Multiwinia Ladder Anniversary Tournament: Finished!

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

jelco
level5
level5

Multiwinia Ladder Anniversary Tournament: Finished!

Postby jelco » Sat May 02, 2009 12:01 am

The Tournament has finished!
  1. Myst
  2. bert_the_turtle
  3. tiro
It's competition time! In celebration of the 6-month-anniversary of the Multiwinia Ladder, I bring you the Multiwinia all-round 1v1 tournament!

This tournament will comprise of two stages: the group stage and the knockout stage. In the group stage, the competitors get divided into equally sized groups (entrants permitting), and every player dukes it out with each and every other player in his/her group several times. In the group stage, you will play Capture the Statue and King of the Hill matches versus every player in your group. The best players from each group move on to the knockout stage, which is divided in two parts. The first part will consist of Domination matches, the second half and conclusion of the tournament will be Blitzkrieg.

The details of the match scheme will be fleshed out once we have a complete list of entrants. Everyone who wants to sign up for the tournament can do so by going to the dedicated page on the Ladder. Players will need to have a full version of Multiwinia for either PC or Mac, and will have to be registered to the Ladder. If you signed in and want to get out again, you can do so on the same page (until the deadline closes of course).

There is no set number of applicants, but a minimum of 20 people is definitely a set goal. The match scheme will be adjusted to the amount of players that signed up, unless this becomes difficult for one reason or another - in that case, players will be denied entry to the tournament, the last players to sign up are the first to go. So sign up soon! :)

The list of applicants can be found here.

FAQ
Q: How will the matches be played and tracked?
A: The matches will be played using dedicated servers. Players can request a server to be readied for a particular match using a simple form on the website, after which it will appear in the server list. Special measures will be taken to make sure only the match participants can enter the server. Each match can only be played once. Unless a disconnect is unavoidable (such as during a sync error) a match will not be invalidated when a disconnect occurs.

Q: What maps will be used?
A:
As for the maps, after some consideration, experimentation and sampling feedback of several people I've come to the following set:
King of the Hill: The Eternal Guardians
Capture the Statue: Price of War
Domination: The Bitter Front
Blitzkrieg: The Bleak Mountains

The settings will be as follows:
TimeLimit: map default
CrateDropPeriod: 60 seconds
Retribution: Off
SuddenDeath: On
CrateDropMode: Weighted
BasicCratesOnly: On

Handicap: 90%
StartingPowerups: 0

ReinforcementTimer: 60 seconds
ReinforcementCount: 40
MaxArmour: 2
TurretFrequency: 2
MaxTurrets: 2

Q: Why are Assault and Rocket Riot not featured?
A: These game modes are considered the least competitive and least fun game modes of Multiwinia, with Assault in particular being quite unbalanced on practically every map.

Q: Will matches from this tournament in any way affect Ladder standings?
A: They will be indexed, but they will not be ranked, so they won't affect your rating.

Q: What's up for grabs? *wink*
A: The following prizes are available in the prize pool:
  • Uplink, Uplink, Darwinia and Defcon (Boxed PC versions or Mac retail codes, depending on the preference of the winner)
  • TGF's Fluff commission (explained here)
  • Several Foamwinians
We will use a prize pool system, where the 3 top players of the tournament getting to pick their prizes. The person ending in 1st place will get the first pick, the one in 2nd place will get to choose from the remaining two prizes, and the remaining prize goes to the person in 3rd place.

If you have any questions to ask, please do so in this topic and I will try to answer them as soon as possible.

Jelco
    Last edited by jelco on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
    sfericz
    level5
    level5

Postby sfericz » Sat May 02, 2009 12:58 am

Very nice, thanks! Signing up now.
    Phelanpt
    level5
    level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat May 02, 2009 4:58 am

Congrats Jelco! :)

Do you have any more dates besides the signup dates? I'm thinking of joining, but I'd to know what the timeframe would be.
    cheesemoo0
    level3
    level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Sat May 02, 2009 6:14 am

Hooray for the ladder!

