Only if I do it
31%

Total votes: 29
Cyan.
level3
level3

Carbombing Spawngate

Postby Cyan. » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:23 pm

Is it not ethical anymore to use armour as bomb upfront of a spawngate? Because if the rules have changed I really didn't know, I ask because some guy left the game saying I was pathetic, not sure he left because he was just losing or he knows something I don't know.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Better to kill them then and spare them the horror of conflicts to come...
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:54 pm

I do it and don't mind terribly if others do it. However, I think the levels should be changed to make it impossible, for example with a fence around the trunk port. Reasons: there's no defense, and it's a boring move, and the trunk ports are already protected against other powerups, which suggest their surroundings are to be considered a safe zone.
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:58 pm

Right now, there's often no reason not to do it. And you've got to take advantage of all your resources.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:02 pm

If there's a rule against it, it'll be the first I heard of it.

Anything considered "cheap" by the average player is almost always considered "highly effective" in a tournament environment; no one's giving you extra points for calling an airstrike instead. Considering that such an environment is created by Multiwinia Ladder's existence, I wouldn't complain so much. The other guy could always do it back, or, you know, plant a couple of turrets to stop it entirely. Honestly, I think the real issue is that you might be shooting yourself in the foot by doing it. RR needs the armours for absolutely everything, BLITZ needs them for almost everything, ASLT... OK point taken, and the other three don't even provide the situation to use them like that.

Please note that "game breaking" is still considered "game breaking" and that crap on The Third Kind would never be tolerated, before you ask.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:29 pm

You get a new armour in Blitz and RR as often as your enemy gets reinforcements. As long as you don't blow them up otherwise, you have plenty. Just use every new one you get to ferry your reinforcements somewhere and then send it off to the enemy trunkport; there's usually enough time for that, especially on RR maps with trunk ports close together. It's just a matter of diligent logistics. It feels like work. It's nothing compared to placing a flame turret between two fighting enemy forces and watch them all burn while you snatch the statue.

Gunturrets, you say? I'll just park my armour there and watch your turret get blown to bits by your own grenades. Your turret will be missed elsewhere, my armour won't.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:45 pm

ssssj dopn't tell them that secret!!! its a secret! Ah well was then, atleast you could disguise that hint a bit, anyways you wanna play tonight?
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:03 pm

There's nothing wrong with carbombing anything.

One thing I would like, though, is a bit more openness from players to a) share these tactics and b) be prepared to learn them

(that guy shouldn't have gone off in a sulk, but rather have mentally noted the trick. I was playing assault recently on defense, and the other player clearly hadn't seen or heard of armours being used against turrets - I saw no reason not to suggest the idea to him...)

Any ideas about counters to carbombing spawns, though? As for bombing spawn locations, retaliation in kind seems the most obvious - but that makes RR into an even more incredibly boring game of attrition...
One thing that (kind of) works is to park your own armour right at the spawn point (hopefully you've got one spare, to blow at the opponent's spawn) and set it to load. Usually a fair few of MWs survive by 'falling' into the armour.

Also, does the explosion from an armour being blown up equal to damage from destroying it manually. It seems to me that manually blowing it up is more powerful, but that may just be observer bias...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:11 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:<Really unsubtle reference to defence busting technique>
I thought I was so clever when I did that to someone. Then I realised that having seen me do it, he could do it right back.

*goes back to exploiting Heart of Chaos instead*
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:18 pm

haha yeah it was pretty cleaver, so who invented it you or bert? Anyway one way to defend against carbombing is take some mwg's before your spawn and let them throw grenades, however you need a couple of spare left afcourse.
Lelouch
level1
level1

Postby Lelouch » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:18 pm

There is no such thing as fair, ethical or honor in war, nothing is prohibited as long as it brings victory, but i guess if someone wants general anti-genocide rules then rocket should be impossible to damage, turrets should have limit supply of bullets/gas and diseased multiwinians shouldn't be carried in armors into enemy's forces, plus armors themselves shouldn't be used as devices of terror, nukes should be banned and meteor showers should occur at random interval of 5000-50000 years.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:27 pm

First one I saw using Armours to cause general annoyance and chaos among enemy troops was NeoThermic. He parked one in the path of my supply lines on Bleak Mountains once during the beta. From there, it's not much of an idea to apply this tho turrets.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:50 pm

Cyan. wrote:haha yeah it was pretty cleaver, so who invented it you or bert?
Let's say bert, because he said it first.
Johnis
level2
level2

Postby Johnis » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:42 pm

i find this very cool and i do it too. bombing with tank
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:25 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:
Cyan. wrote:haha yeah it was pretty cleaver, so who invented it you or bert?
Let's say bert, because he said it first.
Nah. The least the general rules for such cases, since you definitely used it before I "published" it, would be to talk of independent discovery by both of us.

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”