Massed vs formations

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:59 pm

Doncommie wrote:Such as?

I just gave an example. Reading comprehension for the win!

xander
Doncommie
level1
level1

Postby Doncommie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:15 am

Sorry but could you expand on that? I can't really see why at a spawn would be superior. They would be quite easy to flank at a spawn and I don't see why a formation would be more powerful than massed in those circumstances, spawns are obviously generally strong due to the fact the defenders get reinforced but I'm not sure why that would favor a formation over a mass.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:43 am

Code: Select all

Vs. / Situation                         | Use
----------------------------------------+-----------------------------------------------------------
Hills with a couple of enemies on them. | Formations. Time saver.
                                        |
Larger mob of multiwinians              | Formation.  Be prepared to disband in the case of grenades
                                        | OR
                                        | Run.  May not be an option though.
Smaller mob                             | Mob if attacking, formation if defending. Read above.
Attacking from uphill (not mountains)   | Mob
Defending from uphill (not mountains)   | Formation
Attacking from downhill (not mountains) | Formation
Defending from downhill (not mountains) | Mob (may need to flee)
Formation                               | Use mob to get REALLY close then disband
                                        | OR
                                        | Split a mob in two and attack from both flanks.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:10 am

Doncommie wrote:Sorry but could you expand on that? I can't really see why at a spawn would be superior. They would be quite easy to flank at a spawn and I don't see why a formation would be more powerful than massed in those circumstances, spawns are obviously generally strong due to the fact the defenders get reinforced but I'm not sure why that would favor a formation over a mass.

Formations are great for defense. When an enemy is sending a mass of DGs at you, a formation can mow down those DGs before they get within laser range (formations have greater range than mobs). Thus, formations are great for defending spawn points, choke points, or other places where the enemy is being sent at you. So, come after my spawn point. It is defended with at least one formation. I don't see how you are going to take it without the use of some kind of powerup.

xander
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:36 pm

The best defence, I've found (if you can spare the DGs), is a formation with a similar sized mass of DGs spread just to the front of that formation.

The formation has enough range to focus firepower on any mass of DGs attacking, whilst the defending mass of DGs will soak up any fire coming from the attackers, especially grenades.

I find the best response to a formation is another formation to get as close as possible, then disband and hope the DGs 'nade the defending formation. But if you have a mass of DGs in front of your defending formation, chances are they'll start 'nading the incoming formation before they get close enough.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:23 am

There are weaknesses to every defense, but formations usually require you to pay more attention if you want to beat them, this can leave you vulnerable to what is happening elsewhere in the map.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:27 pm

xander wrote:So, come after my spawn point. It is defended with at least one formation. I don't see how you are going to take it without the use of some kind of powerup.

xander

If you really do that in a game against me chances are you will be eleminated in no time. You can't efford such a thing. And elexis is right when saying formations take more micro-management to beat, but that counts for both players.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:31 pm

I should probably add that what I mentioned before applies only to choke points or spawn points at the edges of a map.

I'm not aware of any particularly good way of holding an open position, other than sheer numbers. Even turrets can be rendered almost completely ineffective if the attacker can spread out and come from a number of directions.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:51 pm

yes on the edge of amap it might work, bt only if you are favoured in spawns and numbers.
Doncommie
level1
level1

Postby Doncommie » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:31 pm

Thanks elexis! That was the information I was after.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:39 pm

Having a formation at at spawn is advantageous because you can anchor one side of the formation (or the back) against the spawn itself, which stops it being flanked from that side.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:51 pm

Formations are only good if they cover the most likely angles of attack, otherwise it's a load of dead MWs waiting to happen.

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”