The element of Flame

Post your ideas on where the future evolution of Multiwinia should lead

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Kuth
level4
level4

The element of Flame

Postby Kuth » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:49 am

Fire was previously featured in Darwinia only as side-effect of explosions...usually on trees. Darwinians unfortunate enough to get trapped under the trees got fried as a result. The Virus never had this problem since there were hardly any trees.

Come Multiwinia, fire is now everywhere. We have napalm bombers and a spiffy flame turret.

I'm sure you can see where this is going.

It was to my surprise that the jellyfish was unaffected when it was floating about, point-blank next to the naplam hose at full power. I was looking forward to introducing the Darwinians to the concept of 'fish food', after frying the jellyfish and cooking it's unhatched eggs for the victory celebration. Sadly, the virus was unaffected.

Likewise, when the dreaded soul devourer appeared, I thought 'surely the flame turret can defeat this menace!' but alas, the newest element at the disposal of the Darwinians failed here, also.

You would think Turrets, being constructed for the purposes of killing things, would also apply to the virus. Apparently the ever-lethal flame is an exception in this case.

It would be nice if flame could affect the viruses. Imagine! a soul destroyer making a dive in for the kill flies right through a forest fire and emerges ablaze! While it writhes in agony it falls through another riot of Darwinians, setting them on fire as well!

They don't have to die immediately, but I'd be happy if one could set the flying monstrosities on fire and then they die. :)
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:55 am

yeah you really do have a bit of a point, here...
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:38 am

Yes.

The point is it would be far more awesome if fire DID work on laser proof enemies.

Of failing that, at least set them on fire.

@_@
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:41 am

Edit; NINJAS! Seconded what everyone before Jelco said.

Surely, fried soul destroyer is a highly sought after delicacy in the land of Multiwinia?
Last edited by RabidZombie on Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:59 am

I think it's a good bit that they require more strategy than "fire everything we've got at them" - having to pick the correct weapon seems like a good choice to me.

Unfortunately, what you get in the bonus crates is outside the realm of "strategy" and in the land of "chance". If I end up with more flame turrets (or other non-explosive items), then what am I supposed to do against the Dark trees / Soul Destroyers / ants? Especially in early to mid game. There's no solution early on other than relying on the random-ness of the crates to save the day from these things.

I feel flame being able to kill anything might help solve the anthill/dark tree problem (near misses set them on fire), and also make the player exercise more caution in using them.

And on that note, since Darwinians can get rocket upgrades, how about naplam grenades?
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Kuth wrote:And on that note, since Darwinians can get rocket upgrades, how about naplam grenades?

If they already blow themselves up a lot with the rockets, I shudder at what would happen with napalm grenades. :?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:27 pm

Some joker planted a magical forest around my spawn point, that took out a lot of DGs when it went up!
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:58 pm

That's the oldest trick in the book.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:15 pm

RabidZombie wrote:That's the oldest trick in the book.

According to Uncyclopedia, the oldest trick is actually "Tapping on a person's left shoulder when you're standing on their right."
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:09 pm

Yeah, well, Uncyclopedia's isn't funny or clever, so it's probably wrong.

(The oldest trick in the book is of course is to use deadlier weapons)
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:05 pm

Anyway: Fire.

What's there to say about setting soul destroyers aflame and adding to the chaos? Even if they near-miss on their dives, they'd still set some DGs on fire.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:11 pm

That would be sweet...

Shwart!!
Puzzlemaker
level2
level2

Postby Puzzlemaker » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Evilinians can't be set on fire. It's really, really annoying.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:28 pm

Puzzlemaker wrote:It's really, really annoying.

That's why they're called Evilwinians. :twisted:
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:43 pm

Looks like Evilwinians use the 'charred' Darwinia sprite, so it kinda makes sense I guess.

Although one should think that all undead are vulnerable to flame- even in cyberspace. First time I've seen this as an exception. Hopefully chainsaws and shotguns still work :\

Return to “The Future”