I signed up and I'm hoping it will be at a decent hour.
    RabidZombie
    level5
    level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat May 02, 2009 9:03 am

Great feature.

A few suggestions though. ;)

1) Replay request on the match page?
    2) Ability to cancel your own requests on the queue?
    3) Ability to set a server password when requesting?

Currently, it's pretty non-user friendly. It's not clear how to get to the replay page (News -> View Details). Perhaps add it to the nav bar?

Also, the request limit needs to be decreased if there's no queue. :P
    NeatNit
    level5
    level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat May 02, 2009 11:44 am

I need some help...

"Signups are open! Secure your place in the tournament now by clicking the Signup link above." (http://www.multiwinia-ladder.net/tourney_main.php)
    There are 2 links above - one is the picture, which is linked to the exact same place, and one is the list of entrants, which does not have any signup form.

Help?

Edit: D'oh!! I wasn't logged in ><
    MarvintheParanoidAndroid
    level3
    level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Sat May 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Nice, I expect to do terribly but have signed up nevertheless! Fortunately I won't get far enough to be destroyed in Blitzkrieg :P
    jelco
    level5
    level5

Postby jelco » Sat May 02, 2009 12:49 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Great feature.

A few suggestions though. ;)

1) Replay request on the match page?
    2) Ability to cancel your own requests on the queue?
    3) Ability to set a server password when requesting?

Currently, it's pretty non-user friendly. It's not clear how to get to the replay page (News -> View Details). Perhaps add it to the nav bar?

Also, the request limit needs to be decreased if there's no queue. :P

I'm presuming this was supposed to go in the Ladder topic, but oh well. ;) I'm working on points 1 and 2, I'm not sure why 3 would be needed - a total of 5 spectators can join a replay so you shouldn't be kicked out of the game that you yourself requested. The replays are also now in the right bar, I will have to see if I can cram it in the top bar without screwing up the readability. The request limit might be decreased, but it's mostly there to prevent abuse (i.e. people spamming the queue with requests). (Please reply to this in the appropriate topic, keeps things organized. :))

Phelanpt wrote:Do you have any more dates besides the signup dates? I'm thinking of joining, but I'd to know what the timeframe would be.

cheesemoo0 wrote:I signed up and I'm hoping it will be at a decent hour.

The first part of the tourney will be at least a week, probably more if the current rate of signups keeps up. I want to allow plenty of time for all the matches to be played. Remember that the server will be available 24/7, so as long as you can agree on a play time with your opponent you'll be able to play a match (assuming the match queue isn't clogged). If there turns out to be high demand on peak hours I will add extra servers to cope with the demand. :)

I'll be updating the FAQ in a minute, I should get breakfast first. :P

Jelco
    "The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
    - Douglas Adams
    mr_shoe_uk
    level1
    level1

Postby mr_shoe_uk » Sat May 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Signed up :)
    Phelanpt
    level5
    level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat May 02, 2009 5:20 pm

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:Nice, I expect to do terribly(...)! Fortunately I won't get far enough to be destroyed in Blitzkrieg :P

(Almost) What he said.
    jelco
    level5
    level5

Postby jelco » Mon May 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Ambrosia have been very generous and will provide Mac retail codes of Uplink, Darwinia and Defcon. The winner can hence choose whether he wants the PC or Mac versions of his prizes. :) I'm still looking for prizes for the runner-ups, so stay tuned!

Jelco
    "The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
    bert_the_turtle
    level5
    level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon May 04, 2009 11:07 pm

Let's see how rusty I really got by not really playing in months.
    ynbniar
    level5
    level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon May 04, 2009 11:23 pm

Well played Jelco...I'll give it a go though I'm probably worse at MW than I am at Defcon :wink:
    cheesemoo0
    level3
    level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:06 am

My strategy is to not play any until the tournament match itself.
    MarvintheParanoidAndroid
    level3
    level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Tue May 05, 2009 2:51 am

cheesemoo0 wrote:My strategy is to not play any until the tournament match itself.

Copycat :(

Return to “General”