Xfire and it's users.

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

aldaris
level1
level1
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Postby aldaris » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:56 pm

I have Xfire, not sure whether MW is supported, but I think so.
tals
level1
level1
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:41 pm

Postby tals » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:13 pm

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:Since the Steam overlay got implemented I never used Xfire since - it does pretty much the same stuff but better, and I don't play many online multiplayer games that aren't on Steam anyways. But I usually still play games windowed so I can alt-tab to IRC easily, hurrah!


Steam's functionality for game chat imho is not a patch on xfires.

Xfire's detection is based on what is actually running, steams is done on having to be the program starting it. Xfire ingame chat supports way more games than steams. Then add on the ability to have a clock/fps, video and screen capture (hosting included) and voice chat and its not comparable. IRC - why bother xfire has persistant chat rooms.

Steam is a great product for buying games but not a patch on xfire where the overlay is concerned.

Has anyone setup an xfire group - would be interested in joining it as multiwinian opponents seem fairly short on the ground in my times.

Tals

** yes MW is supported by Xfire
estel
level4
level4
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Postby estel » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:18 pm

tals wrote:Has anyone setup an xfire group - would be interested in joining it as multiwinian opponents seem fairly short on the ground in my times.


http://www.xfire.com/clans/introversion/

GOGOGO
tals
level1
level1
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:41 pm

Postby tals » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:54 pm

estel wrote:
tals wrote:Has anyone setup an xfire group - would be interested in joining it as multiwinian opponents seem fairly short on the ground in my times.


http://www.xfire.com/clans/introversion/

GOGOGO


Many thanks and request sent :)
estel
level4
level4
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:20 pm
Location: Bristol
Contact:

Postby estel » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:04 pm

tals wrote:
estel wrote:
tals wrote:Has anyone setup an xfire group - would be interested in joining it as multiwinian opponents seem fairly short on the ground in my times.


http://www.xfire.com/clans/introversion/

GOGOGO


Many thanks and request sent :)


Added :)
RabidZombie
level5
level5
Posts: 2413
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:58 pm

tals wrote:Steam's functionality for game chat imho is not a patch on xfires.

Xfire's detection is based on what is actually running, steams is done on having to be the program starting it. Xfire ingame chat supports way more games than steams. Then add on the ability to have a clock/fps, video and screen capture (hosting included) and voice chat and its not comparable. IRC - why bother xfire has persistant chat rooms.

Steam is a great product for buying games but not a patch on xfire where the overlay is concerned.


That's odd. Steam's overlay has supported every game I've tried. I have to admit having to launch the game from Steam itself is rather irritating. However, XFire is so damn ugly and messy, while the Steam overlay is so much better looking, cleaner and easier to use.

As for features, the Steam Overlay has web browsing functionality (beta), which IMO is much more useful than a screenshot/video/fps display for me. Oh, yeah, and I can use FRAPs for that.

Steam also has persistent chat rooms, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about. Although you have to browse the Steam Community to get to them.
spacebug
level1
level1
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:00 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Postby spacebug » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:47 pm

Of course the question for a lot of people is, do you want Steam running, or do you want Steam AND X-fire/IRC.

I choose just Steam. Less stuff going on in the background has to help a bit...
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:51 pm

spacebug wrote:Of course the question for a lot of people is, do you want Steam running, or do you want Steam AND X-fire/IRC.

I choose just Steam. Less stuff going on in the background has to help a bit...

The Ladder keeps track of the versions that are used, and they tell me there's in fact more retail users than Steam users. ;) Here you are:

Code: Select all

+----------+------------------+
| type     | total_occurences |
+----------+------------------+
| retail   |             9788 |
| steam    |             7087 |
| xfire    |             1539 |
+----------+------------------+

I've removed the beta versions from this list because they're irrelevant.

Not to ruin your point or anything (it is a valid point that a large portion of users already have Steam running since they have the Steam version) but whether it's most, is probably debatable. In fact, as has been put forward before, the game needs to be run through Steam for the overlay to work, while Xfire doesn't have this problem. How IRC comes into play here I'm not sure, it doesn't have game overlays last time I checked, but if we do throw it into this mix, I'd argue that any people who use IRC regardless of gaming will have it running in the background all the time.

I for one prefer Xfire for arguments mentioned before, plus the fact that it doesn't bother me with its game and news updates all the time but just does the stuff in the background. Also, while many people probably dislike it, I enjoy Xfire not showing up in the taskbar, because it doesn't take up any space in the taskbar but I can switch back and forth between Xfire and other apps with the app switch button on my MX1000. :P (This doesn't go for Steam, as it needs to be called up from the systray before it's usable and that is not the same as switching with the Logitech app switcher.)

So anyway, my rant.

EDIT: Ok, I niced up the SQL result a bit.

Jelco
User avatar
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:37 pm
Location: UK

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:58 am

I run my retail copy of Multiwinia through Steam anyway, please adjust your figures accordingly :P

Personally I've not run Xfire since the competition ended, and doubt I will do any time soon, but then again, almost all my online gaming is Source mods/Team Fortress 2/Left 4 Dead, so my friends list is all on Steam and it's always running anyway.
spacebug
level1
level1
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:00 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Postby spacebug » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:48 am

jelco wrote:Not to ruin your point or anything (it is a valid point that a large portion of users already have Steam running since they have the Steam version) but whether it's most, is probably debatable.


I never said most, I just said lots. 7,000 and some sounds like lots to me! :)

jelco wrote:How IRC comes into play here I'm not sure


I mentioned it because some other people said that they would prefer to use IRC in the background to chat than to use Steam.
Last edited by spacebug on Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
cheesemoo0
level3
level3
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:19 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby cheesemoo0 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:50 am

I run my retail through Steam, but his figures are still correct. It doesn't matter what you run it through your copy will still report the correct version. :wink:
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:05 pm

Ooh, a small thing I forgot to mention about that list: it shows the amount of occurences, not unique users. This means that, in case of a Steam player for example, the counter increases by one every time he plays a game on the Ladder.

Nonetheless, I'd call that list fairly representative.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests