An effective way to refill nespresso capsules

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

stindows
level1
level1

An effective way to refill nespresso capsules

Postby stindows » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:43 pm

If your Nespresso machine doesn't function properly with reused capsules, its probably because it doesn't make the holes in the aluminum properly, so you have to make them. You can make the holes with the tip of a pointy knife as seen on the picture below. With this method, you'll end the monopoly of nestling and use the quality coffee of your choice.
graduateduser
level1
level1

Re: An effective way to refill nespresso capsules

Postby graduateduser » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Very nice. I have seen capsule kits at the kitchen store. It looked like a good solution for exploring beyond that which is offered commercially. Not owning a machine of this type, I didnt look further.

Rather than punch so many holes with a knife, why not use use part of a kitchen grater? I am sure one could be had from a yard sale for $0.25 or less than $5 new. Possibly cut out a round section to make the holes, and then maybe fashion it to a sharp ring to cut the foil in a pattern the proper size for your capsule. Might take a little fabrication effort, but in the long run it will take 30 seconds or less to refill a capsule without the busy work.

Great idea btw !
roomftrhaver
level1
level1

Postby roomftrhaver » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:47 pm

This method shown is just messy and time consuming.
Try MyCoffeePod Refillable & Reusable Capsules, there is no need to fiddle around trying to make your coffee. The Nespresso machine is famous for instant great tasting coffee and if people are looking for refillable capsules without that fuss try MyCoffeePod Refillable Capsules!

Visit the website mycoffeepod . com . au
rockwellcreaky
level1
level1

Postby rockwellcreaky » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:54 pm

stindows wrote:If your Nespresso machine doesn't function properly with reused capsules, its probably because it doesn't make the holes in the aluminum properly, so you have to make them. You can make the holes with the tip of a pointy knife as seen on the picture below. With this method, you'll end the monopoly of nestling and use the quality coffee of your choice.

are there generic espresso capsules for the Nespresso machines ? I'm not concerned about cost as I am with availability. No stores carry them and I hate waiting for an order to arrive.
stindows
level1
level1

Postby stindows » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:55 pm

Technically those machines don't use pods, but actually use capsules instead. From what I've read capsules will offer more freshness than a pod since it's sealed. IMO neither will give the same results as a good grinder and a semi-auto machine. Also, with pods you won't have nearly as much selection or convenience as you do with whole bean availability.

With that being said, if you want a decent shot with minimal effort and cost, then these machines should give you just that. Later!
graduateduser
level1
level1

Postby graduateduser » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm

stindows wrote:If your Nespresso machine doesn't function properly with reused capsules, its probably because it doesn't make the holes in the aluminum properly, so you have to make them. You can make the holes with the tip of a pointy knife as seen on the picture below. With this method, you'll end the monopoly of nestling and use the quality coffee of your choice.

Also, consider carefully the LIMITED supply (Nestle only), limited distribution and smallish selection from single manufacturer.
The pod systems offer a somewhat larger range of pod manufacturer's and their product lines to choose from. Beware the range of quality and freshness offered in pod format, too.
roomftrhaver
level1
level1

Postby roomftrhaver » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Just got back from Mexico and the resort there had a new Nespresso machine in service. Honestly, not too bad. MUCH better than the other machine they had there, but that's not saying much.

I just continue to believe that for the money, semi-auto and custom beans are still the better choice. If I had a small shop or deli and wanted self-serve espressos, I'd take a serious look at it.
rockwellcreaky
level1
level1

Postby rockwellcreaky » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Last edited by rockwellcreaky on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
graduateduser
level1
level1

Postby graduateduser » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:05 pm

What are the best Nespresso reusable capsules on the market? Do the reusable pods offer the same great taste and crema as the original capsules? How much we can save by using the refillable coffee capsules? These are great questions for a Nespresso machine owner.
Last edited by graduateduser on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stindows
level1
level1

Postby stindows » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Check your Nespresso machine and see if you have an older model. If, indeed you have one of the models before October 2010, this coffeeduck is for you. When ordering the capsules, you need to ask for the BROWN capsules for the old models. Old models have the interior cylinder smooth, whereas the new ones have ridges on the cylinder.

This is also a great capsule, but you need to follow the same procedures as with any other reusable pod. Adjust the coffee grind, the amount of grinds, and the amount of tamping.

Return to “General”