Is God a Moral Being?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

stindows
level2
level2

Is God a Moral Being?

Postby stindows » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Because there can be no laws external to God which He is bound to obey, terms such as 'good' and 'evil' could not apply to His behavior, since that implies an external standard which God's will is held up to.

Whatever God does is necessarily correct. There can be no moral judgment on God.

Whatever He does could not be a mistake and whatever He wills can't be considered wrong.

The parameters of His definition appear to confine God to infallibility.

In the end God never makes moral choices.

Morality concerns the concepts of right and wrong, good and evil. If God is never confronted by an external wrong or evil then in what sense is He a moral being?
roomftrhaver
level1
level1

Re: Is God a Moral Being?

Postby roomftrhaver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:17 pm

I believe you can and you should. This is why I became an atheist as a child. Before I considered God logically I made an intuitive judgment based on whether this was a just world. I decided that I was morally superior to God and that nullified His existence.

It is similar to Popper's idea of falsifiability. If God can not be condemned then He is not a valid moral concept.

Don't eat any sandwich God tries to serve you. He has funny ideas about what constitutes "meat" and "bread."
graduateduser
level1
level1

Postby graduateduser » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:17 pm

stindows wrote:Because there can be no laws external to God which He is bound to obey, terms such as 'good' and 'evil' could not apply to His behavior, since that implies an external standard which God's will is held up to.

Whatever God does is necessarily correct. There can be no moral judgment on God.

Whatever He does could not be a mistake and whatever He wills can't be considered wrong.

The parameters of His definition appear to confine God to infallibility.

In the end God never makes moral choices.

Morality concerns the concepts of right and wrong, good and evil. If God is never confronted by an external wrong or evil then in what sense is He a moral being?

Creator God is an entity on a different realm than his created. God is not subject to his creation, nor is he subject to the world of good and evil. Mankind wanted to "know good and evil" so here we are.
stindows
level2
level2

Postby stindows » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:18 pm

If he keeps giving you sandwiches you don't like then you should consider another sandwich maker.

The word "worship" is related to the word "worthy." The literal idea is that you worship someone who is worthy of worship. If that someone doesn't reward faithful obedience and doesn't punish evildoers in this manifest life, then what proof do people have in his worthiness? This conundrum of good and evil has been recognized for a long time. The Gospels of Christ addressed it by saying that God allows the sun to shine on both the good and the evil, and causes the rain to fall on the just as well as the unjust.

The Old Testament simply matched the mood of God to the results. If they won a battle or had a good harvest then they were being rewarded. And vice versa. The New Testament took the reward/punishment system out of view of the inhabitants of this world and thus out of view of any witnesses.

You know that nothing "means" that God doesn't exist. But you should also acknowledge that it is impossible to disprove the existence of a thing which includes in its postulation the definition that "it exists." The assertion is made with no effort and the burden of the argument is entirely forced on those rejecting the premise. Futility ensues because illogic and logic don't mesh.

Thomas Huxley replied to a clergyman friend who was trying to convert him that "it must be plain that an ingenious man could speculate without end on both sides, and find analogies for all his dreams...to tell me that the aspirations of mankind---that my own highest aspirations even---lead me towards the doctrine of immortality...what is this but in grand words asking me to believe a thing because I like it."

You have gone a step further and suggest that we can take the "liking" part out of belief.
graduateduser
level1
level1

Postby graduateduser » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:18 pm

But morality deals with the spectrum of good and evil. So you agree that God has no moral definition? He is neither good nor evil nor a ratio of the two? Then He can not be assigned a moral value or quality. He can not be understood as "good." Then why worship Him?

I can only see two reasons to worship God. 1. He is good and loving and is worthy of adoration; or 2. I am afraid of what will happen to me if I don't.

It seems to boil down to goodness vs. fearfulness, one of which is in danger of dropping out.
roomftrhaver
level1
level1

Postby roomftrhaver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:18 pm

graduateduser wrote:But morality deals with the spectrum of good and evil. So you agree that God has no moral definition? He is neither good nor evil nor a ratio of the two? Then He can not be assigned a moral value or quality. He can not be understood as "good." Then why worship Him?

I can only see two reasons to worship God. 1. He is good and loving and is worthy of adoration; or 2. I am afraid of what will happen to me if I don't.

It seems to boil down to goodness vs. fearfulness, one of which is in danger of dropping out.

I don't observe a description of this God in the New Testament. In recently reviewing all references to "God" or "Father" that exist in the New Testament, I can not find any claim like this about God. But I just wonder where you get the observation or assertion for this God.
stindows
level2
level2

Postby stindows » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Social media has had a profound impact on our state of morality. Today, children have their whole lives play out on the internet. All the embarrassing tidbits are laid bare for the world to consume. For example, I've seen parents post pictures of their little kid potty training (no private bits showing, but still embarrassing). I think social media has made our ethics/moral definition so lax, that family unity has been replaced by narcissistic selfies and an addiction for "likes". Everything is fair game and every family member will be sacrificed on the altar of "going viral" if necessary.

Do you believe social media has impacted the family unit? Has it made things better or worse for families?

Return to “General”