General discussion about Game Play

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

lorant
level1
level1

Constant use of the shift key?

Postby lorant » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi,

I've noticed that I almost always hold the shift key down during game: at the default speed I just cannot do enough "multitasking".

At first I wanted to ask for some kind of "always run" option, but I wonder if it's not my way of playing that is flawed: I tend to move a lot on the map. Even if I go high enough to see the whole map, I often need to turn around it to correctly point behind some obstacles. I'd like to know how all the experienced players do: do you also abuse the shift key, or is there a better solution?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:21 pm

I think we all abuse the shift key. :P
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:22 pm

You're definitely not the only one. I rarely let go of the Shift key while moving in-game, and I've seen others say this as well. :)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
lorant
level1
level1

Postby lorant » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Nice to know that.

Maybe I'll propose this option in the "Future" section, then. Or maybe it's intended as a way to instantly recognize the multiwini-addicts: a huge and muscular pinkie?
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:10 pm

I don't think I abuse the shift key as often... mostly I'm zoomed out, and have a general idea of where things are anyway. It's only when I'm extended REAL far (i.e. across the map) that I feel the need to use a Shift key, or if I'm coordinating two things at once.

I say leave it as it is. Players aren't necessarily handicapped without run being always on.
mehoo462
level2
level2

Postby mehoo462 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:31 pm

although more control options would be nice in general. Like the ability to remap things, invert mouse, etc. Right now there are no control options. Darwinia had a pretty substantial set of control options.
Cpt_Chaos
level0

Postby Cpt_Chaos » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 am

Well how about just enabling CAPS LOCK to toggle "always fast" on? Its after all CAPS LOCK - its supposed to emulate SHIFT DOWN the whole time anyway... (ps no it doesn't work that way now)

Better yet: A scroll speed / mouse sensitivity setting would be even cooler!
lorant
level1
level1

Postby lorant » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:17 am

Cpt_Chaos wrote:Well how about just enabling CAPS LOCK to toggle "always fast" on?

In this case, it should be deactivated while in chat, otherwise this could lead to some misunderstandings. But I agree that having a toggle key for speed could be a good alternative. I tried to edit the "input_preferences.txt" file to do just that (by changing "key shift pressed" to "key shift on"), with no effect.
hibbs
level2
level2

Postby hibbs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:24 am

LEAVE THE SHIFT KEY ALONE!!!!!!! IT"S so DEFENSELESS!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll:
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:39 am

You know you can define more than one button to an action?

You know you can define more than one action for a button?

;)

Put the following somewhere in your input_preferences.txt: (no need to delete anything or change anything else, just add it on the end or wherever it makes sense to you)

Code: Select all

#speeds up the camera by default
CameraSpeedup                     = key w pressed
CameraSpeedup                     = key a pressed
CameraSpeedup                     = key d pressed
CameraSpeedup                     = key s pressed
#

Unfortunately there is no way of moving the camera slowly now - I tried changing shift to CameraSlowdown, but CameraSpeedup seems to trump it. :(
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:51 am

I was actually about to come here and post exactly this.

If anyone's wondering, you almost definately can't do this with a keyboards file remap, you'll need to edit input_preferences.txt, as shinygerbil says, to do this.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Cpt_Chaos
level0

Postby Cpt_Chaos » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:02 am

hey cool thanks a lot! <3
Will try this when I come home.
lorant
level1
level1

Postby lorant » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:27 am

Thanks shinygerbil!

I didn't realize you could map several actions to one key. As The Goldfish said, this doesn't work in the "input/keyboards/xx_XX.txt" files.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:47 pm

I never new about the shift key!

I found it sow to move but now I am used to it and I thoughed it was part of the game, you have to plan a kind of ahead and place officers well so that you can micro better and don't lose precious time.

I even began to like the peaceful slow movement, I think they should take away the shift-option instead of make it possible to toggle it auto. Its something else for a change, it gives you somewhat more time to think too.
So it allows for somewhat better though trough strategies.
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 pm

That amazes me considering how well you play, :P

I seem to just have my pinky occupied when playing, I like going slow for small areas thou.

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”