"Crate luck"

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

Kaizer
level1
level1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:27 am

"Crate luck"

Postby Kaizer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:25 am

I was playing a game on shrine of memory today against an opponent who was both skilled and polite, i.e. he seemed to be enjoying the game as well.

i ended up winning but as we finished off he started complaining about how i only won because i got lucky with crates, which suprised me because i played against him before and he always struck me as being above that kind of thing.

The point i make is thus: telling an opponent they only won because of crate luck leaves them with a bad taste in their mouth, even if they did get lucky why can't people just type 'gg' and beat them next round?

(also please note that i'm not trying to imply this problem is rampant, it's just every now and then i do see it pop up)

thoughts on this guys?
User avatar
Xocrates
level5
level5
Posts: 5262
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Postby Xocrates » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:44 am

Without having watched the game I can't really comment. It is possible to win/lose due to crate luck, and as far as I know he might not even have been mad about it.

If however, the game was overall balanced, then he was probably just a sore loser. Quite frankly this kind of situations is unavoidable unless you play with no crates.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5
Posts: 7898
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:54 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:58 am

It leaves just a bad a taste in the loser's mouth to be told by the game that the other player outperformed them when what actually won wasn't a player but what appears to be pure luck doing it for them. And if beating them next time means being the lucky one with crates, it still sucks.

I don't like non-basic crates in 2p maps (esp. rated) for exactly this reason: "Oh yay, I got the Meteor Shower this time. What's the most devastating thing I can do... ooh, your defensive line stopping me from going straight for your home spawns! Are you having fun, because I am!"
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:40 am

Mas Tnega wrote:It leaves just a bad a taste in the loser's mouth to be told by the game that the other player outperformed them when what actually won wasn't a player but what appears to be pure luck doing it for them. And if beating them next time means being the lucky one with crates, it still sucks.

I don't like non-basic crates in 2p maps (esp. rated) for exactly this reason: "Oh yay, I got the Meteor Shower this time. What's the most devastating thing I can do... ooh, your defensive line stopping me from going straight for your home spawns! Are you having fun, because I am!"

I played a game very much like that recently on Shrine to Memory. I got raped by ants in the first five minutes of the game, which pissed me off. The other player agreed that is entirely sucked, and we both shrugged and kept playing. I then got a meteor shower and several other good crates, and ended up barely winning the game. That sucked, too, because there was really no skill involved on either player's part. I don't think either of us much enjoyed the game.

xander
Kaizer
level1
level1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:27 am

Postby Kaizer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:40 am

the point im trying to make is that though its not the opposing player's fault, he/she still cops flak from the 'offended' player. I dont think thats fair. i agree that non-basic crates in 2p aren't fair, but we cant set basic crates on official forums.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5
Posts: 7898
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 11:54 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:56 pm

If flak's going out anywhere at any time, it's going to be at the only other human player at the end of the match. With how irritating it is, something's going to be said.
Kaizer
level1
level1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:27 am

Postby Kaizer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:13 pm

and do you believe that's good ettiquite? it's not justified, people shouldn't be getting so worked up about a videogame
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Kaizer wrote:and do you believe that's good ettiquite? it's not justified, people shouldn't be getting so worked up about a videogame

Who do you think that I think is more "worked up" about a video game: the person that curses their luck with crates in the middle of a game, or the person that takes the time to post to the forums about some guy that curses his luck with crates in the middle of a game?

xander
moth
level1
level1
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:57 pm

Postby moth » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:08 pm

I generally enjoy crate luck, good and bad. I take a certain pride in smiling in the face of bad luck, often hold back deploying powerups when i think i can win without them, and employ them with glee when i need them or just feel malicious.
Kaizer
level1
level1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:27 am

Postby Kaizer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:41 pm

okay xander you have to chill man i'm trying to discus the issue not winge about it. You're not helping the discussion.

See moth has the right idea, multiwina should be fun rather than everyone be at eachothers throats
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Kaizer wrote:okay xander you have to chill man i'm trying to discus the issue not winge about it. You're not helping the discussion.

See moth has the right idea, multiwina should be fun rather than everyone be at eachothers throats

The point xander is making is that there doesn't really seem any point in discussing it. You are not going to change the fact that there's an abundance of people out there who let themselves be carried away by games in a negative way, however sad it may be. You see, the point of a discussion is usually either to come to an agreement (i.e. resolve an argument), or to compare points of views. No matter how you twist or turn it, the 'discussion' you are talking about doesn't have a goal that fits either description, making it rather hollow and eventually rendering it virtually useless.

Also, let me clear up something for you: people disagreeing with you aren't personally attacking you per se, including myself. If there's anyone who needs to cool down, it's you for both letting these hotheads get to you and thinking everyone here is against you. :)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Kaizer
level1
level1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:27 am

Postby Kaizer » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 pm

i never really though that everyone was against me jelco, just xander. but i suppose you are right about discussing the issue. i'll drop it.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 am

Kaizer wrote:okay xander you have to chill man i'm trying to discus the issue not winge about it. You're not helping the discussion.

See moth has the right idea, multiwina should be fun rather than everyone be at eachothers throats

I am quite chill. I was neither upset nor attacking you when I posted. I am sorry that you have decided to interpret it that way. I just don't understand the point of this thread. Originally, I thought it had something to do with the element of luck in the game of Multiwinia, as indicated by the topic. Upon reading it, I discovered that it was instead a complaint about people that complain about that luck, and you indicated that people who complain about the luck of the crates get "worked up." I replied with a simple question, which I shall repeat: Who is more worked up?

On the one hand, there are people complaining about luck in the heat of the moment, when they are frustrated that luck has not gone their way. On the other hand, we have someone who seems to be so offended by this behaviour that they feel the need to post a topic in the forums about it. Clearly, you and I disagree about the severity or importance of the problem vis-à-vis the first group of people. This disagreement does not mean that I am attacking you. Rather, I would just like you to realize the irony of the position that you have put yourself in, with regard to the second group of people described.

xander
User avatar
NeatNit
level5
level5
Posts: 2929
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Postby NeatNit » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:23 pm

xander wrote:
Kaizer wrote:okay xander you have to chill man i'm trying to discus the issue not winge about it. You're not helping the discussion.

See moth has the right idea, multiwina should be fun rather than everyone be at eachothers throats

I am quite chill. I was neither upset nor attacking you when I posted. I am sorry that you have decided to interpret it that way. I just don't understand the point of this thread. Originally, I thought it had something to do with the element of luck in the game of Multiwinia, as indicated by the topic. Upon reading it, I discovered that it was instead a complaint about people that complain about that luck, and you indicated that people who complain about the luck of the crates get "worked up." I replied with a simple question, which I shall repeat: Who is more worked up?

On the one hand, there are people complaining about luck in the heat of the moment, when they are frustrated that luck has not gone their way. On the other hand, we have someone who seems to be so offended by this behaviour that they feel the need to post a topic in the forums about it. Clearly, you and I disagree about the severity or importance of the problem vis-à-vis the first group of people. This disagreement does not mean that I am attacking you. Rather, I would just like you to realize the irony of the position that you have put yourself in, with regard to the second group of people described.

xander
How do you do that? You know, act all friendly and serious and at the same time get the person you're talking to to hate your guts?
RabidZombie
level5
level5
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:06 pm

Vell, xander's just zis guy, you know?

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest