Mac VS Pc? Multiwinia

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

the7thcolumn
level1
level1

Mac VS Pc? Multiwinia

Postby the7thcolumn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 pm

Is there inter-play with OS's such as Mac and PC on this game? Looking for a cross platforming game to play. Thanks!

-Mike
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Yep, Windows and Mac versions can play together. There are some technical caveats that make playing together on the same LAN difficult, but not impossible (the workaround being that the PC player needs to start a second MW process, then close the first one, and the Mac player needs to host, or you need to block specific ports).

The XBox players are left on their island, though.
the7thcolumn
level1
level1

Postby the7thcolumn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:46 pm

Oh wow thanks for all the info! becuase I would like to play LAN also!

Ok so let me get this straight!

1) Run Multiwinia on both OSX and Win7

2) OSX hosts,

3) Win7 (starts new multiwinia.exe)

4) Win7 joins OSX?

Correct?

3 Questions,

Wont the Auth servers be wierded out that im trying to authenticate twice with the same key at the same time? Or is per IP.
What if I want to do 2 (Win7) hosts vs OSX same thing just on eatch host?
Why cant we just play externally? (even tho we are local) Does the game detect we are local and forces the local connection, or can I just make a 'online' game and have the OSX leave my local domain and then come back in again.

Seems chincy. And both of them are the same version right?

ONE last thing, cheapest location to purchase it (is there a boxed copy for OSX?) or should I wait and see if Steam OSX will carry the game? Any word on Multiwinia being released on the OSX Steam client?

Thanks guys!

-Mike
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:17 am

the7thcolumn wrote:Oh wow thanks for all the info! becuase I would like to play LAN also!

Ok so let me get this straight!

1) Run Multiwinia on both OSX and Win7

2) OSX hosts,
Up to there, correct. But then:
3) Run another Multiwinia on Win7
4) close the first Multiwinia on Win7
5) Win7 Joins OSX.

the7thcolumn wrote:Wont the Auth servers be wierded out that im trying to authenticate twice with the same key at the same time?
You'll need to purchase both the Mac and the Windows version. You need two keys for two reasons: one is, two players can't join a game using the same key, and the second is that you can't use the PC authentication key on the Mac (Dunno about the reverse).

the7thcolumn wrote:Why cant we just play externally? (even tho we are local) Does the game detect we are local and forces the local connection, or can I just make a 'online' game and have the OSX leave my local domain and then come back in again.
It forces you to local mode, basically. Many routers don't work for online type connections between computers connected to it. And, even though Mac and Windows versions are the same, they differ in a prefix/suffix, which the (stupid) compatibility check for LAN games interprets as "different version, not compatible". If you use the above trickery, the game, even though it will go over the LAN, will be managed by the online matchmaking server, which has proper version compatibility checking.

the7thcolumn wrote:ONE last thing, cheapest location to purchase it (is there a boxed copy for OSX?) or should I wait and see if Steam OSX will carry the game? Any word on Multiwinia being released on the OSX Steam client?
To my knowledge, the only place you can purchase the OSX version is Ambrosia Software. I don't know about a boxed version. No plans regarding OSX Steam have been announced yet.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:32 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:
the7thcolumn wrote:ONE last thing, cheapest location to purchase it (is there a boxed copy for OSX?) or should I wait and see if Steam OSX will carry the game? Any word on Multiwinia being released on the OSX Steam client?
To my knowledge, the only place you can purchase the OSX version is Ambrosia Software. I don't know about a boxed version. No plans regarding OSX Steam have been announced yet.

Ambrosia Software is indeed the only place to get Multiwinia for OS X, and there is no boxed version.

xander
the7thcolumn
level1
level1

Postby the7thcolumn » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Awesome thanks for all the help guys! Picked up Multiwinia on steam last night!

Return to “General”