Plot?

General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

taltamir
level1
level1

Plot?

Postby taltamir » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:17 am

Is it just me, or is there just no plot. I loved the story of darwinia. But I played through the demo and I see no plot.
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:18 am

The plot is in the map descriptions. I'm tempted to compile a list and try to show what happened when.

Plus on the main website it gives a backround.
PegasusJF
level1
level1

Postby PegasusJF » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:29 am

It probably would be quite an accomplishments to put all those mission plot tidbits into their complete tapestry.
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:52 pm

I think the level of backstory introduced is about right; the whole point of Multiwinia is to stop navel-gazing and get with the fighting after all!
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
Feud
level5
level5

Re: Plot?

Postby Feud » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:12 pm

taltamir wrote:Is it just me, or is there just no plot. I loved the story of darwinia. But I played through the demo and I see no plot.

Are you kidding? I haven't seen a plot this fleshed out since the original Unreal Tournament!
mmaestro
level1
level1

Postby mmaestro » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:25 pm

I was kind of disappointed that the origins of the war are simply forgotten. Something like a fight over the use of the pattern buffer location to control how many of the different clans would have been a nice way to kick it off.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:13 pm

There's always custom maps. ;)
Frustian
level0

Postby Frustian » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:58 pm

mmaestro wrote:I was kind of disappointed that the origins of the war are simply forgotten. Something like a fight over the use of the pattern buffer location to control how many of the different clans would have been a nice way to kick it off.

The manual has a nice flowchart about how and why different MW 'clans' emerged and fought each other.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:07 pm

There's no say on what happened to Pattern Buffer. Is it a warzone, now? Has it been destroyed by constant infighting? What about the other important locations that were crucial to Darwinians being reborn? Have they survived? Declared off limits? Guarded by Shamans, who still know the Old Ways of shaping their world?

Who knows? I'd like to find out those answers too, but as always my own imagination can find satisfactory answers to lingering plot holes :D
mmaestro
level1
level1

Postby mmaestro » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:54 am

I think the Shamans must have it. Assuming pattern buffer determines what sort of DGs come out (and it may not), the only way we could have multiple different clans using the spawn points would be if the shamans have control of it, or Sevulpedra cut it off.
PegasusJF
level1
level1

Postby PegasusJF » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:12 am

That is true, the other possibility is that there are other soul collectors/pattern buffers/biospheres, with at least one for each tribe.

Assuming that this is the case, I would guess the mutations that led to the different tribes happened before hostilities, when the future multiwinians still had the knowledge to modify their own world. It would be logical that each tribe created its own means of reproduction to secure its future. Perhap this lead to a increased sense of xenophobia and isolation (edit: plus the increased competition for natural polygons) that increased tensions since they didn't really need any other tribe's help anymore.

Plus, I would think that the original means of reproduction, the original soul collector, pattern buffer and biosphere may have been a early flashpoint due to their stature and reverence of in the original darwinian society.

But that's just an educated guess.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:01 am

My personal plot:

It's in my signature for another forum, too.

Sometimes I feel sorry for Doctor Sepulveda. He worked so hard to create his world, only to have his very creations turn on each other in an orgy of violence and rage, and we only contribute to this cycle of hate. But the other tribes refuse to listen. They continue to destroy each other irrespective of the good Doctors wishes. And so we must fight them. If they refuse to listen, we shall force them to. Darwinia shall be united once more, and we are the ones who shall bring this to pass.

To the last Multiwinian!
St!gar
level1
level1

Postby St!gar » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:00 pm

Which brings me to a question: Exactly who/what are we, the players, supposed to be? Is it like in Darwinia, where the player is just that - a normal person that happens to log into Darwinia just when everything goes to shit, and ends up posing as a sort of godlike figure, saving a little universe?

Maybe Multiwinia functions like that as well - in the same way people could visit Darwinia and hang around, watching the Darwinians evolve and grow in their own little reality; here some people somehow has found a way to log onto Multiwinia and commands the little guys around, having them kill each other just for shits n' giggles?

But that opens up another question. In Darwinia, you had no direct control over the Darwinians per se - you would resort to directing them through the use of these so-called "Officers"; semi-prophetic figures with no actual will. (Until they went all Shaman all over everybody's asses, of course.) How come the player here has a down-to-individual level command of his/her subjects all of a sudden? In Darwinia, that would never have been possible unless... you were a Dar/Multiwinian yourself!

So perhaps the player takes the role of one of those mysterious Shamans; floating around in the network, fighting cataclysmic wars and generally speaking being real assholes? And that still doesn't explain the Futurewinians, Evilinians, how come Virii suddenly has become friendly to the faction that spawns them on the battlefield, where crates come from, what the hell those statues in CTS are supposed to be and why everyone are killing each other over them, and, and... ugh.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:14 pm

St!gar wrote:Which brings me to a question: Exactly who/what are we, the players, supposed to be? Is it like in Darwinia, where the player is just that - a normal person that happens to log into Darwinia just when everything goes to shit, and ends up posing as a sort of godlike figure, saving a little universe?
Guess: The prevailing will of the hivemind.

But that opens up another question. In Darwinia, you had no direct control over the Darwinians per se - you would resort to directing them through the use of these so-called "Officers"; semi-prophetic figures with no actual will. (Until they went all Shaman all over everybody's asses, of course.) How come the player here has a down-to-individual level command of his/her subjects all of a sudden? In Darwinia, that would never have been possible unless... you were a Dar/Multiwinian yourself!
See above.

Maybe the player takes the role of one of those mysterious Shamans; floating around in the network, fighting cataclysmic wars and generally speaking being real assholes? And that still doesn't explain the Futurewinians, Evilinians, how come Virii suddenly has become friendly to the faction that spawns them on the battlefield, where crates come from, what the hell those statues in CTS are supposed to be and why everyone are killing each other over them... Ugh.
Reverse engineering/MWs discovered the quantum level of their world/Wizard did it.
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:06 am

I would guess we play as hackers messing with the multiwinians while Sepulveda is on vacation to [insert warm climate area here]. That or he sold out to some game company because the original Darwinians messed up and found out the truth to soon to make much of the data he was gathering on general existence useful. At least something with a sudden plot twist like that would be humorous XD.
[insert outrageously funny/insightful comment here]

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”