emphasis is very much on maps.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Cpt_Chaos
level0

Postby Cpt_Chaos » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:54 pm

Ok well thanks for the info. I have an idea: Would be cool if somehow the game could be modded so that already existing units (e.g. tank, engies) could spawn from captured spawn points, not only mutliwinians.
No new units, just another way to get them (not so randomly as with crates)...
Then you would have to fight even more for control of these spawns. Of course the spawn rate would be slower for more powerful units, so you would have to decide which of them are important enough for you to spend resources on (defend), if you want a small force with powerful units or just overwhelm the enemy with masses of MWs....
kind of like in Z (anyone still remembers that game?)

Anyways, im drifting away from the topic, so yeah - let's just hope for the best :-)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm

Unless IV consider supplanting lua scripting, or develop a behavoir shorthand definition into Xwinia, I doubt we'll see custom units any time soon.

It's possible that we could see manufacturing plants like the old Yard (this should be relatively simple to engineer with a few code changes to some of the existing buildings), although there's a lack of units to create that would be of any consequence. APCs out of Z could be neat to have, simple platforms platforms basically - imagine armour with some gun ports for those who aren't familiar.

Still, first step is the editor and propogation systems, let's see how things work out with that and move on from there.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Vergerus
level1
level1

Postby Vergerus » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Any hope for replay functionality? Ability to save a replay of a match and watch it back later/share it. Very important for any tournaments and the like.
rainingblood
level1
level1

Postby rainingblood » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:14 pm

Yep, i agree with the replay stuff, the possibility to share and watch replays could be determining for tournaments & leagues :D
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:19 pm

I think this has been said before, but this functionality in Defcon was created externally by a fan and forum member. I expect the same will be true for Multiwinia.
junker154
level0

Postby junker154 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:19 pm

When does the update comes out? :?:
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:26 pm

junker154 wrote:When does the update comes out? :?:

When it comes out, is when it comes out. No need for the to rush.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:59 pm

Will modding support also allow for graphics changes?
Greendingbat
level1
level1

Postby Greendingbat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:33 pm

Lobby Chat
Wait in Lobby until all Players ready
Kick/Rename/Resigning Support
Password Protected Servers
Full Modding system (including map editor and transfer of maps between server and clients)
Ability for connecting players to see Advanced Options
Post-Game statistics
Spectator Mode

Wow
that is EXACTLY what i wanted to see in a patch
plus some (minor) bug fixes such as the camera when you enter a turret, which seems to go berzerk
I would also like to see some better servers for running MW, as they can get quite slow when there is a lot of action going on
Note: You can communicate in the lobby right now by changing your name, since it updates as you type
just type your message, backspace it, type the next section, ect, then change it back
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
Cpt_Chaos
level0

Postby Cpt_Chaos » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:18 am

Vergerus wrote:Any hope for replay functionality? Ability to save a replay of a match and watch it back later/share it. Very important for any tournaments and the like.

QFT

just type your message, backspace it, type the next section, ect, then change it back

Yeah and its annoying as hell
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 am

Cpt_Chaos wrote:
Vergerus wrote:Any hope for replay functionality? Ability to save a replay of a match and watch it back later/share it. Very important for any tournaments and the like.

QFT

Phelanpt wrote:I think this has been said before, but this functionality in Defcon was created externally by a fan and forum member. I expect the same will be true for Multiwinia.
Vergerus
level1
level1

Postby Vergerus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:55 am

Phelanpt wrote:I think this has been said before, but this functionality in Defcon was created externally by a fan and forum member. I expect the same will be true for Multiwinia.

While it's certainly nice that a fan took their time to come up with a solution, it's hardly ideal. I think we would all appreciated fully integrated Introversion-supported replay functionality and not have to rely on an appropriately tech-savvy forum member to spend his spare time adding a really vital feature.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:57 am

Vergerus wrote:really vital feature.

?????

Return to “The Future”